To Provide Some Balance

This is perhaps the biggest month Wednesday will have in a very, very long time

We have a squad of aging, overpaid players with little-to-no resale value... no manager... a CEO whose only previous record in England is to rip out the soul of a football club... rock bottom morale... a chairman who keeps promising the world with quite frankly ludicrous sounding manager names and beautiful green fields of jolly goodness just around the corner.

We stand at a crossroads. To one side we have DC fulfilling his promise of a huge manager name, reaffirming his commitment to us with the best intentions and hopefully the start of repairing the damage the last few months of awful mismanagement has left us in. To the other is DC's words simply being empty promises he can't possibly follow up on in order to placate fans a little longer, with no big name being appointed and simply a "yes man" joining. This way spells doom and will surely be a sign of the beginning of the end as DC looks to asset strip and get back some of his investment before leaving the ship he allowed to start sinking before all the liferafts go.

This might sound a little dramatic but I truly believe this is where we lie. Make no mistake, the next couple of weeks are going to be some of the most important in recent Sheffield Wednesday history. They will be indicative of what path we start going down. And frankly I'm terrified about what might happen. Because I really think if we choose the latter path than the former, anyone thinking "it won't be that bad" is fooling themselves, because we have got a lot of essentially dead assets on a lot of money. 

We've all seen the demise of big clubs crashing down through the leagues due to mismanagement, and anyone who thinks we're not on the precipice of having all the hallmarks of those types of clubs is sticking their heads in the sand. 

4 minutes ago, Eastleigh Owl said:

Yes it will, but we are allowed to debate what we think is going to happen.IF ONE OF US HAS TO BE PROVED RIGHT THEN I HOPE IT'S YOU AS THE ALTERNATIVE DOESN'T BEAR THINKING ABOUT.

Soz for the caps BTW, I pressed the caps lock when I meant to press the other one.lol

No worries matey, and I doff my caps to you Sir lol

22 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

I'll all for selling some players.

We know we're stuffed with FFP

It's a needs-must situation - and there ain't a lot of players here I'd want to keep right now.

If it means clearing out the likes of Westwood, FF, Wallace, Fox, Loovens, Rhodes, Hirst and Jones then I'm all for that.

Get some money in, spend it on a couple of quality additions and start the rebuilding process.

Escaping relegation should look after itself.

I agree we should get rid of players to buy others but most of those mentioned are supposed to be on high wages. I can’t see other teams matching those wages so the players will not leave for a pay cut. I’m afraid we have them to the end of their contracts. 

3 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I like to read your comments owlsman you are like a reassuring voice when Wednesday fans need it.You are definitely a glass half full man  Hats off to you

I agree, it's time for calm heads 

I feel that I could have almost scripted that result today and it's maybe the result that will ensure a new man is brought in earlier than maybe DC wants 

I have to say I'm surprised at Bullens apparent lack of management skills, team selection really I suppose as he strikes me as the type you would go through a brick wall for.  Not these lot obviously 

We do need to stay calm though and trust in DC , we don't want to go back to those dark days. 

36 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Before writing the club off for relegation, suggesting our new CEO has been brought in to start dismantling the club, and stating that Mr C is on his way and will sell us on........

New CEO states that she was attracted by Mr C’s ambitious plans for the club.

Newspaper reports suggest Mr C is looking at big, big, names as the next manager of the club, AVB, Ranieri etc

Mr C tells us he is still committed. 

What about we wait to see what happens in January first?

It’s possible we might bring in a big name manager, and might bring in some quality players the new man wants to work with. We’ll undoubtedly need to offload some players too, and perhaps the new CEO is needed to lessen the burden on Mr C in terms of making all this happen quickly. I would imagine that spare CEOs are a bit thin on the ground, maybe she was the only one available?

I’d say give it another month first, then we’ll have a better idea on the way things are heading.

Agree, and I'm sober as well, I will see if I agree in a few hours when im wasted. 

• Haha 1

I'm with you on this @theowlsman and think we are a long way off being dead and buried.

The new CEO appointment is a little strange but she's only been in football for about 5 or 6 years which makes me think she's been brought in for the business dealing side rather than a football one.

Can't help but think that a DOF will be brought in also to bridge the gap between the CEO, Mr Chansiri and whoever the manager may be. Some managers can't work like this so it will be an interesting appointment.

