Dont write us off yet

I have written the season off so anything else is a bonus.

All I'd like now is for any new manager to spend the second half of the season getting his methods across to the squad so that we have a solid pre-season and can hit the ground running next year. If he's brought in during the next week that gives him a couple of transfer windows too.

The Chairman has to give the fans something to look forward to. ST renewals are on the horizon

The best we can hope for this season is,

Some attacking exciting football

The appointment of a good manager who will have time to prepare for next season

A good cup run

Beat Utd

Blunts to collapse.

I'm afraid playoffs are a step too far. 

14 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Good post, I love your positivity and you've made a persuasive argument that it is at least still possible.

However, the odds are well and truly stacked against us now, and while we have performed fantastically in isolated games this season, we haven't got close to any sort of run of form, let alone the kind of auto promotion form required just to have a shout at the top six.

I also think that for us to have any chance we'd have to rely on Bullen pulling out of the bag. The hope that we could seamlessly appoint a new manager, with new ideas, systems and training methods and maintain auto promotion form between his and Bullen's tenures, is hoping beyond hope for me.

While ever we have an outside chance of the top 6 I think Chansiri would (and should) stick with Bullen. As soon as we employ a new man, the focus should be on building for next season.

Thanks.

I agree. I think we have more chance with Bullen needing to succeed, rather than bringing in a more experienced guy who convinces DC to write this season off while he builds for next season.

If Lee fails we lose nothing, and the new guy can be sourced over the months to come. 

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I think the majority of us believed the season was over some weeks ago. I know that was based on CC still being here, but what evidence is there to even slightly believe we could get into the top 6. The win at Forest changes absolutely nothing. We need to go on an unbeatable run till the end of the season in my opinion and I cant see it with this squad and  so called 'injuries'. 2 points on average per game to even give us a glimmer of a chance of the top 6 finish. However we can only hope.

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Thanks.

I agree. I think we have more chance with Bullen needing to succeed, rather than bringing in a more experienced guy who convinces DC to write this season off while he builds for next season.

If Lee fails we lose nothing, and the new guy can be sourced over the months to come. 

If Bullen stays in charge for long, we lose the opportunity for a manager to put his stamp on the squad during the January transfer window. Having a caretaker in charge during this period could be a massive opportunity missed as we're frozen by inertia, unsure whether to accept bids for our players in case the new manager might want them, and unable to bring in the players who may be available who fit perfectly the new manager's plans.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If Bullen stays in charge for long, we lose the opportunity for a manager to put his stamp on the squad during the January transfer window. Having a caretaker in charge during this period could be a massive opportunity missed as we're frozen by inertia, unsure whether to accept bids for our players in case the new manager might want them, and unable to bring in the players who may be available who fit perfectly the new manager's plans.

I also think it may be a case where the manager is undermined knowing there is another man coming in at the end of the season. Like City under Pellegrini when the players knew Pep was coming.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I totally understand that view, especially if you take the view we can't catch 6th. But I think we have a chance of going up this season with Bully. 

1 minute ago, Charles Monkey said:

Love the optimism and it’s a great thought. We’ve only won a game though. 

My favorite mantra is that even the longest journey starts with a single step.

You are right of course, but is it unrealistic that we beat Brentford? And that from there we murder Burton in front of excited fans?

The long journey will look more manageable then.

1 hour ago, runningaround said:

“Average Brentford” what does that make us then? garymegson

Brentford are not average ,they totally outplayed us at ours earlier in season ,could easily have scored 4 in that game ,watched em against a villa looked very threatening going forward , we could have easily conceded 5 at forest and scored 6 was the best entertainment ive seen from us for at least 2-3 years ,if we are as open as what we were at forest we will need to score 4 as cant see Brentford missing chances like that , a couple of signings in January and we can play that system what we did against forest for rest of season plenty of entertainment ,

3 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

Brentford are not average ,they totally outplayed us at ours earlier in season ,could easily have scored 4 in that game ,watched em against a villa looked very threatening going forward , we could have easily conceded 5 at forest and scored 6 was the best entertainment ive seen from us for at least 2-3 years ,if we are as open as what we were at forest we will need to score 4 as cant see Brentford missing chances like that , a couple of signings in January and we can play that system what we did against forest for rest of season plenty of entertainment ,

they've only won 4 out of 12 home games , drew a blank against the mighty Barnsley last Saturday and have only scored 2 more goals at home than we have so have no track record that we should be afraid of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I read so many posts writing the season off. We can still do this.

IMO its a fight for 5th and 6th between the following:-

Leeds 42

United 41

----------------

Boro 38

Villa 38

Wednesday 30

We can't catch Cardiff, and the other few sides above us just aren't good enough. We are good enough...now the shackles are off.

We hammered Forest with attacking football. We can do the same to another ordinary mid-table Brentford. If we do so, confidence will be sky high going into a homer against the poor Burton. Carlos would have said there are a strong side, but they have been bottom 5 for two seasons for a reason. The crowd will be right behind Bullen and the team. Bullen will have the lads attack from the off, and that should overwhelm Burton.

The table, ahead of the derby would then be similar to this:-

Leeds 46

United 44

-------------------

Boro 40

Villa 40

Wednesday 36

A victory for a newly-inspired Wednesday against an increasingly pressured United would cut the gap to just 5 points, with almost half a season to go. We have six-pointers v Boro, Villa and Leeds to come. 

If, like me, you think Carlos held a very good set of players back, then there is every chance we will gather more points than all of the above between now and April. Whether or not we can close the gap enough depends on us gaining momentum in January, by winning upto the United game under Bullen, then facing the likes of Boro, Cardiff and Leeds with unrecognizable confidence, determination and even swagger.

That’s the spirit ..... give it a go !