Dont write us off yet

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I read so many posts writing the season off. We can still do this.

IMO its a fight for 5th and 6th between the following:-

Leeds 42

United 41

----------------

Boro 38

Villa 38

Wednesday 30

We can't catch Cardiff, and the other few sides above us just aren't good enough. We are good enough...now the shackles are off.

We hammered Forest with attacking football. We can do the same to another ordinary mid-table Brentford. If we do so, confidence will be sky high going into a homer against the poor Burton. Carlos would have said there are a strong side, but they have been bottom 5 for two seasons for a reason. The crowd will be right behind Bullen and the team. Bullen will have the lads attack from the off, and that should overwhelm Burton.

The table, ahead of the derby would then be similar to this:-

Leeds 46

United 44

-------------------

Boro 40

Villa 40

Wednesday 36

A victory for a newly-inspired Wednesday against an increasingly pressured United would cut the gap to just 5 points, with almost half a season to go. We have six-pointers v Boro, Villa and Leeds to come. 

If, like me, you think Carlos held a very good set of players back, then there is every chance we will gather more points than all of the above between now and April. Whether or not we can close the gap enough depends on us gaining momentum in January, by winning upto the United game under Bullen, then facing the likes of Boro, Cardiff and Leeds with unrecognizable confidence, determination and even swagger.

No chance.

its not about the point gap, it’s about the amount of points we have to get and the amount of teams we have to overtake.

The top 6 are currently on target to get 78-79 points.

We aren’t getting 48+ points from 22 matches - no matter which way you dress it up.

Boro and Fulham could be two outsiders to watch.  But they need far less points than us.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Looking for the positives, under Carlos we got 40 points in our final 22 matches, and that included fielding a reserve team in the deab rubber v Fulham.

Is it doable for these players to do one point better in an attacking approach, compared to the Carlos nick win/sit back approach?

That included a run of 6 wins in a row - our best form since the early 90s. Even if we had beaten Fulham, this season we'll still need to find another 5 points on top of our best form for 25 years and that's just to make the play offs. Doable, but highly unlikely. 

I'm just relieved that Carlos finally went in the end before the January window but it was just a bit too late to make top 6 this season. I would love to see the exciting attacking football of Carlos' first season back more consistently but for that to happen, we need plenty of changes on and off the pitch. I would use the remainder of the season to smartly build for next season and the future. Who knows with the pressure off, we might go on a unlikely run of form to push towards the top 6? But I think realistically and honestly there's too much to do this season and we should just take the pressure and expectancy off, and just try to enjoy the rest of the season and build for next season.

Leeds 42

United 41

----------------

Boro 38

Villa 38

Wednesday 30

We can't catch Cardiff, and the other few sides above us just aren't good enough. We are good enough...now the shackles are off.

We hammered Forest with attacking football. We can do the same to another ordinary mid-table Brentford. If we do so, confidence will be sky high going into a homer against the poor Burton. Carlos would have said there are a strong side, but they have been bottom 5 for two seasons for a reason. The crowd will be right behind Bullen and the team. Bullen will have the lads attack from the off, and that should overwhelm Burton.

Leeds 46

United 44

-------------------

Boro 40

Villa 40

Wednesday 36

A victory for a newly-inspired Wednesday against an increasingly pressured United would cut the gap to just 5 points, with almost half a season to go. We have six-pointers v Boro, Villa and Leeds to come. 

If, like me, you think Carlos held a very good set of players back, then there is every chance we will gather more points than all of the above between now and April. Whether or not we can close the gap enough depends on us gaining momentum in January, by winning upto the United game under Bullen, then facing the likes of Boro, Cardiff and Leeds with unrecognizable confidence, determination and even swagger.

We didn't hammer Forest intact if it wasn't for some poor finishing and good goalkeeping in the first half it would have been a different story

Edited by akbuk

21 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I totally understand that view, especially if you take the view we can't catch 6th. But I think we have a chance of going up this season with Bully. 

We can catch sixth; it's very, very unlikely though.

