Rhodes

47 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

But clearly I wasn't the only one at the time.

IF you watched him at the time you would see he made very little effort and in hindsight was just pushing/waiting for his move.

How could you not see that.

Or do you watch the games on the radio?

FFS.

I watched most of if not all his games for us. It was pretty obvious he had the attributes to go on to bigger things. I was fuming that we sold him for the tiny figure we did.

To say you were ''not the only one'' means nothing! There are people who go to the matches that think Rhodes is good! 

4 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Its all well and good after the event. I don't recall many folk on here saying he wasn't 'our' type of player. and wouldn't fit in. There was mass clamour for his signing if I recall and it hasn't worked out. He is probably the most disastrous signing pound for pound in Wednesdays history. The fact that he is a 'nice lad' his is downfall because, being a centre forward you need the nasty bsat88d tag which he hasn't got. He couldn't knock a cardboard cut out over. His best days are well and truly behind him. Never known a player been given so many chances to try and prove himself. We would be lucky to get shot of him on a free with his wage demands.

That was sort of the point I was making, it's not really after the event, it was all there plain to see before he even came. As I said I think some were blinded by the goals record as to how good an overall player he was.

I agree totally there was a huge clamour for his signing on here,  and I've no doubt on other social media - but it was clearly based on goal stats and nothing else.

It was there to see beforehand.  People just got carried away and couldn't see the wood for the trees. 

There were several people on here who weren't convinced, off the top of my head I remember @gurujuan being hammered on quite a few threads for saying he thought he wouldn't be a fit for us and thought we'd be better going for a more powerful and mobile target man , like Wood,  to upgrade on Nuhiu. 

I agree with you totally that he's been a poor signing. In terms of value he has to be right up there with De Bilde and Sinton as one of the worst decisions we've made.

But again..that's not really the lads fault.  A club wanted to sign him and he signed on. 

In terms of resale value...at the moment I think we'd get a 10th of what we paid out. If lucky. 

The best we can hope for is that the new manager can get him scoring, whether that be to our benefit or for sale purposes.

Only problem is...in this current side, and I just don't see it happening no matter who comes in.

13 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Its all well and good after the event. I don't recall many folk on here saying he wasn't 'our' type of player. and wouldn't fit in. There was mass clamour for his signing if I recall and it hasn't worked out. He is probably the most disastrous signing pound for pound in Wednesdays history. The fact that he is a 'nice lad' his is downfall because, being a centre forward you need the nasty bsat88d tag which he hasn't got. He couldn't knock a cardboard cut out over. His best days are well and truly behind him. Never known a player been given so many chances to try and prove himself. We would be lucky to get shot of him on a free with his wage demands.

Look at the clamour for ALF, our fans aren’t exactly switched on, when it come to judging players However, you’d expect those responsible for our recruitment to be a little more knowledgable Seems to me that they are equally stuck in the past

33 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Do not think it's right that the fans were desperate esp after it was clear after his initial loan spell that he was average at best. His father must have been torn as to whether it was a good move given the expectations at Wednesday. It is sad all round as he looks a lost boy.

1 hour ago, torres said:

I watched most of if not all his games for us. It was pretty obvious he had the attributes to go on to bigger things. I was fuming that we sold him for the tiny figure we did.

To say you were ''not the only one'' means nothing! There are people who go to the matches that think Rhodes is good! 

That's my point.

The site is full of fans slating Rhodes.

But who's to say he won't leave and regain his fom.

Then it would mean nothing that all the people slating him now are proved wrong. 

FF'S. 

I posted a thread during Sunderland game earlier this season which was drunken and probably confrontational to the tune of 'JR loving idjuts'.  It got me around minus 50 in negs as there just seemed to be an inpenetrable wall of Rose tinted specs around the lad. Didn't matter how badly he played or sitters missed it was our fault for not playing to his strengths. 

We are paying the price now for one of the most dumb transfer windows (last Jan)  I have ever seen where we signed an obviously better, form striker in Winnall for 500k (the kind of astute business we had been doing with the likes of Lees, Bannan etc) and then alienated him, Hirsty and probably lots of other squad members by paying well over the odds for a one trick pony that whilst had a great personal scoring record had never contributed to a successful team outcome other than Hudds promotion season.

Zero strategy as has been same with the wasted money on likes of Jones, Pudil, Abdi etc. when it's blatantly clear our Chairman likes to play hardball for first 25 days of the window then panic buys at the end when the players we should have got have gone elsewhere. Duffy, Dean etc. 

If anybody comes in for Rhodes this Jan and is willing to pay more than half the price we paid we should cut our losses, apologise to Winnall, get Hirsty back in the fold and give Joao and Winnall a run up front.

Easier said than done but we paid 8m or whatever for him from Boro when it was clear he'd lost his pace and goalscoring instincts so hopefully some other mugs will be going on past life too! 

Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Winnall, Rhodes Joao and Nuhiu. 

I'd want to keep the 1st 3. Really not bothered about the rest. Wouldn't be against shipping them out (Rhodes at a loss, Winnall at a profit) if we could get someone with power/pace as a different option to replace all 4

Guest RocketOwl
3 hours ago, Walt said:

I’m struggling to think of any player we’ve had who has been given so much latitude by the fans. I think it’s about time to stop peddling the ‘not playing to his strengths’ mantra and actually judge him by the same criteria as every other player. He misses a sitter from six yards (his strength) we forgive him as he’s lacking confidence, he falls to the floor every time a centre half comes near him and we forgive him, Christ only knows why, it’s quite frankly pathetic forward play - we absolutely slaughtered Madine when he did the same. We forgive him for not being able to hold the ball up as that’s not his game, we forgive him for running in slow motion which tbf he can’t do owt about but for £6 - 10 million I’d expect a striker at least to have a basic skill set which includes winning the odd header, and being able to bring others into play.

Bang on.

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

That was sort of the point I was making, it's not really after the event, it was all there plain to see before he even came. As I said I think some were blinded by the goals record as to how good an overall player he was.

I agree totally there was a huge clamour for his signing on here,  and I've no doubt on other social media - but it was clearly based on goal stats and nothing else.

It was there to see beforehand.  People just got carried away and couldn't see the wood for the trees. 

There were several people on here who weren't convinced, off the top of my head I remember @gurujuan being hammered on quite a few threads for saying he thought he wouldn't be a fit for us and thought we'd be better going for a more powerful and mobile target man , like Wood,  to upgrade on Nuhiu. 

I agree with you totally that he's been a poor signing. In terms of value he has to be right up there with De Bilde and Sinton as one of the worst decisions we've made.

But again..that's not really the lads fault.  A club wanted to sign him and he signed on. 

In terms of resale value...at the moment I think we'd get a 10th of what we paid out. If lucky. 

The best we can hope for is that the new manager can get him scoring, whether that be to our benefit or for sale purposes.

Only problem is...in this current side, and I just don't see it happening no matter who comes in.

What about me lol 

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

De Bilde scored quite a few in Prem? Harsh to compare him to Rhodes.

Have to admit I did think 'wow' when we signed him.

Embarrassing now the club have said he was a gift to the fans, that is not a way to run a successful football club.

Does feel like when Chelsea brought Andriy Shevchenko and was basically a vanity signing by the chairman.

Sticks in my throat bottling that pen v Huddersfield in the play offs.

3 hours ago, Walt said:

I’m struggling to think of any player we’ve had who has been given so much latitude by the fans. I think it’s about time to stop peddling the ‘not playing to his strengths’ mantra and actually judge him by the same criteria as every other player. He misses a sitter from six yards (his strength) we forgive him as he’s lacking confidence, he falls to the floor every time a centre half comes near him and we forgive him, Christ only knows why, it’s quite frankly pathetic forward play - we absolutely slaughtered Madine when he did the same. We forgive him for not being able to hold the ball up as that’s not his game, we forgive him for running in slow motion which tbf he can’t do owt about but for £6 - 10 million I’d expect a striker at least to have a basic skill set which includes winning the odd header, and being able to bring others into play.

This is so true. 

3 minutes ago, ReginaldD said:

Makes me wonder when Chansiri talks about the Wednesday family whether the Rhodes signing was related largely to his dad being here. Not so much that Andy influenced DC but moreso DC felt it showed loyalty etc.

Don't say that or we'll have young Att at centre half.

Well, we have him and no-one in their right mind would take him off us at the moment.

I like Rhodes, I wasn't sure he'd fit with our style but thought the scouting team maybe knew something I didn't. Annoying thing is that he makes the runs, gets into the positions but doesn't take and to be fair get many chances(that was a sitter yesterday though) to score. I have said this before, we don't cross the ball from the byline or cross balls in first time. Whenever we do he's always the guy next to the ball. If its bouncing around in the box it will always be Rhodes nearest the ball. The guy has no chance with our laborious play. Even post Carlos its still cut inside or pass it back to cross from deep. 40 crosses was it yesterday..... only 1 of note and hardly any whipped in or from the byline. Lumping it into the box from deep isn't a cross. Even good strikers would have a job on scoring for us. Just the thought of us needing someone similar to Dave is depressing, nearly as depressing as those advocating his inclusion(Bullen included). 

Guest RocketOwl
36 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Have to admit I did think 'wow' when we signed him.

Embarrassing now the club have said he was a gift to the fans, that is not a way to run a successful football club.

Does feel like when Chelsea brought Andriy Shevchenko and was basically a vanity signing by the chairman.

Sticks in my throat bottling that pen v Huddersfield in the play offs.

Very good comparison.