Wildsmith

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

Okay

Sheff Wed    1 - 2    Middlesbro - 1 mistake, 1 penalty save, 1 point blank save

Sheff Wed    0 - 1    Wolves - ?

Bolton    2 - 1    Sheff Wed - ?
Sheff Wed    3 - 0    Leeds - ?
Birmingham    1 - 0    Sheff Wed - ?

Burton    1 - 1    Sheff Wed ? 

Which was the game with the duff clearance?

Keeper made a point blank save, saved a penalty and some of you are saying he doesn’t have it in him? I have absolutely no idea what game you watched yesterday but I’m not blaming  the keeper for the shower of poo we watched at Hillsborough. It’s the 10 other players’ fault for not getting out to block the shot or create anything positive in the other 89 minutes of the game. 

his kicking is also ten times better than Westwood’s. Young keepers make mistakes. It happens. 

9 minutes ago, Daavies; said:

Keeper made a point blank save, saved a penalty and some of you are saying he doesn’t have it in him? I have absolutely no idea what game you watched yesterday but I’m not blaming  the keeper for the shower of poo we watched at Hillsborough. It’s the 10 other players’ fault for not getting out to block the shot or create anything positive in the other 89 minutes of the game. 

his kicking is also ten times better than Westwood’s. Young keepers make mistakes. It happens. 

The best keepers make the fewest mistakes.

The majority of keepers save a few penalties throughout their career

Amazing how you can be totally absolved from any blame as an academy graduate.

Edited by McRightSide

I believe Wildsmith will be a solid keeper for us but like many have said he needs to be playing regular football, you can spend all day on the trg pitch but you cant prepare for game situations in trg.

It's the atmosphere, the pressure and the emotion that he needs to feel and get used to.

I fully believe that he made that mistake because of the penalty save, he's a young keeper and he's just saved a penalty for the team he supports, he must have been on cloud 9, he let the emotion get to him, now he needs to learn from that.

4 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

I believe Wildsmith will be a solid keeper for us but like many have said he needs to be playing regular football, you can spend all day on the trg pitch but you cant prepare for game situations in trg.

It's the atmosphere, the pressure and the emotion that he needs to feel and get used to.

I fully believe that he made that mistake because of the penalty save, he's a young keeper and he's just saved a penalty for the team he supports, he must have been on cloud 9, he let the emotion get to him, now he needs to learn from that.

Totally agree.

And Bamford reacted like he did because he was baiting him all game

Edited by McRightSide

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

The best keepers make the fewest mistakes. The majority of keepers save penalties 

Or are you being more harsh on the lad because he's from the academy?

You are comparing him to the 'best keepers' well no one is saying he's the best keeper in the world. 

Why not compare him to all the other 21 year old keepers in the country?

Jordan Pickford is probably the best young Keeper about, he still makes mistakes though and he's had 2 years more experience than Joe.

Joe Wildsmith is not far from where Pickford was 2 years ago. Pickford is now in the England set up.

Let the f'king lad develop before writing him off.

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, sMacLean said:

For a club supposedly trying to get auto promotion to rely on kids as support keepers is just not happening.Must be a decent experienced keeper.

Funny that because half the fanbase are shouting to start George Hirst & Penney despite never seeing them play!

I think Westwood has made more mistakes this season than Wildsmith. I'm not saying he's finished article but if he played all season I'd not be upset either. 

This season is almost dead now - barring an incredible fight back for the play off spots I'd not be too displeased to see a few of the young uns get a shot. 

I thought Wildsmith played well yesterday. His distribution was good and quick and he made good saves and generally handled well and looked composed and assured IMO.

Yeah he dropped a b!!!!ck and has also previously dropped the odd one, I accept. In fairness though all keepers do, but in general terms i would say he looks a good and promising young goalkeeper, who will also get better with age and experience.

I'm glad we've got him and a he's Wednesday fan to boot - always a bonus.

UTO.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Which was the game with the duff clearance?

So he didn't make any mistakes in those games then, despite you alluding to the fact he makes a critical mistake every time he puts on a shirt? Glad we have cleared that one up. 

The poor clearance was against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup, a game we were already 1-0 down in. It was also exactly the same error that seasoned pro Westwood made at Brentford in the same season.

"How many points does he need to cost us before we get a proper back up for Westwood and send him out on loan?

Awful howler...again"

To clarify, you cannot remember a single game where he has cost us any points before yesterday, and it is highly debatable to suggest he did cost us points yesterday given his other contributions and the fact it was our poorest team performance since the derby. 

The argument for a high level number 2 is a valid one, claiming our current one produces a howler with each appearance ("Just pick a game he played") is complete nonsense, but unfortunately this is typical of the type of embarrassing blinkered scapegoating we've become accustomed to seeing from our supporters. 

You cant give MOTM to a keeper when they make a howler like that in a game that finishes 2-1

Did you see the flipping rest of them yesterday?

Who would you give MOTM to then?

Pupil, Palmer were pathetic. We should have conceded 5 or 6 goals. 

Hutch was the only midfielder to show up and he gave away a penalty.

Reach, Jones and Wallace were all sh*t. Hooper did nothing but shout at his team mates. 

Dave had a decent game.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

So he didn't make any mistakes in those games then, despite you alluding to the fact he makes a critical mistake every time he puts on a shirt? Glad we have cleared that one up. 

The poor clearance was against Middlesbrough in the FA Cup, a game we were already 1-0 down in. It was also exactly the same error that seasoned pro Westwood made at Brentford in the same season.

"How many points does he need to cost us before we get a proper back up for Westwood and send him out on loan?

Awful howler...again"

To clarify, you cannot remember a single game where he has cost us any points before yesterday, and it is highly debatable to suggest he did cost us points yesterday given his other contributions and the fact it was our poorest team performance since the derby. 

The argument for a high level number 2 is a valid one, claiming our current one produces a howler with each appearance ("Just pick a game he played") is complete nonsense, but unfortunately this is typical of the type of embarrassing blinkered scapegoating we've become accustomed to seeing from our supporters. 

He regularly makes mistakes. Critical ones that lead to goals

Needs to go out, play and come back if and when he’s ready.

Right now, he’s offering up a major clanged far too often.

bury you head in the sand if you want.

The best keepers make the fewest mistakes.

The majority of keepers save a few penalties throughout their career

Westwood has made some right shockers this year though, but he's like Bannan. Untouchable.

• Like 1

You can’t blame Van Aken for a keeper fumbling a dolly into the net from 25 yards.

He made the first clearance, that’s his job...get the ball moving away from goal

It was a crap clearance. 

Van Aken needs to learn as well though. He's a much better footballer than Lees or Loovens will ever be.