Carlos linked with Swansea

We are not a big club.

Carlos should have achieved more with our squad. Most managers fail in comparison to our fans expectations. There lies the issue. We have short memories. If we hit the premiership a lot of our fans would expect Champions League football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, s8owl75 said:

Good luck to him, he's not a bad Manager, knows a great deal about the game, but like all Football Manager's, when the players stop listening its cheaper and more practical to get rid of the Manager than wait several years for the players to leave.

I think Swansea will go down either way, but I always thought if we did go up Carlos would do well in the Premier as his outlook is actually more suited to a Premier League survival campaign. i.e. picking tactics to suit the strengths of the opposition.

when the players stop listening its cheaper and more practical to get rid of the Manager than wait several years for the players to leave.

Absolutely correct, which is why I wanted Chansiri to act.

It's the only way to dispel the hangover.

It's not because I think Carlos is a bad manager.

Just now, WatfordOwl said:

A manager with a 42% win ration in English football..........why wouldn't they be interested in him?

If he got the job and did that til the end of the season, strong chance Swansea would stay up.

They are the new Sunderland.

Don't come on here with facts

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, vulva said:

One thing about the Carlos situation that has surprised me is the behaviour of some on here. Maybe it shouldn't?

After years in the wilderness we reached the playoffs twice, and had some fantastic times, playing some brilliant football. He was also a top bloke, a great ambassador for the club and the only manager I can ever remember getting praise from Unitedites. Even they liked him. The media loved the bloke, and the whole club was lifted. 

The last 6 months went pear shaped, but the childish language, vile criticism and pathetic put downs on here by a pre pubescent minority is quite disgraceful, and those doing it should be thoroughly ashamed. It would be bad enough directing such bile towards the likes of Irvine and Jones, when the football and ambition was really bad. 

This is Sheffield Wednesday. Not Leeds, United, Millwall etc. Show some respect, have some manners and grow up. Or do one. 

The level of debate from certain quarters reached primary school level in the past couple of months, didn't it?

Branding the manager of our club 'Coco', 'Clueless', or in some cases a 'cnut' really was pathetic, yet some seemed to revel in their name-calling.

Perhaps naively, I had expected better of Wednesday fans. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, heppers said:

We are not a big club.

Carlos should have achieved more with our squad. Most managers fail in comparison to our fans expectations. There lies the issue. We have short memories. If we hit the premiership a lot of our fans would expect Champions League football.

I don't have an issue with Carlos' style - it's OK playing breathtaking attacking football if you're ex-PL with parachute cash like the Toon.

What I don't understand is that if you're going to do a Karanka, why not get a Huddlestone in the middle and lavish cash on the defence?

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

I don't have an issue with Carlos' style - it's OK playing breathtaking attacking football if you're ex-PL with parachute cash like the Toon.

What I don't understand is that if you're going to do a Karanka, why not get a Huddlestone in the middle and lavish cash on the defence?

Which was obvious in the play off final. You are right.

Just now, heppers said:

Which was obvious in the play off final. You are right.

Unless it was out of his hands, recruitment I mean.

I even wondered if it was linked to the wage structure here, that is there was a certain limit for defenders which hampered us in recruitment.

Lees is the biggest wage-earner on £25 000.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Indeed, even last season when it came apparant that 442 was here to stay we were missing a pacy and creative winger and a defensive midfielder, which in my limited understanding of playing 442 tend to be needed.  Yet after 2-3 transfer windows they never arrived.

I do think Carlos looked at Boro and Burnley and thought disciplined and compact was the way to get promoted, but we never seemed to get the right players in to use that style effectively. 

Hopefully the new man will either use the squad we have more suitably or have a better impact in the transfer windows 

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

What exactly have you got against Carlos? Its like a Daily Express anti EU witch hunt with you.    If you believe anything you read in the Sun, you've got serious problems.    Hes been our best manager by far in 20 years

1)Bryan Laws got sacked by us.

His next match was Man Utd v Burnley at Old Trafford, in front of 75,000. 

2).  Carlos has managed Sporting Lisbon and Galatasary who are both bigger than Sheffield Wednesday.   Since when were we a big club?   Outside North Sheffield, most people would see Portsmouth, Wigan and Blackburn as bigger than us.  He's also played for far bigger clubs than we will ever be.  Porto for a start.  

