The final straw

Your patience is admirable but her track record at Charlton is diabolical. A good community club, loyal support, not as grand as it once was,  held to ransom by non-football folk who worship balance sheets - sound familiar? Be afraid.

With much to be proud of at SW6 this appointment shames us all.

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

Yes I do as I had about Carlos however I Believe in giving everybody a chance and not being swayed by what may have happened previously. 

If people already think she's going to be a failure then in there minds she will inevitably be a failure. 

I agree with you in part. She's certainly got her work cut out here. She's obviously made some poor judgement calls in regard to relating to, and understanding a fan base,  and also football culture. If she's as sharp a cookie as DC thinks she is then she'll adapt to life at S6 quickly. I hope she does.

DC is poles apart from Roland Duchâtelet. CEO's act on board advice and instruction; so all that Meire has done before can't fairly be the basis for how people perceive she will perform here.

DC has trusted her in appointing get to the role. DC also admitted to some errors of judgement on his part (his "Love on the Rocks" (a la Neil Diamond!!!!) Christmas rant notwithstanding - poor judgment there IMHO.  So maybe we should cut them some slack for a while to at least allow a chance for things to settle.

She has to get a manager in, unwind a lot of the Doyen arrangements, implement a back room staff change management project,  sort out the frigging catering, plus make friends with JP (and play nicely), oh and sort out a flipping blue and white striped kit in good time for next season .

UTO

How long will it be before tribalism is divorced from football?

I predict that in the next decade loyalty to a club will change to mere taste...

Like enjoying one kind of music rather than another.

That's what the bread heads want..a market... with a product.

If you think I'm being ott then reflect on how your behaviour is affected by.... say apple/Google/Amazon...

Football is being consumed by money people...

FFS.

5 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

It could be that he's just woken up to how football actually works and it's more than running a few tuna and sardine canning plants in Porto.

That's good news then, he can teach the under experienced CEO that he's just appointed

14 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

People can have opinions on subjects they themselves have not been active successes in. I have never been a professional footballer but could see how woeful Jordan Rhodes was today.

to be fair, none of us thought he was woeful when we on the point of signing him. Hes a similar situation as Torres going to chelsea

• Like 1

Agree mostly with Kivo, not sire its time for DC to go though (and if he did it could get a whole lot worse), DC needs time to get the right people around him and as long as he learns from his mistakes then I think/hope her will have an overall positive effect on the club, especially if her does get us into the Prem in the next couple of seasons.

I think he needs to Freeze ST prices (cant see him reducing but even a 5% reduction would show willing), bring back the stripes and get in a manager who will get us playing exciting football again, that should see us top 6 NEXT season and may get the majority of our fans back on side.

We have all been around the club for many more years than DC will ever be, but Im sure he has the club at heart and wants to see it succeed both financially and as a club.

23 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

I agree with you in part. She's certainly got her work cut out here. She's obviously made some poor judgement calls in regard to relating to, and understanding a fan base,  and also football culture. If she's as sharp a cookie as DC thinks she is then she'll adapt to life at S6 quickly. I hope she does.

DC is poles apart from Roland Duchâtelet. CEO's act on board advice and instruction; so all that Meire has done before can't fairly be the basis for how people perceive she will perform here.

DC has trusted her in appointing get to the role. DC also admitted to some errors of judgement on his part (his "Love on the Rocks" (a la Neil Diamond!!!!) Christmas rant notwithstanding - poor judgment there IMHO.  So maybe we should cut them some slack for a while to at least allow a chance for things to settle.

She has to get a manager in, unwind a lot of the Doyen arrangements, implement a back room staff change management project,  sort out the frigging catering, plus make friends with JP (and play nicely), oh and sort out a flipping blue and white striped kit in good time for next season .

UTO

Good post lol

14 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Come on then genius what do you suggest we do? 

Also how does your record stand for running any business never mind a multi million pound one considering you don't think DC is fit to run SWFC?

Out of order that. Anyone, including yourself, is entitled to an opinion. Argue the points he makes, don't attack the poster.

Sure, give katrien a chance, as we did. We were all extremely excited to have a bright young female CEO who seemed pretty charming and sweet in the "get to know the new owners" video the club posted when duchatelet took over. There was then a period of simply awful decisions, selling yann kermorgant for peanuts to bournemouth, a player who, at 36 is still banging them in for reading in the championship, and sacking chris powell, despite having about 5 games in hand on our relegation rivals and taking us within a fraction of a wembley semi final. We all blamed duchatelet. The owner, the boss.

