Rhodes

20 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

What we need to realise is that Jordan Rhodes is never at fault. His fluffed chance was not his fault, it was windy and the cross should have been better.

Ducking out of the way of twonither crosses like the ball is on fire is unlucky, he may not have wanted to get hurt. 

He does a lot of good things. I like his thumbs up after every ball.

Not like YOU to stick up for him , Rocket :rolleyes: :nuhiu:

There is no way to defend Rhodes performance against Burton (and many other recent performances). Was hugely frustrating how he kept throwing himself on the floor, and he should have done better with the chance he got.

However, I do think we have the worst final ball in the league. Our players seem to panic once they get close to the penalty area. So many mishit/floaty crosses, or passes that go straight to the opposites.

We rarely seem to take the time to look up and make an incisive pass - which is the type of service strikers like Rhodes need. This is why it doesn't matter how much possesion we have, we rarely look threatening. 

On the other hand, a team like Burton on seemingly their first attack of second half just calmly the passed the ball around and created perfect chance and easy goal. Why do we never do this?

Guest Copthorneowl
21 hours ago, Plonk said:

Marine has scored more than him season. Just let that sink in

Marine can only get better when we leave the EU and grab our fisheries boundary back from those dirty foreigners.

His miss yesterday summed up yesterdays performance. No reaction to missing a free header from 3 yards. No hands in his head, just a oh well I've missed and run back. Even when the ball broke to Reach who crossed it in for the chance, nobody was busting a gut to get in to the box. No urgency or enthusiasm anywhere all over the park, they gave up.

1 hour ago, Mole said:

People said on here that Francis Jeffers was a good player, we didn't play to his strengths, and that once he left he'd be banging in the goals...

Jeffers started looking good until that fvcckking thug Shawcross nearly snapped him in half putting him out for months. He never recovered after that. 

Yes, the pathetic defending, lack of calmness on the ball, rubbish boots from the back or midfield and no link up play or support in the box are Rhodes fault?!?

Agreed his finish was poor, but it's not like there were any other opportunities when he was marked 4 on 1 in the box and total garbage balls sent in!

6 minutes ago, osowl said:

Yes, the pathetic defending, lack of calmness on the ball, rubbish boots from the back or midfield and no link up play or support in the box are Rhodes fault?!?

Agreed his finish was poor, but it's not like there were any other opportunities when he was marked 4 on 1 in the box and total garbage balls sent in!

To be fair mate, it was a free header and he put it in the one place you'd know the out of position Bywater would gamble on. Rhodes could have and should have either headed towards the front or back post. 

Sad, deluded fool that I am, I thought the Rhodes signing would kick us on to success last season.

After Saturday's game, I ask myself "What difference would it have made if Jordan Rhodes had not been on the pitch and we had played with 10 men?"

I can't think of one, and on that basis I would be happy to never see him play again.

It’s got to the point, where keeping him in the side, is really upsetting the balance of the side Perhaps not so much when we are without Hooper, but we cannot keep playing him just because he cost so much

A front three of Joao, Hooper and Forestieri, in my opinion, would be far more effective Whatever happens, we have to abandon the 4-4-2 system

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s got to the point, where keeping him in the side, is really upsetting the balance of the side Perhaps not so much when we are without Hooper, but we cannot keep playing him just because he cost so much

A front three of Joao, Hooper and Forestieri, in my opinion, would be far more effective Whatever happens, we have to abandon the 4-4-2 system

We have recently played a few variations of the 451. Trouble is we haven’t got the wide players or the striker to do it justice. João, if and it’s a big if could get anywhere near the level of his Arsenal performance would be the answer to the lone striker. A fit FF would be ideal on the left, we don’t seem to trust Matais(sp?) to give him a run in his preferred position on the right so at the moment we’d need three new players to do the system justice. Funnily enough we’ve needed the same requirements / players since the playoff defeat to Hull.

It was a real concern how comfortably the Burton defenders were handling Rhodes.

Then big Dave came on and caused them real problems.

if Sunderland really want Rhodes - we have to cut our losses and let him go.  Nice guy, worked hard but ineffective.

Edited by fife_owl

9 hours ago, osowl said:

He had three chances laid on a platter for him on Saturday - neshed one all-together, headed the best straight at the keeper and drew a half-decent save with the third. I've come to the conclusion he's our worst striker, any of the others would have at least grabbed one.