I predict he will manage a club bigger than us. And do well.  

Totally agree people should watch Lee Bullens interview which he gave after yesterday's game, they may just learn how to act with a bit of class.

Carlos started the long road to success for us he may at not  the credit he deserves but he's laid the foundations

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Indeed, even last season when it came apparant that 442 was here to stay we were missing a pacy and creative winger and a defensive midfielder, which in my limited understanding of playing 442 tend to be needed.  Yet after 2-3 transfer windows they never arrived.

I do think Carlos looked at Boro and Burnley and thought disciplined and compact was the way to get promoted, but we never seemed to get the right players in to use that style effectively. 

Hopefully the new man will either use the squad we have more suitably or have a better impact in the transfer windows 

Spot on.

Which is exactly why Gibson has purposely gone for Pulis, to continue the Karanka tradition.

Gibson's astute enough to know that they can't do it the way the Magpies did ... and neither could Fulham.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, vulva said:

One thing about the Carlos situation that has surprised me is the behaviour of some on here. Maybe it shouldn't?

After years in the wilderness we reached the playoffs twice, and had some fantastic times, playing some brilliant football. He was also a top bloke, a great ambassador for the club and the only manager I can ever remember getting praise from Unitedites. Even they liked him. The media loved the bloke, and the whole club was lifted. 

The last 6 months went pear shaped, but the childish language, vile criticism and pathetic put downs on here by a pre pubescent minority is quite disgraceful, and those doing it should be thoroughly ashamed. It would be bad enough directing such bile towards the likes of Irvine and Jones, when the football and ambition was really bad. 

This is Sheffield Wednesday. Not Leeds, United, Millwall etc. Show some respect, have some manners and grow up. Or do one. 

Very rare we agree but that my friend is a SUPERB post.  Hats off to ya!!

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Unfortunately you shouldn’t be surprised by the childishness or the total lack of respect. Although whilst some you’d expect it from there are other seemingly intelligent people who have self selected themselves as full-weigh bell ends.

They’ll be all ‘WAWAW’ soon and proud of being the ‘best fans in the world’ but it’s still all there in black and white and they’ve not much in common with me or the majority, thankfully.

As for Carlos, good luck to him wherever he goes next on the merry-go-round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

What exactly have you got against Carlos? Its like a Daily Express anti EU witch hunt with you.    If you believe anything you read in the Sun, you've got serious problems.    Hes been our best manager by far in 20 years

1)Bryan Laws got sacked by us.

His next match was Man Utd v Burnley at Old Trafford, in front of 75,000. 

2).  Carlos has managed Sporting Lisbon and Galatasary who are both bigger than Sheffield Wednesday.   Since when were we a big club?   Outside North Sheffield, most people would see Portsmouth, Wigan and Blackburn as bigger than us.  He's also played for far bigger clubs than we will ever be.  Porto for a start.  

I predict he will manage a club bigger than us. And do well.  

I wish Carlos all the best, yet the fact S6 was his longest tenure speaks volumes. He may well indeed get a plum high profile job, but he won’t last. This prediction is based on his club history rather than fantasy.

Edited by pussface
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Agree completely. I wanted Carlos out, and have said so on here, but in a respectful manner. I think most genuine owls are very greatful for the times he has given us. I just thought he had taken us as far as he could and it was time to go. I do wonder though how many blunts are registered on here ? Disagreeing on tactics, selection etc is normal but some of the comments directed at Carlos and the Chairman can't come from anyone with any affection for the club. I wish him luck wherever he goes.

Edited by doubleo

Carlos would be a good fit in the Prem for a lower team. His strengths of creating good tactical plans against bigger teams and decent media/man management skills would be good.

His weaknesses of a lack of courage to go for it and an attacking mindset would be less of a problem.

41 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Unless it was out of his hands, recruitment I mean.

I even wondered if it was linked to the wage structure here, that is there was a certain limit for defenders which hampered us in recruitment.

Lees is the biggest wage-earner on £25 000.

Agreed. There are a lot of unknowns.

I just don't get this 'Carlos would be a decent Premiership manager' theory. He's managed at top clubs in Europe....and come up short every time. What makes people believe he'd do well in the toughest league in World football? It's a nuts theory.