The supporters trust contacted katrien to see if they could set up a meeting with duchatelet, which she quickly rebuffed, saying that she was the only person who could talk to RD. This then started a long line of quick frankly, bizarre and strange decisions from her and the club. Sacking bob peeters and then almost immediately appointing guy luzon (who had just been sacked at duchatelet's other club, standard liege), the few hours that existed between those two events katrien had claimed to have interviewed 20-30 managers for the role. She's a bare faced liar. If i was a psychologist i'd probably be tempted to diagnose her with sociopathy. 

To give an indication of her character, every year we have a back to the valley celebration, when charlton supporters got together to form a political party to return us to our home. The catalyst in this movement was a guy called Rick Everritt, who is now an outspoken critic of the current regime (and the one before) and editor of he fanzine Voice of the Valley. Naturally Rick was invited to speak at this event, Katrien repeatedly threw her toys out of the pram and stomped her feet and on the night itself repeatedly tried to change the event so Rick wouldn't be able to speak. The night had nothing to do with her, it was for the supporters.

Which leads us to another point earlier on at the end of last season, the FANS player of the season dinner is organised by the fans and hosted at the valley. It's a great evening where supporters can come and have a dinner with the players, hear some stories and feel closer to the lads who pull on the shirt every week. Katrien deliberately escalated roadblocks to the event to the point where the organisers (both women) who have organised the event were forced to cancel the event. There was no player of the year event this year. Because it would have involved individuals that katrien simply didn't like because they criticised her and the owner.

For further watching, if you want to sit through an hour and a half of another club's fans meeting here it is: 

The meeting supposedly happens every month or so and this (as you'd see why during the video) was the only one taped. It was an attempt to try and look more transparent to the fans, but really, just exposed how incompetent katrien really is. And how aggressive she is in making sure people don't find out just how terrible of a job she's done.

Terrible attention seeking OP. Why our fans implode before seeing who is going to replace Carlos baffles me.

OP refers to a bunch of ex Wednesday men who the majority have not succeeded here.  Yes they may be passionate about the club but they didn't then nor do they now have the capability to succeed here.

Just wait until we see who Chansiri brings in as a manager and what transfers are made before hunting the guy out of the club.

Whether people appreciate it or not for the majority of the Chansiri's chairmanship we have had some brilliant times, Brighton Home and Away, Arsenal, Wembley, Newcastle etc.

Football is just about the memories as it is about the present day. Forget that at your own peril.

14 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

2018 is one day old and we’ve got a Post of the Year contender - I agree with every word.

As with Kivo, long post alert;

I think DC is a fundamentally good person and wants the best for the club - but he has never properly compensated for his own inexperience. The personnel he recruited with footballing knowhow all quickly left at the end of that first summer and as a result we’ve been left with naive and misguided leadership ever since. The difference between that first summer and ever since has been telling - that first summer brought us Forestieri, Hooper, Hunt, Bannan, plus Pudil and Wallace who were very good in Carlos’ first season, a really positive atmosphere around the place as results rolled in and Wembley beckoned. DC’s tinkering impulses were nowhere to be seen - the badge, kit and squad numbers were just how we like them.

Ever since then, Chansiri seems to have fallen under the spell of Doyen and our recruitment over last season and this year has been atrocious as a result. Glaring deficiencies have been ignored while bang average squad players were recruited to sit on the bench and command huge wages. Meanwhile he’s messed around with the club’s identity and discovered to his cost that fans have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing.

I think he’s fundamentally misjudged football fans in general. That last statement is basically him coming to terms with the fact that football fans are fickle - well being brutally honest, yes we are. Yes, we care about even the slightest alterations to seemingly meaningless symbols like the kit and the badge. Yes, many of us went from praising Carlos to saying he had to go over a very short period of time. And perhaps most importantly - yes, many of us were too eager to sing DC’s praises when he was pouring money in and ignore his missteps, giving him a sense he could do not wrong and making it all the more impactful now that the fans have turned on him. Hailing from a Thai culture that heavily emphasises respect and civility (which is no bad thing, before I’m jumped on), he probably can’t fathom how football fans can suddenly turn so nasty, so quickly.

It seems to me that he’s reckoned with the above and decided to detach himself from the club to avoid the heartache and abuse. But leaving us to our fate with Katrien Meire may well prove absolutely disastrous. I really worry about the trajectory the club is on - it’s important to remember that there are far worse owners out there than DC (Blackpool, Coventry and yep, Charlton fans can all attest to that), but if DC’s dream has indeed soured and he wants out, who’s hands are we going to end up in? 

I think this is bang on, and the impression we're getting is that DC likes "yes men" and is quite impressionable... not a good quality in a businessman, and hence my concerns. "Yes men" very rarely do what's best for the business, and do what's best for them ie. kissing up. I've seen it happen all to often in my work experience, and it never turns out well... Let's hope he DOES learn so we can move forward.

