OFFICIAL - SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY HAVE NEW MANAGER

Sheffield Wednesday are delighted to announce the appointment of Jos Luhukay as the club’s new manager.

The Dutchman arrives at Hillsborough with a wealth of experience in the German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga.

In the world of German football, the 54-year-old is regarded as ‘the Bundesliga promotion expert’ as no other coach in Germany can demonstrate a better track record.

Every club in 2. Bundesliga Luhukay has coached has achieved promotion.

Born in Venlo, Netherlands, the former midfielder signed for hometown club VVV-Venlo as a 15-year-old in 1989.

Following a spell with RKC Waalwijk between 1991 and 1993, Luhukay headed for Germany where he embarked on a successful coaching career after two stints with SV Straelen and KFC Uerdingen as a player.

Owlstalk Shop

His first foray into management came with Straelen and then Uerdingen before being appointed by Bundesliga side FC Koln as assistant coach.

Luhukay had a short spell as manager of 2. Bundesliga side SC Paderborn in 2005 – a club very much on the rise at that time in German football and one that would go on to achieve promotion to the top flight some years later.

His next port of call represented a big step up in class, becoming assistant coach of Borussia Monchengladbach before landing the head coach role following the resignation of Jupp Heynckes.

Monchengladbach had suffered relegation from the top flight in the 2006/07 season but under the guidance of Luhukay made an immediate return as champions of 2. Bundesliga.

In April 2009, Luhukay took charge of 2. Bundesliga side FC Augsburg. Under the Dutchman, Augsburg enjoyed a successful 2009/10 season, reaching the semi finals of the DFB-Pokal as well as finishing third in the league.

Promotion to the top tier came the following season when Augsburg finished runners-up, earning a place in the Bundesliga for the first time in the club’s history.

Luhukay had the same strong impact with Hertha Berlin after taking the reins in the summer of 2012.

During his maiden campaign in the German capital, Hertha broke the record for the most points in a 2. Bundesliga season on the way to the title, achieving 76 from 34 games and finishing nine clear of Eintracht Braunschweig in second place.

Having taken Hertha back to the top flight, Luhukay steered the Berlin side to an 11th placed finish in their first season back in the Bundesliga.

The 2016/17 season saw Luhukay head to the Mercedes-Benz Arena for a short spell as coach of a VfB Stuttgart team that would go on to achieve promotion.

He now begins the next chapter of his career with the Owls and will officially take charge on Monday 8 January, when the club’s new manager will be formally introduced to the media at Hillsborough.

Owlstalk Shop

Luhukay said: "In Germany I have turned down offers from the Bundesliga and Second Bundesliga in recent months because I have been looking for an entirely new challenge.

“Sheffield Wednesday is exactly the exciting challenge for which I have been waiting. We shall now work together with all the staff at the club and the fans, to stabilise the team, and following that, improve it step by step with discipline, effort, commitment and creativity to take it up.”

Owls chairman Dejphon Chansiri added: “I am delighted to welcome Jos to Hillsborough.

“Following an extensive search for the right candidate to take us forward, I am thoroughly convinced Jos is that man.

“His track record and experience suggested he was the perfect fit and once I spoke with him, there was no doubt in my mind that Jos would become our new manager.

“I wish him all the very best and every success.”

Owlstalk Shop