The final straw

47 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

How long will it be before tribalism is divorced from football?

I predict that in the next decade loyalty to a club will change to mere taste...

Like enjoying one kind of music rather than another.

That's what the bread heads want..a market... with a product.

If you think I'm being ott then reflect on how your behaviour is affected by.... say apple/Google/Amazon...

Football is being consumed by money people...

FFS.

As "an outsider looking in", with some incredulity I must say, to the affairs at your club, I was struck by this comment.  Surely, the last thing that any owner of a "big club" wants is to disassociate his investment with tribalism???  It's tribalism that makes us supporters consistently part with ridiculous amounts of hard-earned income to watch/endorse a product that, more often than not, is disappointing and sub-standard.  If this fails to be the case, we all simply start supporting Manchester City, until they falter, which they inevitably will.  But I suppose that entry into the promised land of the Premier League means that the "hardcore" fan, and his £40 match ticket becomes an increasingly minor component in the overall scheme of things, as far as finances are concerned.

I always thought that the good folk of S6 were very fortunate to dodge the bullet that was Ken Bates, as the damage that that man did to my club is only now being addressed.  For all his faults, Chansiri has invested in the team and whilst his judgement may be questioned, his intent seemed obvious, to me at least.  But the appointment of this Katrien woman seems at best to be ill-timed, and at worst to be some indication of a change in attitude.  I think that those of you on here who are worried have every right to be so.  I am heartily fed up of the way that modern football is run, and the malign influence of the Sky Millions will, in the long run, will impact on us "tribal followers" more than anyone else associated with the game.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rusholme Ruffian said:

As "an outsider looking in", with some incredulity I must say, to the affairs at your club, I was struck by this comment.  Surely, the last thing that any owner of a "big club" wants is to disassociate his investment with tribalism???  It's tribalism that makes us supporters consistently part with ridiculous amounts of hard-earned income to watch/endorse a product that, more often than not, is disappointing and sub-standard.  If this fails to be the case, we all simply start supporting Manchester City, until they falter, which they inevitably will.  But I suppose that entry into the promised land of the Premier League means that the "hardcore" fan, and his £40 match ticket becomes an increasingly minor component in the overall scheme of things, as far as finances are concerned.

I always thought that the good folk of S6 were very fortunate to dodge the bullet that was Ken Bates, as the damage that that man did to my club is only now being addressed.  For all his faults, Chansiri has invested in the team and whilst his judgement may be questioned, his intent seemed obvious, to me at least.  But the appointment of this Katrien woman seems at best to be ill-timed, and at worst to be some indication of a change in attitude.  I think that those of you on here who are worried have every right to be so.  I am heartily fed up of the way that modern football is run, and the malign influence of the Sky Millions will, in the long run, will impact on us "tribal followers" more than anyone else associated with the game.

Or to put it bluntly  the beautifulgameisfucked .     Sky did it up the wrong un .

1 hour ago, Costello 77 said:

How long will it be before tribalism is divorced from football?

I predict that in the next decade loyalty to a club will change to mere taste...

Like enjoying one kind of music rather than another.

That's what the bread heads want..a market... with a product.

If you think I'm being ott then reflect on how your behaviour is affected by.... say apple/Google/Amazon...

Football is being consumed by money people...

FFS.

Can I be first? I've done 52 years here.

I think Man City's play is more to my taste. Get me a virtual reality headset and a pint of gin. Come on Pep, transport me to heaven.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Remember when Carlos came and the fans at his last club said that he was great for six months and then basically ruined teams by being stubborn, refusing to change, falling out with players?

Remember when we were warning Chesterfield about their new chairman and they just laughed it off?

Remember when I reviewed The Last Jedi and warned everyone it's the worst Star Wars film / film of the year and people went and came out angry and disappointed at it?

THAT

But under Carlos we had 2 good seasons followed by a poor few months and although I agreed in the end probably time for a change people wanting him gone for losing in play offs were mentalists.

People are then coming back 2 1/2 years later trying to claim they were right all along its madness I guarantee our next manager will also leave at some stage doesn't make me some great clairvoyant who can see in to the future its just an inevitable part of Football Management.

3 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

Regardless of her past with Charlton.

“She’s a lawyer” 

And? 

I know plenty of CEOs who were lawyers in the past. 

