Will there now be a mass exodus/incoming of players?

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I hope we have a huge clearout

The Carlos era is over

Let's have a clear out and start an exciting new time at our club with some new superstars coming in and washing out the old

It's needed

One hundred percent agree with this but will he have enough time in this window to assess the players and set up transfers out?

I think it’s easier to mention those to keep as opposed to lose! 

Keep;

Wildsmith

Hunt

Lees

Reach

Lee (if prove fitness)

Hutchinson (as above)

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Winnall

Joao?? 

Do our utmost to keep Hirst and start to inject some of our youth like Clare and Penney! 

As for the rest I wouldn’t be too gutted as they’ll either be injury prone, getting on, large salaries or simply not good enough! 

Guest RocketOwl
7 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

I'm happy with Jos over many of the merry-go-round managers being linked. To do what he's achieved is impressive, but I can't help feel that our group of players isn't suited to him at all. It seems he wants fit, hard-working, solid players which are a total opposite to a lot that Carlos brought in (unfit, talented but mentally and physically weak).

So do people see a mass turnover of players coming either in now or summer? I can see Jos bringing in a few of his choices, and giving most a chance to impress until the summer. But I can then see a lot not being what he wants and let go (by that I mean half the squad!), and hopefully replaced with quality. 

And I don't think anyone would blame him based on the gutless displays shown this season. But on the other hand could Jos manage to get these players fitter, more hard working himself? That would be impressive and would turn us into a far better team, but based on our aging squad im not sure he will.

It's evolution vs revolution. And personally I feel a revolution might be coming, which might well be what is needed.

Westwood Lees FF Bannan

These four are the only 4 any decent team would want. 

7 hours ago, marshy said:

it's not a question of age, it's a question of ability & attitude. 

Quite. Looking at https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/startseite/wettbewerb/GB2, yes, we are one of the oldest squads, but two of the three teams above us in that list currently sit 2nd and 3rd in the table. On the other hand, Wolves have one of the youngest squads and are top (albeit, they're a special case). 

7 hours ago, gazzamk2 said:

As we know, after Wembley we needed more pace and power. It didn't happen and we have slowly declined with the passing of time since.

We weren't declining slowly and steadily when we finished higher in the league and increased our points tally last season, were we? Having said that, I would agree that, while our injury crisis this season has been pretty much unprecedented, the warning signs were there towards the back of last season. 

38 minutes ago, flash said:

I think it’s easier to mention those to keep as opposed to lose! 

Keep;

Wildsmith

Hunt

Lees

Reach

Lee (if prove fitness)

Hutchinson (as above)

Bannan

FF

Hooper

Winnall

Joao?? 

Do our utmost to keep Hirst and start to inject some of our youth like Clare and Penney! 

As for the rest I wouldn’t be too gutted as they’ll either be injury prone, getting on, large salaries or simply not good enough! 

I'd go further. Hunt, Lees, Reach , Winnall and Joao. Those five have shown this season that they don't offer very much. Unless Lee and FF prove their fitness I can see them also being shown the door. It requires a mass clear out. New manager, new regime. 

While I tend to agree it's just so strange because that first season that Carlos was in charge things were so different. We were super fit in that season and we ran with high pressing in all areas of the field. What happened? 

The problem we also have is that people seem to think 'having a clear out' is dead easy. Carlos and chansiri have made a right mess by signing aging, expensive players on long term contracts. It's not easy to Just get rid of them. Who's going to be offering bids for them after this season's display? Even if they did, is any team going to match the wages they are on here? I bet not too many would move for a pay cut.

Does anyone know who is out of contact this summer?

Edited by poite
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, briggowl said:

You don't just get rid of players though, it's not that easy. 

George Boyd on £30k/week for 3 years, who's realistically going to pay that wage or even £20k if he was desperate to leave.

Abdi £25k a week for 2 more years, we payed £4m, not played regularly in 18 months. Who will even pay a transfer fee for the privilege of matching the wage of an injury prone player?

Rhodes on £40k/week for 3 years, cost £10m. In the worst form of his life. would anyone gamble on even £3m and get anywhere near his £40k per week wage demands?

3 examples, I have no idea how accurate wages are but it makes the point. So many out of form/injured highly paid, probably past their best players, we're not getting rid of them without them hitting some consistent form.

UTO

Thats why the CEO has come in! 

19 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

What has become clear during this injury crisis is that our "squad " players simply are not good enough. 

The amount of injuries we've had would affect any team, to be fair. For example, it's all right saying that the team we put out against Burton Albion, or Carlisle today, cost more than either of those sides, but, as Chris Powell mentioned on the BBC today, you lose the fluidity when you have so many second-stringers in the team (not that we've had much fluidity this season anyway). You can get away with one or two replacements, but not half the side. 

43 minutes ago, poite said:

While I tend to agree it's just so strange because that first season that Carlos was in charge things were so different. We were super fit in that season and we ran with high pressing in all areas of the field. What happened? 

The problem we also have is that people seem to think 'having a clear out' is dead easy. Carlos and chansiri have made a right mess by signing aging, expensive players on long term contracts. It's not easy to Just get rid of them. Who's going to be offering bids for them after this season's display? Even if they did, is any team going to match the wages they are on here? I bet not too many would move for a pay cut.

Does anyone know who is out of contact this summer?

I believe the following are out of contract, Pudil, Wallace, Loovens, Nuhiu and Kean (who is now on loan to Grimsby for rest of season). I'd let all of them go .

9 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

I believe the following are out of contract, Pudil, Wallace, Loovens, Nuhiu and Kean (who is now on loan to Grimsby for rest of season). I'd let all of them go .

Thanks. I agree 

10 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Correct. Venancio and Butterfield will be sent back. 

Kieran Lee and Wildsmith are out of contract. I expect Wildsmith will be given a 4 year contract and Lee a 2 year deal

as long as he can prove his fitness.

I'm amazed some people think we are going to just be able to get rid of players with ease!

Who is going to want players we don't want, who have chronically underperformed this season and pay them the high wages they are probably on!

Players like Matias, Abdi, Jones, Wallace won't be going anywhere because no one will want them or pay them the wages they are on!

I definitely  expect to see a few players who Jos knows well  from the German league coming in. players he knows he can trust to do the job he wants from them. Of all the European leagues , Germany is probably the closest to the British game .

11 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I'm amazed some people think we are going to just be able to get rid of players with ease!

Who is going to want players we don't want, who have chronically underperformed this season and pay them the high wages they are probably on!

Players like Matias, Abdi, Jones, Wallace won't be going anywhere because no one will want them or pay them the wages they are on!

Wallace is out of contract at the end of the season. 

We will struggle to get a buyer for the other 3. Matias and Abdi in particular