All it takes is a few losses or for Fulham or Norwich to go on the kind of run we're banking on, and then the dream is over and we've wasted another six months in a league where very few teams are standing still anymore. 

I'd rather the new manager has time to assess our squad, bring in some of his own players, and get them all doing things his way rather than pinning our hopes on Bullen turning into the second coming of Ferguson and pulling off something miraculous.

18 minutes ago, torryowl said:

they've only won 4 out of 12 home games , drew a blank against the mighty Barnsley last Saturday and have only scored 2 more goals at home than we have so have no track record that we should be afraid of.

maybe so but ive been impressed by them in 3 games ive seen them in this season , certainly wont end up 0-0 

This squad of players have finished in the Top 6 the last 2 season’s so it obviously has the capability to be a lot higher up the table than we currently are.

The big difference between us now and then is the defence. It is not as strong. It’s questionable how much playing time the stalwarts like Westwood, Loovens and Lees will have between now and the end of the season. The strength of the keeper and the centre of defence has covered the questionable strength of our full- back options.

I think we have enough in Midfield and Attack but we haven’t been free scoring even in Carlos’ first season. I suppose the rest of this season depends on whether Chansiri thinks promotion is still a possibility or not hence the speed of a new Head Coach appointment or not?

2 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

You never know, but I'd hold fire on this type of talk until after a very tricky away game on Saturday.

Well yes. 

Amazing what one win - against our whipping boys in Forest - and we are now play off contenders. 

Best to be a pessimistic b@stard. 

13 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

I’m all for positivity, but how a fan base can go from ‘we’re going down under carlos’ to ‘don’t write us off yet’ in the space of a few days and after one win amazes me.

It's not 'a fanbase' though, is it?

It's just @Holmowl and a couple of his mates who are still feeling the effects of one too many Christmas sherries.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

It’s a nice thought but won’t happen unfortunately, and I’m usually optimistic. Not just too many points behind but too many other teams above us. Plus the usual mantra of ‘it’s a long season and we’ve got a great squad’ won’t work this time as we’re already threadbare with a strong chance that injuries will get worse not bette judging by our portly players.

Great! 

However it it would be nice to win the next two or three and dream a little.

15 minutes ago, 109Waddle said:

I’m all for positivity, but how a fan base can go from ‘we’re going down under carlos’ to ‘don’t write us off yet’ in the space of a few days and after one win amazes me.

Personally, I held out as long as I could, it was really the loss at Norwich which ended my run of optimism under Carlos, I actually thought, a win at Norwich and we might just hang on to the coat tails  of top 8. Draws have killed us in the end.

We are too far off the pace now. Even with a little bounce and run under Bullen or the new manager we won't make any further progress this season.

It's a "breath in" season now. Sell a few in Jan, overhaul again in the summer. Then have a crack at promotion in 2018/19

UTO

Leeds 42

United 41

----------------

Boro 38

Villa 38

Wednesday 30

Leeds 46

United 44

-------------------

Boro 40

Villa 40

Wednesday 36

Agree mate.

I said the same thing in another post. 

Maybe not likely, but certainly possible. This league is still all over the place and history tells us there's always one that finds a bit of form and comes up on the rails.

Our squad depth had a big impact in the run in the last two seasons & could have an impact again.

Look at the players who have to come back into the squad following injuries and it's not beyond the realms that when other teams start sustaining injuries & suspensions we could make up some ground.

I'll leave the Holiday Inn Wembley still booked for the time being.

27 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

No chance.

its not about the point gap, it’s about the amount of points we have to get and the amount of teams we have to overtake.

The top 6 are currently on target to get 78-79 points.

We aren’t getting 48+ points from 22 matches - no matter which way you dress it up.

Boro and Fulham could be two outsiders to watch.  But they need far less points than us.

I think this might be a year where some real outsiders get into the top 6. Villa aren’t great and Leeds will inevitably fall apart. Maybe Brentford or Preston will get in the top 6- they have both been around it the last few years.