Dull football

Silly moustache

No experience of managing in the EFL

Silly moustache

Track record for flouncing out if he doesn’t get his own way

Silly moustache

Oh, and…..

….Silly moustache

Seriously, this is a bit of a gamble by DC. It could turn out to be a genius left-field appointment like David Wagner, or Luhaky may just be out of his depth. My gut feel is that I’m not convinced he’s the long term solution, but he might just be the right man to stabilise a season that’s spinning out of control. If he can organise the team properly, drill them until each player clearly understands their role and instil a bit of a work ethic then at least we might start grinding out enough points here and there to get ourselves out of trouble.

1 minute ago, Bottler Owl said:

The Arsenal team with Henry, Bergkamp, Pires and Ljunberg? lol

I get your point though. Need to be solid first and go from there, I'm behind him if he is indeed the man.

My error. Meant the Arsenal double-winning team including Dixon, Adams, Bould, Winterburn, Keown, Parlour, Petit, etc. 

39 minutes ago, ramone said:

Deary me. Some of the posts in this thread are great. 

I'd hazard a guess that 99% of Wednesday fans of NEVER heard of him yet he's already not good enough. 

Look at the guys CV. He's managed much bigger than us and his record suggest he's succeeded EVERYWHERE he's been. 

Whether its free flowing football or a conservative approach... Either/or, you get 3 points for a win. 

I'm really excited by this appointment. I like the unknown. From what i've read he seems a disciplinarian. If you watched Wednesday against Burton (or most games this season) surely you realise thats EXACTLY what we need right now. 

Could be just what van aken needs too

IF the Guy comes he has my sympathy.

He'll be taking on :-

A squad of supposed first teamers who are either long term sick or injured.

A squad of unfit players -we know that but won't admit it.

A fan-base divided among itself.

A fan-base divided as to his suitability for the job.

Life s not going to be a bed of roses for anyone taking over this club,playing-wise.  

And forget this tosh about knowing the Championship. It's a Football League, nothing more. It has the exception that, unlike the Premiership, its first five or six are not always the same clubs.  And why this sudden downplaying of European football. Forgive me , but haven't Germany (and Holland for that matter) out-performed England since 1966?  

33 minutes ago, ramone said:

Deary me. Some of the posts in this thread are great. 

I'd hazard a guess that 99% of Wednesday fans of NEVER heard of him yet he's already not good enough. 

Look at the guys CV. He's managed much bigger than us and his record suggest he's succeeded EVERYWHERE he's been. 

Whether its free flowing football or a conservative approach... Either/or, you get 3 points for a win. 

I'm really excited by this appointment. I like the unknown. From what i've read he seems a disciplinarian. If you watched Wednesday against Burton (or most games this season) surely you realise thats EXACTLY what we need right now. 

Great post and was just about to write almost the same.

I love watching Guardiola’s teams, I also loved watching Italy in 2006, and Leicester 2015/16. Winning is exciting, good play (whether attacking or defensive) is exciting. This guy apparently broke the 2. Bundesliga points record (although I get the standard may be different). That’s exciting to me.

Couple that with the fact he has managed bigger teams than us with bigger attendances - I’m guessing he can handle pressure.

Plus look at that tache and smile FFS - automatic hero.

:luhukay:

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

Great post and was just about to write almost the same.

I love watching Guardiola’s teams, I also loved watching Italy in 2006, and Leicester 2015/16. Winning is exciting, good play (whether attacking or defensive) is exciting. This guy apparently broke the 2. Bundesliga points record (although I get the standard may be different). That’s exciting to me.

Couple that with the fact he has managed bigger teams than us with bigger attendances - I’m guessing he can handle pressure.

Plus look at that tache and smile FFS - automatic hero.

:luhukay:

Careful, agreeing with me can get you into some right bother on here... :luhukay:

On a serious note, and i'm basing this on nothing other than my own gut feeling, i think he'll be a breath of fresh air. I've got more giddy over this guy than I have over any of the other guys have been bookies favourites so far so that must say something. That goes for Fonseca and AVB. Dont know why, its just a hunch. 

I like the fact he has promotion experience. I think the Championship is a different kettle of fish to the 2nd Division in Germany. I should imagine, out of his 3 promotions from that league, there was more expectation on him as the teams he managed in that league will have been big hitters. But if you;re the big hitters there's more pressure and you've got to be able to handle it. The fact he took a team up with the record points total shows he can handle pressure. 

3 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Welcome him, will support him, but still the wrong choice.

Hillsborough does not need, nor deserve, DOUR football.

Hope that side is not seen at s6

If he gets us winning games and keeps us up, who cares what style of football we play.

If he comes in I hope he gets the buggers fit in the summer to play for 90 mins a game.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

If he gets us winning games and keeps us up, who cares what style of football we play.

If he comes in I hope he gets the buggers fit in the summer to play for 90 mins a game.

You sir are spot on F--- all this passy passy football ,I want a winning mentality win any way we can ,Smash the Blades.

His price has started to drift not a done deal yet by any means.

I would give him a chance but think he needs someone with know how of english leagues as his assistant. It would be great if brought in some German players far more suited to English style than say Portugese.

Reading his methods our squad are weak on defensive minded players so will need a few new players if to use those tactics.

Big turn around from DC. Started out wanting attacking football but now going for dour pragmatic football. Not a problem, maybe he is actually learning something about the reality of the game. Fans want exciting games but to get promotion with fast attacking football can be very expensive and a team that is defensively well disciplined can frustrate that type of team and counter attack. A strong well disciplined team is relatively cheap to put together, Stuart Gray did it on a shoestring. I've advocated Stuart as the new manager many times since Carlos went, it was never going to happen but maybe DC has found a guy in the same mould but with more managerial experience.

Don't build your hopes up about the derby, the new guy won't have got his feet under the table by the time that game comes around. It's unfair to judge him on it It's going to take time to increase fitness levels and introduce the new tactical strategy. We won't have a full strength side either so reduce expectations and expect the pig fans to take the P if we lose. Best chance we have is that their form isn't great at present.

I'm hoping that DC's new pragmatic approach, the new manager and the new CEO can all pick the club up from it's current malaise and get things properly organised. A few new players in the summer and we can kick on. If it doesn't work out that way we wait for things to change again.   

Apart from the "Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff" bit, i'm happyish, the so called players need someone to "get it up em" and scare the shyte outta them, spineless cowards they have become, fingers crossed this will work out...

Edited by steveger

'They need to know the league' is probably my most hated phrase at the moment. Why do they? The rules are the same, the objectives are the same. If he has a clear philosophy on and off the pitch, the rest will fall into place. Maybe not knowing the league will help, it wont hold him back, it wont make him show certain players and certain teams different levels of respect, not having much knowledge could be a breath of fresh air. What's having a knowledge of the league done for Lambert, Grayson, McClaren recently? Nowt

Just now, WorrallOwl17 said:

'They need to know the league' is probably my most hated phrase at the moment. Why do they? The rules are the same, the objectives are the same. If he has a clear philosophy on and off the pitch, the rest will fall into place. Maybe not knowing the league will help, it wont hold him back, it wont make him show certain players and certain teams different levels of respect, not having much knowledge could be a breath of fresh air. What's having a knowledge of the league done for Lambert, Grayson, McClaren recently? Nowt

Exactly

All Carlos bleated on about for the last 12 months was the league and how dangerous each team is. It bred fear and negativity

Let's just have a crack at it

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

08-12-13-34-35-33513-71-626-jpg.jpg

He is Dutch but opted to do his coaching badges in Germany, so doesn’t view himself as a Dutch trainer.

Remy Reynierse (ex Netherlands U21) and Olaf Jansen were Jos Luhukay's assistants at Stuttgart. Jansen left job as manager of St Pauli last month.

Worth noting Remy Reijnierse picked Joost van Aken for the Netherlands Under-21 squad when he was in charge in 2015

Safety-first coach with conservative tactics. Often man to man marking; strong leadership and a disciplinarian

Jos Luhukay's 5 training theses.

1. Winning builds team spirit

2. Tactics stand or fall on preparation

3. Playing 5/6 different systems is nonsense

4. We are not here to have fun

5. If the players are happy doing something, they do it better

Worth pointing out too that Jos Luhukay has managed clubs with big attendances -- Hertha Berlin averaged 40k, Gladbach have a capacity of 54k. Don't be fooled into thinking he managed "little clubs" - Augsburg also averaged 30k.

Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff but that was mainly working with average players at Augsburg who he led to promotion in 2011 and kept them in up

Took the job 2016 at Stuttgart in 2.Bundesliga who had just been relegated, won three of first five games but left post early with reports of differences of opinons with DOF.

Gained reputation for an expert at promotions from 2.Bundesliga so he left Augsburg to go to capital city club, Hertha. Naturally he won promotion at the first attempt as champions but don't recall over expansive, attractive football.

I don't like laziness" - Jos is a disciplinarian and considered a canny tactician Along with three promotions, also got Augsburg to playoffs but lost out to Ilkay Gundogan's Nuremberg in 2010

Don’t 4 & 5 rule each other out?