Dale Johnson (ESPN) on Jos Luhukay and his tactics

Dour isn't the problem. It's being pegged back all game because you are crap that's the problem.

I don't care if he  "knows this league".

He probably knows as much as any foreign coach.

He knows German and Dutch football and that's not too be sniffed at.

If he brings a few good German players over that could be good us.

I'm sick of the Butterfield's and Jones's, Lamberts and McLaren's.

Let's try something different. It nearly worked with Carlos.

On 1/5/2018 at 07:10, @owlstalk said:

08-12-13-34-35-33513-71-626-jpg.jpg

He is Dutch but opted to do his coaching badges in Germany, so doesn’t view himself as a Dutch trainer.

Remy Reynierse (ex Netherlands U21) and Olaf Jansen were Jos Luhukay's assistants at Stuttgart. Jansen left job as manager of St Pauli last month.

Worth noting Remy Reijnierse picked Joost van Aken for the Netherlands Under-21 squad when he was in charge in 2015

Safety-first coach with conservative tactics. Often man to man marking; strong leadership and a disciplinarian

Jos Luhukay's 5 training theses.

1. Winning builds team spirit

2. Tactics stand or fall on preparation

3. Playing 5/6 different systems is nonsense

4. We are not here to have fun

5. If the players are happy doing something, they do it better

Worth pointing out too that Jos Luhukay has managed clubs with big attendances -- Hertha Berlin averaged 40k, Gladbach have a capacity of 54k. Don't be fooled into thinking he managed "little clubs" - Augsburg also averaged 30k.

Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff but that was mainly working with average players at Augsburg who he led to promotion in 2011 and kept them in up

Took the job 2016 at Stuttgart in 2.Bundesliga who had just been relegated, won three of first five games but left post early with reports of differences of opinons with DOF.

Gained reputation for an expert at promotions from 2.Bundesliga so he left Augsburg to go to capital city club, Hertha. Naturally he won promotion at the first attempt as champions but don't recall over expansive, attractive football.

I don't like laziness" - Jos is a disciplinarian and considered a canny tactician Along with three promotions, also got Augsburg to playoffs but lost out to Ilkay Gundogan's Nuremberg in 2010

Don`t points 4 and 5 kinda contradict each other.

All about expectations now, new man is coming in to steady the ship CC when he came in was about going for it expansive football lots of goals etc

JL in a way has a blank canvas to set us up and make us hard to beat because we don't expect anything else, we still have the players at this level when fit to hurt teams

Someone said earlier buckle up for the ride. 

Oh and as I said earlier on points  4 and 5 I'm happy at work but not having fun, there is a difference. 

I read it as players prefer to be played in there correct positions and played to there strengths. Surely this makes them happy

fun is going on holiday , theme park etc.

they are professionals who play football for a living.  Work hard win games and they will be happy.  Have fun after the season has finished for a few weeks.

why does everyone seem to take this dale Johnson's word as gospel ?.......we all have had opinions on various players/managers.style of play that have been shot down by others on here and yet some bloke we don't know says his style is dour then most take it on board . the fact that his berlin side were the top scorers in the league while playing winning football don't sound dour to me . 

I get the sense we will be efficient, not the Carlos style of efficient but the Wagner style we saw last year, high energy, high press.

Of course with our current fitness issues that is a big ask in the short term, but feel we will make progress over the summer and see a marked difference next year in tempo.

39 minutes ago, torryowl said:

why does everyone seem to take this dale Johnson's word as gospel ?.......we all have had opinions on various players/managers.style of play that have been shot down by others on here and yet some bloke we don't know says his style is dour then most take it on board . the fact that his berlin side were the top scorers in the league while playing winning football don't sound dour to me . 

He’s a tad hit and miss imo. Although tends to check his facts when writing articles. 

We need back to basics, organisation and steel back in the side. Leadership is also severely lacking. If Jos can bring these qualities into the side then we can worry about the football later.

Edited by pussface

28 minutes ago, striker said:

I get the sense we will be efficient, not the Carlos style of efficient but the Wagner style we saw last year, high energy, high press.

Of course with our current fitness issues that is a big ask in the short term, but feel we will make progress over the summer and see a marked difference next year in tempo.

Efficient can get you promoted from this league. Especially if you have a couple of match winners in attacking areas.

The new guy certainly has his work cut out with the ridiculous amount of injuries to key players, but he seems like a guy that will take no poo and can hopefully make us solid and tough to beat again.

2 hours ago, owls101 said:

I thought that too!

I think it’s more that players are here to do a job not lark about etc. 

With them playing in positions they’re comfortable with and clearly know what their role is they’ll perform better.

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 01:59, Sgt Wednesday said:

Rubbish.

Hunt is everything a wing back should be, can get up and down, can defend when needed and decent enough going forward.

You are on another planet if you think there is a better right wing back in the Championship.

Now if we are playing wing backs then Adam Reach would be my mine on the left. Fox and Pudil don't have the mobility.

Finally, it says he prefers 4-2-3-1, where did the wing back discussion come from?

We need more than "getting up and down" if we are to challenge in this league. I can't remember the last time Hunt skinned a man and delivered a quality ball in to the box? (Birmingham at home last season?)

The way Carlos had us setup put great emphasis on our full backs contributing going forward but bizarrely he didn't recruit the right personnel.

Also give me any of the following over Hunt:

Ayling

Doherty

Christie

Sessegnon 

Even Baldock for the pigs looked 10x better earlier in the season.

8 hours ago, Tapeworm said:

We need more than "getting up and down" if we are to challenge in this league. I can't remember the last time Hunt skinned a man and delivered a quality ball in to the box? (Birmingham at home last season?)

Did you read the bit about defending and decent enough going forward?

He did it against Brentford before he went off injured.

The way Carlos had us setup put great emphasis on our full backs contributing going forward but bizarrely he didn't recruit the right personnel.

Which is now obvious, CC didn't do a very good job after the first season in the transfer window.

Also give me any of the following over Hunt:

Ayling

Doherty

Christie

Sessegnon 

Even Baldock for the pigs looked 10x better earlier in the season.

Opinions, I rate Jack Hunt, clearly you don't, people who have zero knowledge of football tend to judge a player immediately after one performance. You know, like you did with Baldock, Ayling, Doherty and Christie.

Baldock was ok against us, he was helped by our lack of width and players will look better if they are playing for the team who are on top.

Sessegnon looks a top prospect.

16 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Did you read the bit about defending and decent enough going forward?

He did it against Brentford before he went off injured.

Which is now obvious, CC didn't do a very good job after the first season in the transfer window.

Opinions, I rate Jack Hunt, clearly you don't, people who have zero knowledge of football tend to judge a player immediately after one performance. You know, like you did with Baldock, Ayling, Doherty and Christie.

Baldock was ok against us, he was helped by our lack of width and players will look better if they are playing for the team who are on top.

Sessegnon looks a top prospect.

But "decent enough" isn't the answer for a promotion winning side is it?

Pretty laughable comment about my knowledge of football when you've stated that Jack Hunt is the best right wingback in the league but then classed him as "decent enough" in the same breath.

My problem with Hunt is this notion that he's effective going forward. He isn't and fails to deliver time and time again. If we were to play him as an out and out wingback then we'd be relying on him to deliver quality in to the box - something I don't think he's capable of.

Opinions aside, we have much bigger problems than him at the moment.

On 06/01/2018 at 07:57, sheriwozgod said:

Don`t points 4 and 5 kinda contradict each other.

I read it as being happy playing your football . Having fun is something you do after you've won not d1ck1ng about on the pitch having fun knowing that no matter the result you still get paid a shed load .