RHODES

35 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes' record since early October 2015, with three different clubs, is a rather underwhelming (considering two transfers in that time totalling something like £16m) ...

56+28 appearances, 19 goals.

Even at Blackburn, where he was prolific overall, he ended his time there with just 4 goals in his last 18 games.

But statistics aren't everything, even though many people seem to think with strikers that they are. He just doesn't look like someone who can make a wide-ranging contribution to the team. 

While you're on about stats.. what's his minutes per goals look like?

FFS ™

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

While you're on about stats.. what's his minutes per goals look like?

FFS ™

How did it look last season or when his time at Blackburn was coming to an end (17+1 games for 4 goals, one of them against a League Two team in the cup)? By that kind of measure, if he scores in the first minute of a game it doesn't really matter if he sits in a deckchair for the next three hours of playing time as he's keeping up the goal every other game average.

I actually don't think strikers should be judged too greatly by statistics. There's all sorts of circumstances that can affect them positively or negatively. I'm merely listing them to show that even what some of Rhodes' supporters hang their hat on has been rather mediocre for the last two years and doesn't even compare that well with our 4th/5th choice striker or even a central midfielder. 

I'd much rather watch the player and judge his contribution and how he fits into the overall team pattern. So far, Rhodes has shown very little. Even his supposed strength - finishing, has been hit and miss. It's obviously true that our style of play has limited his chances, but that has not prevented others from scoring at a better rate in the same situation.

• Like 1

But as you ask, according to whoscored.com, our minutes per goal statistics this season in the Championship...

Winnall            136

Joao                150

Nuhiu               163

Hooper            193

Rhodes            242

Lee                  335

Edited by DJMortimer

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I actually don't think strikers should be judged too greatly by statistics.

I agree, except for goals to games. When he had confidence his stats speak for themselves. Still have faith he will come good in the Championship.

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

But as you ask, according to whoscored.com, our minutes per goal statistics this season in the Championship...

Winnall            136

Joao                150

Nuhiu               163

Hooper            193

Rhodes            242

Lee                  335

Ta

FFS ®

2 minutes ago, TheRock said:

I agree, except for goals to games. When he had confidence his stats speak for themselves. Still have faith he will come good in the Championship.

What's the more impressive feat in terms of just pure numbers? Aguero scoring 25 in 40 games for Manchester City or Abraham scoring 15 in 40 games for Swansea?

And citing 'confidence' just sounds like a cop out. How do we quantify that?

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

What's the more impressive feat in terms of just pure numbers? Aguero scoring 25 in 40 games for Manchester City or Abraham scoring 15 in 40 games for Swansea?

And citing 'confidence' just sounds like a cop out. How do we quantify that?

U cant, though for the Forest game, Rhodes probably wouldn't have taken the penalty like he did, if Carlos was the manager.

You gotta feel the love as a player, I don't think Rhodes did under Carlos, under Bullen and his Dad more so I'd guess.

Edited by TheRock

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes' record since early October 2015, with three different clubs, is a rather underwhelming (considering two transfers in that time totalling something like £16m) ...

56+28 appearances, 19 goals.

Even at Blackburn, where he was prolific overall, he ended his time there with just 4 goals in his last 18 games.

But statistics aren't everything, even though many people seem to think with strikers that they are. He just doesn't look like someone who can make a wide-ranging contribution to the team. 

Was the later spell with Blackburn after Gestede left?

Rhodes as scored goals feeding off a target man. The Swansea fan played him as a target man. 

Boro I am not to familiar with but when I did see them it wasn't a display of attacking intent.

Rhodes is similar to Billy Sharp they basically offer a bit of graft and goals, stick the ball in the box and they come alive. Try and play a more technical game and their deficiencies stand out.

Let's hope he comes good but he will need early balls into the box where he can attack the right areas and not stand wondering, as Hooper as done when the ball is going to be delivered.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 27/12/2017 at 08:25, Grassy knoll said:

How can any Wednesday fan spell Hirst wrong ? Come on mate. 

It's called predictive text mate!

7 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

Goodness sake you pick a game against a poor side that we won 5-0 to illustrate how good he is.

We have drawn and lost to many poor sides. Norwich was a superb performance, including Rhodes' contributions.

1 hour ago, pride_of_the_road said:

We have signed a player who we have wanted since 2011!

Enjoy the next couple of seasons while he is here:rolleyes:

Yeah but apparently he's not good enough for this division according to some. :duntmatter:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Continuing from my thread a few posts ago, since early October 2015...

Sam Winnall (Barnsley, SWFC, Derby)                              73+21 (38)

Gary Hooper (SWFC only)                                                 67+16 (30)

Fernando Forestieri (SWFC only)                                      63+12 (26)

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn, Middlesbrough, SWFC)          56+28 (19)

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland, Marseilles, SWFC)              59+27 (18)

Kieran Lee (SWFC only)                                                      77+7 (13)

Lucas Joao (SWFC, Blackburn)                                         34+50 (12)

And many of us criticise Fletcher for not scoring enough goals and the same ones think Rhodes will take us to the Premiership.

4 hours ago, pride_of_the_road said:

We have signed a player who we have wanted since 2011!

Enjoy the next couple of seasons while he is here:rolleyes:

The same people also wanted ALF, and he would have been a similar disaster Too many living in the past I’m afraid

I’ve not really voiced this before as there were plenty of people criticising Rhodes without me sticking the boot in but now the whole pre-season thing is out the bag I will say that my main concern with him is that he doesn’t appear to be able to run very fast... at all. He’s just so clearly not fit that I don’t think we can judge properly until he is. Or maybe he never will be again, I don’t know.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I’ve not really voiced this before as there were plenty of people criticising Rhodes without me sticking the boot in but now the whole pre-season thing is out the bag I will say that my main concern with him is that he doesn’t appear to be able to run very fast... at all. He’s just so clearly not fit that I don’t think we can judge properly until he is. Or maybe he never will be again, I don’t know.

Perhaps it is fitness...but I have to agree about his pace or lack thereof. 

Having watched him now for several months I am concerned about his lack of link-up play and his ability to act as a focal point for the team. 

There's no denying his ability within the box and that he will score goals IF he gets the right delivery...but in this day and age (with the expectations on strikers to be more than just goalscorers, whether that's right or not) I'm just not convinced he brings enough of an all-around game if he isn't scoring.