Dont write us off yet

1 minute ago, andytrig said:

It's going to take a miracle for us to reach the playoffs now butif the right manger comes in and gets us to string a run of wins together it could still happen.

I've just stuck £3 on us to go up.at 33-1.

Just now, WTF said:

Whilst its a.) mathematically possible and b.) 50-1 for us to go up, get £10 on and enjoy the second half of the season :biggrin:

The odds are long for a damn good reason.

They really do tease and goad my inner optimist though. Those pesky bookies!

But I'm not buying into it. Not even 50p!

lol

Well we've taken 30 points from 24 games.

To be in with a shout of the play off ,I think, we need to take 50 points from the next 22 and hope others balls up.

That is an incredibly big ask.

Especially given the players out injured and the damaged morale. 

It's doable. But would take a herculean effort. 

True. We were lucky perhaps that it was Forest we've just beaten who have been one of the poorest sides I've seen this season.

But as the old saying goes "you can o ky beat what's in front of you."

And genuinly. ..a 3-0 and a clean sheet was more than most would have expected.

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Good post, I love your positivity and you've made a persuasive argument that it is at least still possible.

However, the odds are well and truly stacked against us now, and while we have performed fantastically in isolated games this season, we haven't got close to any sort of run of form, let alone the kind of auto promotion form required just to have a shout at the top six.

I also think that for us to have any chance we'd have to rely on Bullen pulling out of the bag. The hope that we could seamlessly appoint a new manager, with new ideas, systems and training methods and maintain auto promotion form between his and Bullen's tenures, is hoping beyond hope for me.

While ever we have an outside chance of the top 6 I think Chansiri would (and should) stick with Bullen. As soon as we employ a new man, the focus should be on building for next season.

I agree completely with this. Top 6 is achievable but with little wiggle room for errors and would require Bullen to be the manager. Still we had a great run under mcauley and laws when the defensive shackles were removed when sturrock was sacked. Likewise when megson went. There are two examples of where over defensive managers were replaced and we thrived afterwards. And we now have a much better squad. So it is possible but will be as tight as a Mouses waistcoat. Need a minimum of 7 from the next 9 I reckon .

While admire the positivity and mathematically it's more than doable, I'm thinking small steps and targets, lets get in the top half, next concentrate on maybe top 10 and if we can do that in next 8-10 games we're not far off thinking about 6th. It's a huge ask but I think we might be good enough. 

I like the op just because it's nice to have a bit of optimism for a change. I expect it to be too big an ask and Carlos stayed just too long for us to have time to turn it around, but there are some winnable games coming up and if we find some form and confidence with a bit of a run who knows. The main aim for the rest of the season for me has to be getting the right manager in and giving them some time to assess the squad so we can hit pre-season running but take it one game at a time and let's see what happens.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I read so many posts writing the season off. We can still do this.

IMO its a fight for 5th and 6th between the following:-

Leeds 42

United 41

----------------

Boro 38

Villa 38

Wednesday 30

We can't catch Cardiff, and the other few sides above us just aren't good enough. We are good enough...now the shackles are off.

We hammered Forest with attacking football. We can do the same to another ordinary mid-table Brentford. If we do so, confidence will be sky high going into a homer against the poor Burton. Carlos would have said there are a strong side, but they have been bottom 5 for two seasons for a reason. The crowd will be right behind Bullen and the team. Bullen will have the lads attack from the off, and that should overwhelm Burton.

The table, ahead of the derby would then be similar to this:-

Leeds 46

United 44

-------------------

Boro 40

Villa 40

Wednesday 36

A victory for a newly-inspired Wednesday against an increasingly pressured United would cut the gap to just 5 points, with almost half a season to go. We have six-pointers v Boro, Villa and Leeds to come. 

If, like me, you think Carlos held a very good set of players back, then there is every chance we will gather more points than all of the above between now and April. Whether or not we can close the gap enough depends on us gaining momentum in January, by winning upto the United game under Bullen, then facing the likes of Boro, Cardiff and Leeds with unrecognizable confidence, determination and even swagger.

We've won 1 in 8.  We were lucky to be in front before the penalty too.  Love you optimism but hold your horses!!

Realistically, we won't finish in the top 6, but just to get the team playing in a more aggressive manner, attacking the opposition and playing wide players properly wide and on their correct side of the pitch will be good to see.  The nonsense of Wallace playing on the right and always cutting in on his left foot was ridiculous and cut down the options when going forward. 

A lot will also depend on how quickly some of the first choice players can get fit again.  To learn from the Star article yesterday that the pre-season training didn't include fitness / cardio work to any real degree was disgraceful and shows that Carlos' ideas about preparation for a season in the Championship were a long way from what they should have been.

Best to accept that promotion has gone for this season and concentrate on reviewing and re-building the squad for a real go at it next season.  All that is dependent upon getting the new Head Coach appointed in time to have two transfer windows before next season starts.  A chance for some real turnover in the squad and with a more attacking approach from the new Head Coach, the nucleus of the current squad plus a few additions could give us a more realistic chance next season.

Onwards and upwards!

UTO   WAWAW

Not a chance I'd say. To be honest I think our priorities are as follows:

- stop our alarming slide down the table

- get some confidence and self-belief back in the players

- improve the fitness of the players

- get injured players back

- change the god awful system we were playing 

- get some positivity back amongst the fanbase

If all that leads to a shot at the play offs then great but I'm not holding my breath. 

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I read so many posts writing the season off. We can still do this.

IMO its a fight for 5th and 6th between the following:-

Leeds 42

United 41

----------------

Boro 38

Villa 38

Wednesday 30

We can't catch Cardiff, and the other few sides above us just aren't good enough. We are good enough...now the shackles are off.

We hammered Forest with attacking football. We can do the same to another ordinary mid-table Brentford. If we do so, confidence will be sky high going into a homer against the poor Burton. Carlos would have said there are a strong side, but they have been bottom 5 for two seasons for a reason. The crowd will be right behind Bullen and the team. Bullen will have the lads attack from the off, and that should overwhelm Burton.

The table, ahead of the derby would then be similar to this:-

Leeds 46

United 44

-------------------

Boro 40

Villa 40

Wednesday 36

A victory for a newly-inspired Wednesday against an increasingly pressured United would cut the gap to just 5 points, with almost half a season to go. We have six-pointers v Boro, Villa and Leeds to come. 

If, like me, you think Carlos held a very good set of players back, then there is every chance we will gather more points than all of the above between now and April. Whether or not we can close the gap enough depends on us gaining momentum in January, by winning upto the United game under Bullen, then facing the likes of Boro, Cardiff and Leeds with unrecognizable confidence, determination and even swagger.

come on you blue n white wizaaaards!!

let's catch the top 2, half a season to go!

6 th place is a step too far for us this season I think. I also reckon United will make the play-offs but there their dream will end there once again.

Their record is so bad they might as well donate their place to the team that finishes 7th. That could be us.  :rolleyes: