Will there now be a mass exodus/incoming of players?

I'm happy with Jos over many of the merry-go-round managers being linked. To do what he's achieved is impressive, but I can't help feel that our group of players isn't suited to him at all. It seems he wants fit, hard-working, solid players which are a total opposite to a lot that Carlos brought in (unfit, talented but mentally and physically weak).

So do people see a mass turnover of players coming either in now or summer? I can see Jos bringing in a few of his choices, and giving most a chance to impress until the summer. But I can then see a lot not being what he wants and let go (by that I mean half the squad!), and hopefully replaced with quality. 

And I don't think anyone would blame him based on the gutless displays shown this season. But on the other hand could Jos manage to get these players fitter, more hard working himself? That would be impressive and would turn us into a far better team, but based on our aging squad im not sure he will.

It's evolution vs revolution. And personally I feel a revolution might be coming, which might well be what is needed.

We do have a lot of ageing footballers on our hands. If he can get them playing his way I'm sure a few will stick around but the likes of Jones, Wallace, Loovens, Abdi, Boyd and quite a few others could be shown the door. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I hope we have a huge clearout

The Carlos era is over

Let's have a clear out and start an exciting new time at our club with some new superstars coming in and washing out the old

It's needed

i believe this is true  

starting with a completely new defence  incl lees when we can get him fit 

i have no idea whether we have enough FFP leeway to get loan players in but that burton match will go down in textbooks as how to resign en bloc as a defence 

3 minutes ago, GerOwl said:

We do have a lot of ageing footballers on our hands. If he can get them playing his way I'm sure a few will stick around but the likes of Jones, Wallace, Loovens, Abdi, Boyd and quite a few others could be shown the door. 

Who are these geriatrics? You do know that the peak time for a footballer is generally 28 - 32. How many over 32's do we have ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Can see Morgan Fox legging it as soon as humanly possible too

you have to think he's briefed the rest on a certain lady's antics

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

Who are these geriatrics? You do know that the peak time for a footballer is generally 28 - 32. How many over 32's do we have ?

I believe if we can get these injured players back fitter for next season we have a fair bit of experience to call on we need to add a bit of vigour and pace to that experience

I would think it's a wake up call and fresh start to many of the players. The complacent ones will need to wake up or gotten rid of and for the ones that hardly had a chance under Carlos it's a chance for them to earn their way back in. I'd get rid of a few players but some players could be like new signings. We've lacked pace and power for a long time and that's what we needed ever since after Wembley, hopefully we'll finally rebuild the team with some much needed pace and power?

8 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

It's not, players generally peak at 25-29 imo. Certainly it does change for positions, with experience more important for defenders/keepers and youth (pace) important for strikers/wingers.

Look at Jordan Rhodes. He's what 28? You can't tell me he hasn't peaked already, he peaked at 25 at Blackburn, or was arguably better even younger back in his Hudds days.

Edited by swfc-dan

Certainly the group except two or three that played vs Burton can go as far as I am concerned.

Unprofessional and they let their colleagues and team mates down.

Whether anyone from the 'injured' group join them out of the door would be business decisions.

Hopefully Jos can see that we need strength and pace and if that means we lose some of our 'assets' to fund them then fair enough.

6 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Accept your view but don't agree with it. For 10-15 years or so it was. Like most sports its a young mans game nowadays. How many 30+ year old strikers, wingers and midfielders do you see in the modern game at the top level(taking out world class players like Ronaldo, Ibra etc). CB and defensive midfielders are usually the more experienced ones in a squad. 

I'd like to think a good mix of experience and youth is what he will go for. H'energy throughout the team.

Guest Jack the Hat

As I said on a different thread, I can't see many of the squad fitting into his style of play, assuming what I've read is true. Our BIG BIG problem for me is the defence. This needs to be looked at ASAP. He has connections via an assistant with VAN Aken - if he can tap into his potential and use his connections to bring in a few loanees who can form a unit. that would be a start. The rest should not be rushed. When the injuries clear up we don't have that bad a squad other than at the back.

Fresh start for all I would guess. Three or four needing to impress for new contracts. Four or five just needing to impress. I'm looking forward to what he manages to achieve with the likes of lees, lee reach and hooper personally.

But I think we will see a few German loanees arriving in the next few weeks. Can't see many leaving due to lack of time to assess them, lack of fitness  lack of players, lack of interest in taking them.