Rhodes

1 hour ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Has been like playing with 10 men when he plays practically since he signed. 

i remember saying a similar thing about Antonio.

He came on against Ipswich away and was dogger.

I thought at the time he has to go.

Just shows what a move away fro Hillsborough can do for you.

FFS.

It is really a bizarre appointment unless (as has been said above many times) DC wants someone to take the public flak for what are going to be tough times ahead. It certainly does not fill me with any confidence, the opposite in fact.  I am trying hard to be glass half full and Charlton were in a very different position to us with a largely deluded fanbase who (at that time) seemed to think they should be in the Premier League/top half of the Championship (when their history is bottom half of the second league at best).  They complain about certain things KM did which really seem to me to be the owners call. Yes she seems utterly clueless about the way fans feel about their club and its history  (although certain parallels here with DC here I am afraid - we are after all  "customers").  But she wont be choosing our next manager or who we buy or sell. Unfortunately the person who chose who to appoint her will be doing that...

Guest Willow Owl

The whole style of our play is not suited to Rhodes. He feeds off scraps, and snatches at the few chances he gets (confidence). Gary Linekers all round game was terrible but had the knack of being in the right place when he had the service. 

The thumbs up bit says more about the quality of balls into him than Rhodes himself. 

He keeps trying to get fouls by falling over, hoping we may actually put a decent ball in the box. 

The guy looks a shadow of what he is capable of, bad management!!!! 

1 hour ago, Hawkowl said:

FFS.

Couldn’t be less like Antonio. Pace, strength, flair and the ability to create and score goals by himself.

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

Spent half of second half on his arse. Embarrassing to watch him fall over every time ball went near him. 

Plenty of us, myself included used to be heavily critical of Madine for doing much the same at this level. The way Rhodes keeps hitting the deck lately makes Madine look like Akinfenwa in terms of body strength.

We are not playing to his strengths but even so it is as you say embarrassing and infuriating to watch. Even when we do give him the ammunition he used to thrive on he is letting us down now, the header straight at the keeper was pretty poor but he hardly looked devastated by his miss and prior to that he certainly seemed to duck out of heading a decent ball in from the left. Can't defend the indefensible.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

I have never been so underwhelmed with a signing I so badly wanted us to sign. Today's performance was pathetic. We paid 10 million pounds for this lad. He ducked out of a header in first half and then fluffed our best chance by heading directly at the keeper.

I don't know whether it's the player doesn't suit our club (Torres with Chelsea etc) or Rhodes best days are now behind him?

One things for certain if any reasonable offers come in for him I would sell him straight away.

I didn't want us to sign him. We didn't need him. I was happy when he signed though, but more because it showed intent, but we should have spent that money in other areas. 

I'm really surprised ....that people are surprised.

It was clear he wouldn't fit into the way we played football way,  way before we were linked with him and we had our 100 page threads.

I mean, we've all seen him play enough times for other teams to know what he does and doesn't  offer.  It was clear as day he offered an old school 18 yard box knack and not much outside it. Way back when he was at Huddersfield. I don't know know if he's goals record blinded people to the fact.

Only thing thats surprised me more than peoples apparent shock, is the inference we had that the chairman was seemingly so easily influenced on fan sway and bought him as something of a gift to the clamouring masses.

Nothing against the boy. Hes a lovely lad.

And I do genuinly  hope we find a way to get the best of him, for both his and the clubs sake. 

Not sure I see it though. And certainly don't see us recovering a fraction of what we've paid.

Not the lads fault though. 

What did it for me was when he sent that awful header straight at Bywater, he didn't even look bothered. No head in hands, no kicking the turf, he just turned around as if nothing had happened. The ducking from the cross earlier in the game was just bizarre.

10 hours ago, Hawkowl said:

FFS.

Or it clearly shows you have no clue about a player 

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

It was clear he wouldn't fit into the way we played football way,  way before we were linked with him and we had our 100 page threads.

I mean, we've all seen him play enough times for other teams to know what he does and doesn't  offer.  It was clear as day he offered an old school 18 yard box knack and not much outside it. Way back when he was at Huddersfield. I don't know know if he's goals record blinded people to the fact.

Only thing thats surprised me more than peoples apparent shock, is the inference we had that the chairman was seemingly so easily influenced on fan sway and bought him as something of a gift to the clamouring masses.

And I do genuinly  hope we find a way to get the best of him, for both his and the clubs sake. 