So you are AVB or some other big name manager, and this CEO comes calling for you,  you pick up the phone to your buddies in London and ask about her time at Charlton and be told don't touch the SWFC job with a bargepole. 

And if you are Paul Cook, Paul Hurst etc, you are clued in to her time in football here. 

This appointment of the CEO makes the recruitment of the manager much more difficult.

Well, I’ve given my views, not much else to say really. I’m clinging to the last bit of positivity I have left. 

I think the next month will be telling, but if we are to turn things around, there needs to be some decisiveness. I thought Mr C appointing a new CEO was just that, decisive.

Not sure about his choice myself either. Fingers crossed though.

I just hope you glass half full lads are right. I truly fear he's said feck it, i'm off but I just can't walk away as I have to protect my interest and get as much money back as possible, so I'm going to bring a hatchet man or woman in who will do exactly what I tell them whilst i'm 7000 miles away at home in the warm with my family.

Can’t believe people have witnessed that excuse for a performance today and the biggest concern is the appointment of an individual we know nothing about. Our concerns should be with playing stafff already at the club because we have big big problems with them. 

I just hope you glass half full lads are right. I truly fear he's said feck it, i'm off but I just can't walk away as I have to protect my interest and get as much money back as possible, so I'm going to bring a hatchet man or woman in who will do exactly what I tell them whilst i'm 7000 miles away at home in the warm with my family.

This is my big worry too. His rant after Carlos left was the statement of a very pissed off man. Either that or he really doesn't know what he's doing.

guess the next few weeks will tell, but I'm bloody worried.

I think we’re all bloody worried Plonk. I’ve bunged my blue tinted glasses on, and grabbed some comfort food to get me through the next few weeks though. 

Why is it always us? How do you go from having a wealthy new owner to this, and losing 0-3 at home to fecking Burton Albion FFS?

6 minutes ago, Plonk said:

This is my big worry too. His rant after Carlos left was the statement of a very pissed off man. Either that or he really doesn't know what he's doing.

guess the next few weeks will tell, but I'm bloody worried.

Just been on Owlsonline and they reckon she was the reason the charlton fans stopped the game with brum by launching a load of stress balls onto the pitch, i do remember this happening but didn't realise the cause of it. I'm off out now to try and find a shop open which sells stress balls before the price rockets, mmmm, new years day and shops open? Well i'll try anyway.

34 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Did you go today mate?

Theres sod all we can do about players who won't run, can't tackle, can't pass the ball 10 bloody yards....25'000 there...Who's given up?

Bar the actors onstage?

I said we were In trouble the moment the team was released and we'd lose due to the fact the four girl scouts that made up our midfield have about as many balls as a unoch convention I knew Burton eould just physically steam roll them, anyone with an ounce of intelligence or football knowledge could see that. I've seen more gritt in bottle of water. 

• Haha 1

Just been on Owlsonline and they reckon she was the reason the charlton fans stopped the game with brum by launching a load of stress balls onto the pitch, i do remember this happening but didn't realise the cause of it. I'm off out now to try and find a shop open which sells stress balls before the price rockets, mmmm, new years day and shops open? Well i'll try anyway.

Are you allowed out without supervision?lol

58 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Before writing the club off for relegation, suggesting our new CEO has been brought in to start dismantling the club, and stating that Mr C is on his way and will sell us on........

New CEO states that she was attracted by Mr C’s ambitious plans for the club.

Newspaper reports suggest Mr C is looking at big, big, names as the next manager of the club, AVB, Ranieri etc

Mr C tells us he is still committed. 

What about we wait to see what happens in January first?

It’s possible we might bring in a big name manager, and might bring in some quality players the new man wants to work with. We’ll undoubtedly need to offload some players too, and perhaps the new CEO is needed to lessen the burden on Mr C in terms of making all this happen quickly. I would imagine that spare CEOs are a bit thin on the ground, maybe she was the only one available?

I’d say give it another month first, then we’ll have a better idea on the way things are heading.

Good post mate. We badly need to prune this bloated squad of poor to average players. We then hope like hell we can get some of the footballers back soon, bring in some quality (the power and pace we’ve needed since Wembley and a f.ckin CH who can command the box) and try to bring through some of the better youth for next season.  If I was in DC’s position, facing a slow aging squad and wanting to get us into the Premier League, i’d probably bring in someone similar. Let’s give her a chance.