Wednesday 'want Sam Winnall back from Derby County'

Sheffield Wednesday caretaker manager Lee Bullen says he would like to recall striker Sam Winnallfrom his loan at Derby County .

Winnall is on a season-long stay with the Rams, having joined the club on transfer deadline day at the end of August in a deal which saw midfielder Jacob Butterfield move in the opposite direction.

Since then, Wednesday have sacked boss Carlos Carvalhal, leaving Bullen in temporary charge

The Owls have been struggling of late, losing five of their past six games, most recently a 3-0 home defeat to Burton Albion on New Year's Day.

Speaking after the Burton loss, Bullen told BBC Radio Sheffield that he would look into whether Winnall could be brought back to Hillsborough early.

"I’m not sure exactly what the agreement is with Derby," said Bullen. "I’m not sure if both clubs have to agree.

However, the Derby Telegraph understands that the only way this could happen is if all three parties - Wednesday, Derby and the player - agree, which would appear unlikely.

Winnall has scored six goals in 13 appearances for Derby so far, including a brace in the 2-1 win at Ipswich Town on Saturday.

Owlstalk Shop

Feel really sorry for Bully, but the fact that he clearly stated that he didn't know what the arrangement was, i find staggering. That it would appear the the club has not up until now thought about it "the club would need to look into it", is even more staggering.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Sheffield Wednesday caretaker manager Lee Bullen says he would like to recall striker Sam Winnallfrom his loan at Derby County .

Winnall is on a season-long stay with the Rams, having joined the club on transfer deadline day at the end of August in a deal which saw midfielder Jacob Butterfield move in the opposite direction.

Since then, Wednesday have sacked boss Carlos Carvalhal, leaving Bullen in temporary charge

The Owls have been struggling of late, losing five of their past six games, most recently a 3-0 home defeat to Burton Albion on New Year's Day.

Speaking after the Burton loss, Bullen told BBC Radio Sheffield that he would look into whether Winnall could be brought back to Hillsborough early.

"I’m not sure exactly what the agreement is with Derby," said Bullen. "I’m not sure if both clubs have to agree.

However, the Derby Telegraph understands that the only way this could happen is if all three parties - Wednesday, Derby and the player - agree, which would appear unlikely.

Winnall has scored six goals in 13 appearances for Derby so far, including a brace in the 2-1 win at Ipswich Town on Saturday.

Gurantee he starts every game and up his goal bonus and he will come back. 

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not if Derby don't want him to, he won't.

2 against 1 im sure they would. Especially with it now being the transfer window. They are a very attractive club for a  striker now. Not sure on their FFP jobby though. 

Who's to say Winnall even wants to come back? He's currently playing in a promotion chasing team, scoring goals and at a club with whole better atmosphere in general. If we were to recall him chances are his mood will dampen and then we have another unhappy player amongst the camp.