"The game English Football forgot"

Right lads and lass's (site porkers included) its derby week!!! so after the mystery of who will be our nxt manager has been solved and his initiation press conference completed lets get a bit of 'build up'  on the go.

I came across this video on youtube and although it was filmed just before our last meeting pretty much the same shizzle applies for friday's game. For me its a pretty accurate description of the differing attitudes between both sets of fans towards the derby. Mr pork chop in the stone island being a glaring example of a typical truffel nudger.

Yes for Wednesdayites  the game is still huge, them lot are with out doubt our biggest rivals and we want to put them in their place as much as we can, buuuut i cant help feeling that our fans tend to see the bigger picture far more than utd fans do. To quote the porker in the video "its what we live for beating them everything else is a bonus"

What do we all reckon? accurate or no? 

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Playing Sheffield United is always biggest game of the season but doesn't make it a successful season if we win on Friday.

Hope the whole club take the Derby a lot more seriously this time around then they did in September.

If they don’t we will be on the receiving end of a Boxing Day. 

They are like your annoying brother.
Yes is great to beat them, but I in no way measure ourselves against them as an achievement, and far more look forward to being seen as a serious respected team to play in England, rather than the best team in Sheffield.

cat-suckup-dog-ignore.gif.db2fc270f48bbe36fad9cc39287e6287.gif

Can someone enlighten me on something. They keep bleating about being the only Sheffield club and heart of the city because they are closer to the city centre. Erm I believe we were playing there before they were even born so how does that make them the heart of the city, it surely makes us the heart of the city.

Them saying it is like White Americans telling The First Peoples they belong there more!

Edited by darklord

2 minutes ago, High green blade said:

Decent video that. 

My work mates in Manchester have been adding to the build up by printing off little owls and putting them all over the office all week. reyt laugh. 

I am very nervous for this one. I would happily take a 1-1 right now

It surprises me that any Utd fan is nervous. I suppose nerves are natural when you're gong in as overwhelming favourites... 

Even when we (very temporarily) flirted with higher ambitions this was still THE big game. In some respects as neither side is consistently very good / hunting trophies I think this derby is more heated than many others.

As for Friday. The only time I was less confident than this derby was the Adam Bolder 2-2 when we were rubbish and injury ravaged. However we got a draw (minutes from a win). I would gladly take the same again

To be honest I will only care slightly more about losing against the blunts than I did about losing to Burton.

I will be pleased if we win but it won't make up for not fulfilling our potential this season.

The season is bigger than a couple of games.

3 minutes ago, darklord said:

Can someone enlighten me on something. They keep bleating about being the only Sheffield club and heart of the city because they are closer to the city centre. Erm I believe we were playing there before they were even born so how does that make them the heart of the city, it surely makes us the heart of the city

Personally I think the south barnsley thing is cringeworthy. In fact I find a lot of the point scoring for non football things really pathetic - from both sets of fans

Where i live the 2 sets of fans take the p155 out of each other for not winning the champions league or for only finishing 3rd in the prem. Both sets of Sheff fans try and point score about absolutely anything....... different topic, but is this one of the things holding us back? 

I could feel one of my whiney rants coming on there. Glad i held back

2 minutes ago, High green blade said:

Personally I think the south barnsley thing is cringeworthy. In fact I find a lot of the point scoring for non football things really pathetic - from both sets of fans

Where i live the 2 sets of fans take the p155 out of each other for not winning the champions league or for only finishing 3rd in the prem. Both sets of Sheff fans try and point score about absolutely anything....... different topic, but is this one of the things holding us back? 

I could feel one of my whiney rants coming on there. Glad i held back

The main hold back for you is you will not try and be original. its all jumping on our coat tails, stadium, history, calling us pigs, etc etc. Only thing you come up with yourselves is a 1970's table and forged in poo

3 minutes ago, darklord said:

Can someone enlighten me on something. They keep bleating about being the only Sheffield club and heart of the city because they are closer to the city centre. Erm I believe we were playing there before they were even born so how does that make them the heart of the city, it surely makes us the heart of the city

Not quite the same argument I know...but as an 'out of town owl' ive had all the "utd are the proper team of Sheffield for the people of sheffield" bollax thrown at me.

In Tom Whitworths book he explained once we moved to Owleton area of town we started getting more 'out of town' fans come to our games from the Garrison and the accommodation for out of town steel workers etc..  more recently in the 90s we picked up fans from elsewhere because of our relative success and utds lack of it.

so I kinda embrace that side of things