Is she good for Wednesday? Only time will tell. But as I said in a previous thread, there is absolutely no point having a meltdown now. What’s done is done, she’s here and that’s it. She wouldn’t be my first choice, but then again I don’t know what Chansiris remit is. I don’t know what control she has. 

I absolutely understand people’s concerns, I too am uncomfortable. But we also have to look at it logically, whilst she was a disaster at Charlton, she wasn’t the only one. Their chairman had a huge role in that, we don’t know what the ins and outs are. We also have to keep in mind that this is a different club, different situation, different owners, different objectives. I hope one of the objectives is to maintain a good relationship with the fans. 

Just a hunch (and perhaps out of hope) I suspect he’ll appoint one or two other people. Perhaps a more footballing minded individual who will work with the CEO and head coach. Leaving the CEO to control business matters behind the scenes.

You go steady remember she's a Lawyer and must stay a Lawyer a CEO is born a CEO and dies a CEO to suggest people swap and change careers is madness and id keep quiet before the men in white coats come to get you.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

In hindsight I'd rather Mr Chansiri had thrown all the money at the infrastructure at the club and the academy etc

He could have built a real legacy 

And right now as we go into 2018 we'd probably have been higher in the Championship ironically

Funnily enough I was one of the few that said when he took over id be happy for minimal investment in the squad but build a state of the art training complex to future proof us for the next 50+ years and then redevelop Hillsborough similar to World Cup plans.

I was in a very small minority though as I kept being told no we need to get to the Premier ASAP then the rest can follow, Not saying I was right but be interesting to see how many peoples views have since changed after he tried to deliver what the masses wanted.

10 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

You go steady remember she's a Lawyer and must stay a Lawyer a CEO is born a CEO and dies a CEO to suggest people swap and change careers is madness and id keep quiet before the men in white coats come to get you.

She’s a lawyer with no expertise in running a successful football club. Better?

lol

8 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Shush otherwise they will be coming for you next.

Sounds a weird appointment but if anything maybe DC had let his relationship with Carlos cloud his views. 

Bit like why I wouldn't want to go into business with a mate or close colleague. Tough decisions needed to be made a while ago and loyalties got in the way. This woman sounds like she's focussed on the business side of things. 

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

She’s a lawyer with no expertise in running a successful football club. Better?

lol

TBH I think im done with this thread and going to politely agree to disagree with others opinions I just wish we could give her a chance same as the next manager whoever it is lets give them a chance and see where we end up.

1 thing I will say is without DC the best we could have hoped for is pretty much were we are now and I wish Lee Strafford as a Wednesday fan had DC money but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Wednesday fan out there who either a has the cash or b is willing to gamble it on us.

UTO

Edited by coopswfc76

3 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

TBH I think im done with this thread and going to politely agree to disagree with others opinions I just wish we could give her a chance same as the next manager whoever it is lets give them a chance and see where we end up.

1 thing I will say is without DC the best we could have hoped for is pretty much were we are now and I wish Lee Strafford as a Wednesday fan had DC money but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Wednesday fan out there who either a has the cash or b is willing to gamble it on us.

UTO

We have no option but to give her a chance. We are merely aware of her reputation and her lack of apparent success in her former job.

There is nothing wrong about being wary - especially when it comes to someone with such a poisonous reputation. If she does well then I’m sure she’ll be my much loved. People were sceptical about Gray - and rightly so - but he earned our respect. 

She was so hated by the majority of Charlton fans, not just a minority a massive share of their fanbase. I have read so many articles about her and some of the crap she comes out with is unbelievable. Has anyone actually seen anything from a Charlton fan saying anything good about her? I would rather listen to the fans of the club she was at and the warnings they have given than listen to people on here saying give her a chance yet they know nothing about her.  An awful appointment that imo will put an even bigger gap between the club and the fans.

Bet her job pitch was a good one.

"Well, during my time at Charlton we suffered relegation to League One and had 8 managerial changes. however; over that 4 year period fan discord increased exponentially."

*Gets out an Excel spreadsheet/graph*  

An excellent post Kivo. I don't always agree with everything you write but you are a valued contributor to this site and to Twitter.

I can't believe there are 18 people who have disagreed with that post enough to neg it, but there we are. 