Not sure I see it though. And certainly don't see us recovering a fraction of what we've paid.

Agree totally.

14 minutes ago, torres said:

Or it clearly shows you have no clue about a player 

But clearly I wasn't the only one at the time.

IF you watched him at the time you would see he made very little effort and in hindsight was just pushing/waiting for his move.

How could you not see that.

Or do you watch the games on the radio?

FFS.

13 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Jordan Rhodes is, quite possibly, shaping up to be the worst signing this club has ever made.

He's had ZERO impact. We've no idea to play to him, he's no idea how to play for us. He looks like a competition winner in almost very game he has played. Slow, sluggish, weak, can't trap a bag of wind, and his goalscoring abilities have simply vanished. He misses more chances than any other of our strikers, yet is continually excused for them. 

We spunk our remaining FFP budget on him, which will put the club back at the very least, by a couple of years.

What makes the whole sorry episode even worse...is the fact that many fans knew he wasn't what we needed. A staggeringly inept piece of business.

I think Rhodes needs to leave for the sake of his own career, his record as one of the best goal scorers in the championship still stands as far as I am concerned, just not for us.

Just imagine if we sell Rhodes to Sunderland, who have been reported as being interested in him, and he began to score for them, they avoid relegation on the last day and we go down.

As for the highlighted bit, how many were on here last year saying they did not want him?, on the contrary, it was Winall that was questioned.

Too many people were stuck in the past when it comes too player recruitment It’s always the same, we are dismissive when Huddersfield sign players we haven’t heard of, but swoon over players (coaches) who’ve done nothing for years

Thats us fans, but hard to believe those charged with recruitment, could possibly fall for such guff Clearly Rhodes doesn’t have the attributes, not just to fit our style, but to thrive in modern football in general

Guest RocketOwl
14 hours ago, brazilowl said:

At last the penny has dropped, Rhodes may have been the most prolific scorer in the championship but that was in the past. Now he has no pace and misses sitters for fun. Pound for pound he must be the worst Wednesday signing ever   At least the other rubbish we’ve signed didn’t cost much. 

Frustating how long it's taken for people to realise.

I’m struggling to think of any player we’ve had who has been given so much latitude by the fans. I think it’s about time to stop peddling the ‘not playing to his strengths’ mantra and actually judge him by the same criteria as every other player. He misses a sitter from six yards (his strength) we forgive him as he’s lacking confidence, he falls to the floor every time a centre half comes near him and we forgive him, Christ only knows why, it’s quite frankly pathetic forward play - we absolutely slaughtered Madine when he did the same. We forgive him for not being able to hold the ball up as that’s not his game, we forgive him for running in slow motion which tbf he can’t do owt about but for £6 - 10 million I’d expect a striker at least to have a basic skill set which includes winning the odd header, and being able to bring others into play.

• Like 1

I work with a Blackburn fan and several Huddersfield fans. They all tell me that you should expect fvcckk all from Rhodes in terms of contribution to general play. At Huddersfield, they set up their team for Rhodes - everything was about putting the ball on a plate for him to score. He had a mixed time at Blackburn where he was loved and hated in equal measure by the fans because he played and was played in exactly the same way as he is now for us (i.e. expected to contribute to general play), however, it appears that there was relief amongst the fanbase when he was sold. 

Based upon discussion with my workmates, we need to set up the team for Rhodes and cater for the fact that he contributes very little to general play if we are to to get the best out of him. Am I advocating that? My heart says “No” but my head tells me that we have him and need to get value from him...........Oh, I don’t fvcckking know! I’m definitely not a fan of his. Sorry. 

What appears apparent is that some silly fvcckker didn’t do there homework in Rhodes before we signed him because he’s a terrible fit for our team currently. 

‘Kin’ell!!! What a fvcckking conundrum he is!!!

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Its all well and good after the event. I don't recall many folk on here saying he wasn't 'our' type of player. and wouldn't fit in. There was mass clamour for his signing if I recall and it hasn't worked out. He is probably the most disastrous signing pound for pound in Wednesdays history. The fact that he is a 'nice lad' his is downfall because, being a centre forward you need the nasty bsat88d tag which he hasn't got. He couldn't knock a cardboard cut out over. His best days are well and truly behind him. Never known a player been given so many chances to try and prove himself. We would be lucky to get shot of him on a free with his wage demands.