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure it calls for that kind of response to be fair mate

I think it is a fair shout. We all watch the matches and so everyone having an opinion on players etc is based on some kind of shared knowledge. fine.

But there are so many people on here including the OP who just spout the typical simplistic view of how business operates (when things aren't going right on the pitch). Im making an asumption that KivoOwl is not in charge of diverse multimillion pound businesses. Apologies if he is. Im sorry if that offends people but so much bs is spouted.

Chansiri wants to get into the premier league for ego and business reasons. He has a business model, and we buy into this because its his money and IF as a by product we get success. It was working and now it's not.

Success and progress is rarely in a straight line. Own goals in play offs, penalty misses, managers growing stale, injuries.  Strategies and plans evolve because of circumstances. Fans now cant handle anything but year on year improvements in league positions. That's why managers get sacked. Its riduculous however to start wanting a regime change, which we cant bring about anyway, just because we are having one bad season.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

Fans now cant handle anything but year on year improvements in league positions.

I simply don’t believe this is true. We want a sense that things are heading in the right direction yes - but it’s sport so setbacks are natural. At the moment though the team is in free fall, and has been playing terrible football as well - a double whammy no fans will appreciate.

In fact the fans have been and are patient. Apart from the brief you’re not fit to wear the shirts outburst against Burton the players and staff have got off lightly. Likewise there has been very little overt grumbling about Chansiri apart from on here. I happen to hate DC’s overriding of what I consider to be our traditions, heritage and reputation as a club at the heart of the Sheffield community. But I also recognise the money he has brought in and his desire for promotion - albeit mine is simply a football thing and I suspect his is about other things. There’s no issue for me of driving him out. An ideal scenario is a planned exit with him making money via sale after promotion. 

However if there is a feeling that a rapprochement between fans and club is required I am puzzled by the new CEO appointment. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by rickygoo

I think we have to stop getting our knickers in a twist until bad things happen.

It's been far too long for many of us and we are becoming impatient. Me included.

We jump on the triangle episode, McLaren, this new CEO and declare everything a failure before it starts.

I am starting to believe now that the fans are having a big impact on how things are going.

A poor atmosphere breeds poor results.

37 minutes ago, kentaddick said:

Sure, give katrien a chance, as we did. We were all extremely excited to have a bright young female CEO who seemed pretty charming and sweet in the "get to know the new owners" video the club posted when duchatelet took over. There was then a period of simply awful decisions, selling yann kermorgant for peanuts to bournemouth, a player who, at 36 is still banging them in for reading in the championship, and sacking chris powell, despite having about 5 games in hand on our relegation rivals and taking us within a fraction of a wembley semi final. We all blamed duchatelet. The owner, the boss.

The supporters trust contacted katrien to see if they could set up a meeting with duchatelet, which she quickly rebuffed, saying that she was the only person who could talk to RD. This then started a long line of quick frankly, bizarre and strange decisions from her and the club. Sacking bob peeters and then almost immediately appointing guy luzon (who had just been sacked at duchatelet's other club, standard liege), the few hours that existed between those two events katrien had claimed to have interviewed 20-30 managers for the role. She's a bare faced liar. If i was a psychologist i'd probably be tempted to diagnose her with sociopathy. 

To give an indication of her character, every year we have a back to the valley celebration, when charlton supporters got together to form a political party to return us to our home. The catalyst in this movement was a guy called Rick Everritt, who is now an outspoken critic of the current regime (and the one before) and editor of he fanzine Voice of the Valley. Naturally Rick was invited to speak at this event, Katrien repeatedly threw her toys out of the pram and stomped her feet and on the night itself repeatedly tried to change the event so Rick wouldn't be able to speak. The night had nothing to do with her, it was for the supporters.

Which leads us to another point earlier on at the end of last season, the FANS player of the season dinner is organised by the fans and hosted at the valley. It's a great evening where supporters can come and have a dinner with the players, hear some stories and feel closer to the lads who pull on the shirt every week. Katrien deliberately escalated roadblocks to the event to the point where the organisers (both women) who have organised the event were forced to cancel the event. There was no player of the year event this year. Because it would have involved individuals that katrien simply didn't like because they criticised her and the owner.

For further watching, if you want to sit through an hour and a half of another club's fans meeting here it is: 

The meeting supposedly happens every month or so and this (as you'd see why during the video) was the only one taped. It was an attempt to try and look more transparent to the fans, but really, just exposed how incompetent katrien really is. And how aggressive she is in making sure people don't find out just how terrible of a job she's done.

I've not watched this start to finish but have skipped through and watched about 10 random snippets and can't find one example of the lady in question being aggressive.......can you give us all a time to look at where this "aggression" is evident or do you just have a low tolerance level of aggression?

as an aside have you ever seen a Dave Allen press conference?

• Haha 1