Then again, some of them are probably some of the same people saying "lets see how she gets on" about our new CEO. The evidence against her suitability for a job in football - any job in football - is overwhelming. She has received years of condemnation from the wider football for community for her part in Charlton's sorry story. The list of quotes and facts that can be directly attributed to her is utterly damning. Most of that has been posted on this forum in the last 48-72 hours. But the response to that, from some, remains "lets see how she gets on". It's utterly maddening. 

2 hours ago, kentaddick said:

Sure, give katrien a chance, as we did. We were all extremely excited to have a bright young female CEO who seemed pretty charming and sweet in the "get to know the new owners" video the club posted when duchatelet took over. There was then a period of simply awful decisions, selling yann kermorgant for peanuts to bournemouth, a player who, at 36 is still banging them in for reading in the championship, and sacking chris powell, despite having about 5 games in hand on our relegation rivals and taking us within a fraction of a wembley semi final. We all blamed duchatelet. The owner, the boss.

The supporters trust contacted katrien to see if they could set up a meeting with duchatelet, which she quickly rebuffed, saying that she was the only person who could talk to RD. This then started a long line of quick frankly, bizarre and strange decisions from her and the club. Sacking bob peeters and then almost immediately appointing guy luzon (who had just been sacked at duchatelet's other club, standard liege), the few hours that existed between those two events katrien had claimed to have interviewed 20-30 managers for the role. She's a bare faced liar. If i was a psychologist i'd probably be tempted to diagnose her with sociopathy. 

To give an indication of her character, every year we have a back to the valley celebration, when charlton supporters got together to form a political party to return us to our home. The catalyst in this movement was a guy called Rick Everritt, who is now an outspoken critic of the current regime (and the one before) and editor of he fanzine Voice of the Valley. Naturally Rick was invited to speak at this event, Katrien repeatedly threw her toys out of the pram and stomped her feet and on the night itself repeatedly tried to change the event so Rick wouldn't be able to speak. The night had nothing to do with her, it was for the supporters.

Which leads us to another point earlier on at the end of last season, the FANS player of the season dinner is organised by the fans and hosted at the valley. It's a great evening where supporters can come and have a dinner with the players, hear some stories and feel closer to the lads who pull on the shirt every week. Katrien deliberately escalated roadblocks to the event to the point where the organisers (both women) who have organised the event were forced to cancel the event. There was no player of the year event this year. Because it would have involved individuals that katrien simply didn't like because they criticised her and the owner.

For further watching, if you want to sit through an hour and a half of another club's fans meeting here it is: 

The meeting supposedly happens every month or so and this (as you'd see why during the video) was the only one taped. It was an attempt to try and look more transparent to the fans, but really, just exposed how incompetent katrien really is. And how aggressive she is in making sure people don't find out just how terrible of a job she's done.

Her response to the weird/customer quote allegations is at about 58 minutes 40 seconds in and quite interesting. She puts up a plausible defence to be fair but the Charlton fans will have their own view on the wider context.

Edited by rickygoo

16 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Keep going and you eventually get what you want. One question, what is the alternative. 

Remember he has invested 150 million not the fans. He only asked we contribute as fans. 

Attendances previous 2 seasons have been the highest since 90s so ticket prices did not stop people coming back.  We bought into the dream of promotion but it hasn't yet happened. Give the man a chance to sort things out. 

Reality is we are not a big club, so to have a wealthy chairman Is a blessing. You hound him out of the club and we could be in free fall. 

I really do not get all this bile directed at the chairman, but hey ho a new owner we will probably get stripes back, tickets a tenner, still not filling a delapidated run down stadium in league 2 but that will be okay for some. 

100% spot on agree with what you said. 

Charlton are a crap club.

They were always going to be difficult to manage ,be the chairman or CEO of.

She might not be what we need but it's doing the club no good at all being negative about absolutely everyone and everything.

The fans do make a difference. If they didn't playing home or away would be no different.

3 minutes ago, Eightace said:

Charlton are a crap club.

They were always going to be difficult to manage ,be the chairman or CEO of.

She might not be what we need but it's doing the club no good at all being negative about absolutely everyone and everything.

The fans do make a difference. If they didn't playing home or away would be no different.

There has been precious little grumbling at Hillsborough. We can get it off our chests here.