BREAKING NEWS : CARLOS CARVALHAL LEAVES by mutual consent

Bez

My honest opinion of the situation is that all this could have been avoided by calling it a day last summer and the club and Carlos going their separate ways . His first season was fantastic ,and we played a brand of football never seen at Hillsbro , it was breathtaking , teams couldnt cope with us until Hull sussed us out in the play off final. Last season everyone knew exactly how we would play ,but somehow we managed to sneak into the play offs , but the writing was on the wall and the warning signs were there. 

Carlos only had one way of playing , which had been found out , he didnt have any plan B , and refused to change system or tactics which has made it easy for teams to beat us this season. 

I would like to place on record my thanks to Carlos  for all his hard work and effort, but sadly he stayed here 6 months too long. 

Good luck for the future Carlos .

I was one of the ones saying he had to go. I wish him well for the future and thank him for the first season and trip to Wembley especially. I really wanted him to get us to the premiership but since last season it's just proved we needed a change. The timing could have been better though. He will be a manager most us will look back on and wish things could have gone differently. This is football though and at some point you just have to change things. 

We've been a disgrace btw - getting carried away with the new investment, quickly forgetting the miserable tenure of Uncle Dave and the Napoleon's mob. We suddenly thought this was going to be an overnight evolution. 10 players out, but did we have any sympathy or patience for a man, who with a fully fit squad brought dignity back to S6? Are we becoming as deluded as West Brom or Villa fans? Probably. Good luck Carlos, you deserved better than this Dooley-esque exit.

Edited by Mel_Sterlands_Mullet

39 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes has done NOTHING to suggest he has that potential anymore. There haven't even been slight hints that a goal machine is waiting to burst onto the scene. For sure, our pedestrian and over-cautious football has been a burden to him and all our other strikers, but it hasn't stopped Hooper, Forestieri, Winnall and even Fletcher scoring at a considerably better rate. 

Rhodes scores at a significantly quicker rate than Fletcher, and a similar one to Hooper...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

6 minutes ago, Mel_Sterlands_Mullet said:

We've been a disgrace btw - getting carried away with the new investment, quickly forgetting the miserable tenure of Uncle Dave and the Napoleon's mob. We suddenly thought this was going to be an overnight evolution. 10 players out, but did we have any sympathy or patience for a man, who with a fully fit squad brought dignity back to S6? Are we becoming as deluded as West Brom or Villa fans? Probably. Good luck Carlos, you deserved better than this Dooley-esque exit.

CC's the one who inexplicably abandoned the impressive footballing of his first season.

6 minutes ago, Mel_Sterlands_Mullet said:

Sorry, but the moment that Bristol City home game was announced at £39 for the cheapest ticket, expectations rightfully skyrocketed

14 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

My honest opinion of the situation is that all this could have been avoided by calling it a day last summer and the club and Carlos going their separate ways . His first season was fantastic ,and we played a brand of football never seen at Hillsbro , it was breathtaking , teams couldnt cope with us until Hull sussed us out in the play off final. Last season everyone knew exactly how we would play ,but somehow we managed to sneak into the play offs , but the writing was on the wall and the warning signs were there. 

Carlos only had one way of playing , which had been found out , he didnt have any plan B , and refused to change system or tactics which has made it easy for teams to beat us this season. 

I would like to place on record my thanks to Carlos  for all his hard work and effort, but sadly he stayed here 6 months too long. 

Good luck for the future Carlos .

Rather than me quoting the whole post...............Whats this "but somehow we managed to sneak into the play offs" crap ?

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Rhodes scores at a significantly quicker rate than Fletcher, and a similar one to Hooper...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-wednesday/top-scorers

Interesting that Nuhiu has a better strike rate on there than Rhodes or Hooper does ! :biggrin: And I'd question the accuracy when it also shows Barry Bannan scoring at a rate consistent with once every other game and Sam Hutchinson averaging a hat-trick every 90 minutes.

Extend that timeline to include all of Rhodes' tenure with us and I suspect you'll see a big difference. 

Edited by DJMortimer
Spelling mistake.

My worry is its clear Chansiri didn't want Carlos to leave and we've seemingly become a business that knows little about football. Who picks the manager. I mean although Carlos was unknown at least we had Paul Aldridge to advise the chairman.

Our manager could be announced sometime around next September and given to the manager with the best agent.

10 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Sorry, but the moment that Bristol City home game was announced at £39 for the cheapest ticket, expectations rightfully skyrocketed

This.

Club made a rod for its own back with its pricing policy. Knowing how fickle football fans are as soon as performances and results fell below promotion chasing then heavy criticism was bound to follow.

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Interesting that Nuhiu has a better strike rate on there than Rhodes or Hooper does ! :biggrin: And I'd question the accuracy when it also shows Barry Bannan scoring at a rate consistent with once every other game and Sam Hutchinson averaging a hat-trick every 90 minutes.

Extend that timeline to include all of Rhodes' tenure with us and I suspect you'll see a big difference. 

The Bannan one had a typo where he had played 180 minutes rather than 1880.

59 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

The words "world class" and swfc don't belong...................................EVER.

People have such short memories...its only a few short weeks since the world beating Cakeball and its like it never happened. No wonder the Dear Leader is a bit miffed.

1 hour ago, Mel_Sterlands_Mullet said:

Give over. He’s had a fully fit side for most of the last 18 months and the football has been poo . We can’t keep putting up with the mediocre just because we used to be even worse! Have some bloody ambition, I’m 25 and would actually like to see us in the PL for once! 

At a personal level I am sad to see Carlos go. But it was seeming ever more inevitable as we went on our current winless streak that he would have to go. But if he ever reads Owlstalk I would like thank Carlos for restoring my belief in the Owls after nearly 20 years of watching far more turgid football than we have had to endure this season. As for his replacement I hope there is someone out there currently coaching in the Bundesliga who can take us up and keep us up. Muito Obrigado Carlos, Boas Festas.

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

And for those of us who remember how he arrived on this site, it's all the more laughable that he should so self-righteously appoint himself as the doyen :dry: of how to run every single aspect of a football club as he rather spectacularly backed very much the wrong horse back then. 

Now this is a story I would love to hear. pretty please ???  Pretty, pretty please ???