Dale Johnson (ESPN) on Jos Luhukay and his tactics

I really hope that the football he plays isn't as dour as what I've heard from various sources over in Germany over the last 12 hours.

Having sat through the last 12 months of boring, negative football at Hillsborough, going to watch Wednesday has become a chore and I was really hoping that this appointment would get the best out of the wealth of attacking talent we have at the club.

We really do have the players to play a more attractive, attack minded game and it's been criminal how our attacking options have been used under Carlos in his last 12 months in charge.

I'll back the guy 100% when he's here but on the face of it I do have a few serious reservations.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, basegreenowl said:

Been trying to find out out the few systems he plays. After a few Google searches I was only able to find he plays 4-4-2. Does anyone know if he plays another system? Three at the back or one with a few anchor men sitting might turn results in this league. 

Plays only 3-5-2 mate

Its in the Jos Luhakey threadI think

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Plays only 3-5-2 mate

Its in the Jos Luhakey threadI think

That's slightly more encouraging, I know I (and quite a few others) have thought for sometime that we have the players who would really suit this system... when they're all fit!!

2 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I really hope that the football he plays isn't as dour as what I've heard from various sources over in Germany over the last 12 hours.

Having sat through the last 12 months of boring, negative football at Hillsborough, going to watch Wednesday has become a chore and I was really hoping that this appointment would get the best out of the wealth of attacking talent we have at the club.

We really do have the players to play a more attractive, attack minded game and it's been criminal how our attacking options have been used under Carlos in his last 12 months in charge.

I'll back the guy 100% when he's here but on the face of it I do have a few serious reservations.

I think somebody posted that his team scored 60 gaols in 30 matches...hardly dour football

2 hours ago, bigrbuk said:

Carlos played sexy football and had relative success, he gradually tightened up, performances got worse and so did results. Frustration stemmed from moving to negative football combined with negative results.

IF this guy plays conservative football but wins, I'm sure it will be better received - we're starting out from a baseline of dull already.

Carlos landed on his feet with match fit conditioned players for 1 season.

performances changed in season 2 not just this season, when fitness and conditioning was neglected and carlos own stamp took hold, granted we made the playoffs, but we should have been pushing for top 2.

i will obviously wish this manager all the best and will back him, but have we swapped negative for negative?

only time will tell

10 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I kind of agree, but right now I’ll take dour, negative football that’s effective as being an improvement on dour, negative football that isn’t.

2 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Positives:

Experienced

Generally good track record

Clear philosophy

Not a “Yes Man”

Negatives:

Dull football

Silly moustache

No experience of managing in the EFL

Silly moustache

Track record for flouncing out if he doesn’t get his own way

Silly moustache

Oh, and…..

….Silly moustache

Seriously, this is a bit of a gamble by DC. It could turn out to be a genius left-field appointment like David Wagner, or Luhaky may just be out of his depth. My gut feel is that I’m not convinced he’s the long term solution, but he might just be the right man to stabilise a season that’s spinning out of control. If he can organise the team properly, drill them until each player clearly understands their role and instil a bit of a work ethic then at least we might start grinding out enough points here and there to get ourselves out of trouble.

Not sure how he could be out of his depth when he's managed bigger clubs than us already in his career.

Have to admit the difference from Carlos seems minimal. If he implements winning football I don't care how dour it is, but we've been playing less then expansive football this season and so far it's been a disaster. Always felt like we needed somebody to come in and fire a rocket up the squad's backsides and root out the complacency - but in fairness, I reckon Carlos probably did give them the hairdryer treatment, he just didn't allow it to leak out.

Guest Jack the Hat
3 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

They spoke to the regular guest European footballl expert on Talksport radio last night at about 1.10am.

The presenter explained that someone called Jos Luhukay is currently the favourite for the Sheffield Wednesday job.

This expert replied that Luhukay is Dutch but has worked mainly in the German leagues at some big clubs such as Hertha and Stuttgart.

He also said and I quote “He has a reputation for playing dour football but has a good record for gaining promotions”.

All appointments are risks, so would take past performances/ reputations with a pinch of salt.

Sounds good . Use him to get us up then get rid and appoint pep guadiola. Problem solved. Any more problems just let us know. Your welcome !

Defensive careful/style doesn't suit the players we have. So if he gets the job he will need 4/5 new players (prob on loan). They will need to be up and running from the off or we could end up in big shyte.

Or he could try and adapt the players we have to suit his ideas...that will only end up in tears cos it's been tried already by the master.