No idea if its correct or not but i have read that Jos likes a 4231 set up.

If so i look forward to that. With our players we could be pretty decent at that. Certainly Abdi and FF could flourish in that and we have enough DM to play it. 

Should have tried it 6 months ago.

18 minutes ago, billyblack said:

No idea if its correct or not but i have read that Jos likes a 4231 set up.

If so i look forward to that. With our players we could be pretty decent at that. Certainly Abdi and FF could flourish in that and we have enough DM to play it. 

Should have tried it 6 months ago.

Could work if we don't bring anyone in:

Joao

Reach                                                                   Boyd

Abdi

Hutch      Butterfield 

Pudil                     Loovens          Van Joost                    Hunt 

Wildsmith

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

Joao

Abdi

Hutch      Butterfield 

Wildsmith

It’s likw our current team, where’s the flipping right back 

5 minutes ago, Animis said:

Joao

Abdi

Hutch      Butterfield 

Wildsmith

I think that's about the best side he could put out in that position.

Though who knows whether Abdi is fit....

Certainly Joao is the better option as the lone man, being -IMO ay least- the only striker we have capable of stretching defences. And the others all being better suited to playing in a pairing -

Of course. ..he's hit and miss, and if he doesn't turn up the plan is very much out of the window.

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think that's about the best side he could put out in that position.

Though who knows whether Abdi is fit....

Certainly Joao is the better option as the lone man, being -IMO ay least- the only striker we have capable of stretching defences. And the others all being better suited to playing in a pairing -

Of course. ..he's hit and miss, and if he doesn't turn up the plan is very much out of the window.

I agree - difficult one as the coming game is more focused on the opposition and they'll press us from the off so we'll need numbers in our last third to protect our goal and then mop up. It's what we do with the ball then and with Reach, Joao and Boyd across the front three in essence, it would ensure they'll need to drop a back four to cover as these three have energy and pace at least. Hutch and Butterfield would protect Abdi allowing him to be the play-maker, in a Sheridan role.

If that's his chosen formation then some of those frozen out under Carlos could flourish under Jos and vice versa. 

Not sure we have a striker to play the lone role up front. If only Joao was a little stronger he'd be perfect!

Also think our CMs (apart from Hutch) are too lightweight to play in a two holding scenario. Get Clayton in from Boro.

The three behind the striker could be exciting. Yes they'd have to do their share defensively under Jos but imagine Abdi, Forestieri and one other pulling the strings and it promises much.

Im just looking forward to seeing a strong and disciplined side who harass the opposition high up the pitch.

16 minutes ago, Animis said:

Joao

Abdi

Hutch      Butterfield 

Wildsmith

have we so many out injured that joao is a starter?

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

I agree - difficult one as the coming game is more focused on the opposition and they'll press us from the off so we'll need numbers in our last third to protect our goal and then mop up. It's what we do with the ball then and with Reach, Joao and Boyd across the front three in essence, it would ensure they'll need to drop a back four to cover as these three have energy and pace at least. Hutch and Butterfield would protect Abdi allowing him to be the play-maker, in a Sheridan role.

Just put this in another thread, but the midfield really concerns me.

We simply can't allow ourselves to be picked off.

We were last time, even with better players available.

With No Bannan and Lee it becomes even more of a concern. 

image.png.44eea587a8b2b4129742155291df35a6.png

Of course they're missing Coutts,  but Duffy and Lundstrom have come in and done a job. (Shows the value of getting players to suit the system when the cover men can step straight in. )

If we play infront of them they'll love it. I feel we must get in behind them.

Run at them. Not sure we have the personel. 

Huge task for Jos to find the solutions.

if we do play that formation, and it isn't JUST ONE OF MANY HE'LL USE, then it would be hard to accommodate hooper.

he could play as one of the supporting 3 whilst in attack, however once we're defending he would have a lot of ground to make up to get into an attacking position, and a good many in our side haven't been used to moving 'QUICKLY' of late. i think we might be getting some 'unknown' germanic wonderboys as replacements for southern european 'tippytaps' who wilt once the autumn sets in. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Just put this in another thread, but the midfield really concerns me.

We simply can't allow ourselves to be picked off.

We were last time, even with better players available.

With No Bannan and Lee it becomes even more of a concern. 

image.png.44eea587a8b2b4129742155291df35a6.png

Of course they're missing Coutts,  but Duffy and Lundstrom have come in and done a job. (Shows the value of getting players to suit the system when the cover men can step straight in. )

If we play infront of them they'll love it. I feel we must get in behind them.

Run at them. Not sure we have the personel. 

Huge task for Jos to find the solutions.

Yes - I think we can only one of Jones or Butterfield (preferable neither if we had players fit/new signings), and it would have to be Butterfield for me, as i feel he's slightly more mobile. We definitely need Hutch in there.

The other option, which i don't think we'll play is to play Reach in the middle; allowing him to break from deep as you suggest, and put Matias out left.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Question is - are any of the other strikers better suited to the lone role than him? 

i'm not sure what joao is, i'm not sure that joao knows what joao is, when we are doing well it could be described as unpredictable for defenders, when not, as inconsistent.

3 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i'm not sure what joao is, i'm not sure that joao knows what joao is, when we are doing well it could be described as unpredictable for defenders, when not, as inconsistent.

And I think therein lies one of the reasons why Carlos gave his own

4-2-3-1 the boot.