RHODES

Rhodes needs early balls into the danger area, not waiting around while we feck about with the ball. Which in turn usually means he gets marked and then has to jostle with defenders.

Goals = confidence

Confidence= no longer trying to get a clean hit on it every time, just hitting it. The former takes a little longer where goalkeepers can get set or defenders can get in the way.

4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Just because he's 27 doesn't necessarily mean he's already had his best years. The guy even struggles to run properly.

The bizarreness is those of you who watch Rhodes play and still think he's one of best strikers in the Championship.

He’s been here a year and not had one single game where he’s looked like a top class centre forward.

boro saw us coming.

5 minutes ago, ka58 said:

He’s been here a year and not had one single game where he’s looked like a top class centre forward.

boro saw us coming.

Norwich and Villa away this season. I guess he just fell onto those goals. If we set up to support him properly, he's a real asset. 

It's not his fault Carlos had a team rule that you had to wait for the opposites to have 2 banks of 4 in place before a cross was delivered.

1 minute ago, Wakefield owl said:

We blew what was left of our transfer kitty on Rhodes and will suffer as a result for a while. It's already cost CC his job. The £8m could have been much better spent.

testicles. CC lost his job because of tactics and an utter reliance on Bannan and Hutch

5 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Norwich and Villa away this season. I guess he just fell onto those goals. If we set up to support him properly, he's a real asset. 

It's not his fault Carlos had a team rule that you had to wait for the opposites to have 2 banks of 4 in place before a cross was delivered.

Nah. He played well at villa. Not at Norwich.

Picking out two games where he scored doesn’t make him top class.

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As Bullen said class is permanent, form is temporary. I believe he will be a very important goal scorer for us under a new manager. People seem to love writing players off. 

Temporary for a year?

1 minute ago, ka58 said:

Nah. He played well at villa. Not at Norwich.

Picking out two games where he scored doesn’t make him top class.

Norwich at home last year 

2 quality crosses 2 quality headers, 2 goals 

need more of that type of service

Carlos also massively mis managed him. Playing him 3 games then dropping him then playing him for 20 mins as sub when we were chasing the game.

give him 10 games, play him with another forward, NOT Hooper, and he will score goals 

Bullen got it spot on at Forest having Rhodes as a 2 with Hooper behind

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

As Bullen said class is permanent, form is temporary. I believe he will be a very important goal scorer for us under a new manager. People seem to love writing players off. 

No I don't love writing players off at all but I do make judgement on what I see now and not on what any player did 2,3 or 4 years ago.

I would actually love to be wrong on this but just cannot see it.

1 minute ago, yeadonowl said:

Norwich at home last year 

2 quality crosses 2 quality headers, 2 goals 

need more of that type of service

Carlos also massively mis managed him. Playing him 3 games then dropping him then playing him for 20 mins as sub when we were chasing the game.

give him 10 games, play him with another forward, NOT Hooper, and he will score goals 

Bullen got it spot on at Forest having Rhodes as a 2 with Hooper behind

Goodness sake you pick a game against a poor side that we won 5-0 to illustrate how good he is.

28 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Dont think it's fitness with Rhodes but more that he hasn't done it for two years now.

Rhodes' record since early October 2015, with three different clubs, is a rather underwhelming (considering two transfers in that time totalling something like £16m) ...

56+28 appearances, 19 goals.

Even at Blackburn, where he was prolific overall, he ended his time there with just 4 goals in his last 18 games.

But statistics aren't everything, even though many people seem to think with strikers that they are. He just doesn't look like someone who can make a wide-ranging contribution to the team. 

Edited by DJMortimer

4 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

More a case of illustrating that provide the service and he will score

We just haven’t provided any kind of service

Call me on 0344 4991000 and I’ll provide a service.

2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

More a case of illustrating that provide the service and he will score

We just haven’t provided any kind of service

Continuing from my thread a few posts ago, since early October 2015...

Sam Winnall (Barnsley, SWFC, Derby)                              73+21 (38)

Gary Hooper (SWFC only)                                                 67+16 (30)

Fernando Forestieri (SWFC only)                                      63+12 (26)

Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn, Middlesbrough, SWFC)          56+28 (19)

Steven Fletcher (Sunderland, Marseilles, SWFC)              59+27 (18)

Kieran Lee (SWFC only)                                                      77+7 (13)

Lucas Joao (SWFC, Blackburn)                                         34+50 (12)

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

We blew what was left of our transfer kitty on Rhodes and will suffer as a result for a while. It's already cost CC his job. The £8m could have been much better spent.

Nonsense. CC lost his job simply because he could no longer do it. Happens in all walks of life...