Wednesday 1 : 2 Middlesbrough OMDT

Morning spunk trumpets!

It's match day again.

Are you all full of festive cheer?

I am certainly feeling much better of late as my man Stubbs has come up trumps in a real fashion. He came knocking on the door of the old Campervan the other night and by candlelight led me into the deeper into the woods, whereupon we came across a hatch. He turned the bold top and lifted the lid and down we climbed into the gloom below.

I did wonder for a moment whether the cove was going to do me in. It's easy to become paranoid when you're living alone in the woods off wild mushrooms.  But I needn't have worried. For once down the tunnel we came to a vault door at the other end and when he opened it... an underground room right under the big house. Well almost. It's underneath the arborium. 

It might not seem much but after living like a tramp these last few months it seems a palace to me.  A cosy retreat from the cold and a chance, still for a warm and cosy Christmas.  He's even sneaked me some books down from the library.  What a man! He'll certainly be getting a Christmas bonus.  Well...he would if I could offer him anything.

Image may contain: table and indoor

Anyway. To the game!

Wednesday - V - Middlesbrough

Image may contain: text

Big Carlton had plenty to say on Football heaven this week, and to be honest I found it hard to argue with any of the points he raised. 

At one moment I did wonder if he had lost the thread when he said he thought there was nothing wrong with a few pints and the players developing team spirit through it.

I thought maybe he was 'harking back to the old days'. Till I heard Sam Hutchinsons interview. He was saying the lads did have a good spirit. But tellingly, he said the best two training sessions they've had were the two after their Christmas do.

I don't want to put two and two together but... actually, that's exactly what I am going to do. I think Carlton has a point. Carlos could do better than let the lads off the leash a bit more. Sometimes they look bored down there on the pitch. 

I digress.

Middlesborough...their form hasn't been brilliant - though they are still nicking the odd wins. Something we seem to be struggling to do. 

On the face of it this could be one of the dullest games of the season... but this being Wednesday, they might throw up a classic. We can but hope.

The frsutrating thing looking at our last 6 form stats is how many of those games were a actually there for the taking, and yes, I would include Wolves in that. It's the frustration that kills you really. 

I didn't really want to mention the Wolves game, especially as I am still completely perplexed as to how Ryan Bennett stayed on the pitch and the boy Fox got sent off for a second yellow which must be one of the softest cards in the history of the game. I'd still swear blind he didn't touch him!

Big Nuhius favourite team to play against it seems. Will the bigman get a start which I think over his last 3 or 4 displays he's probably deserved?

No he won't.  I think he should. What message does it send to the players when they come on, do well and still can't get a start.

The other eye catching thing is that our Sam is set to start! Woo hoo! 

I love Sam. I know some think he's a liability in midfield. But God damn it I like to see someone stick a foot in. Bash folks about a bit. There's not nearly enough of it in this team. And I for one am glad he's in. 

samowl_jpg_90bb81d4eeb186f85fc193110a6d50e4.jpg.830f4d8962194c077e19b3f5a0deaf49.jpg

Of course we have to wonder what condition he'll be in and how long he will last. 

The other thing of course is what role he plays..will Carlos play him as the anchor man in a 5 man midfield as we switch to a 3-5-2?

Well. No of course. And I haven't even been on the Sherry yet.

Will he be protected in there after so long out by having two others slightly advanced of him?

Hmmm. Probably not. 

But....there is a chance (I think) that we will at least match up Boros 4-2-3-1

No automatic alt text available.

We started it against Wolves. And though it's a moot point, I did think we looked a bit better for it. Not a lot, admittedly, but a bit. And at the moment, I'll take a bit.

The first half, I thought we actually did very well in and didn't look under too much pressure. Jones I thought had his best game as part of a defensive two. 

Ok, we go a goal down and it's game over. But that's another tale. 

I think there is a chance that Sam and Jones might start and Hooper (who it must be said it's looking an angry and frustrated figure recently) given a free role. 

I hope we do stick with it. I know it doesn't suit Jordan who we know is better in a two with a big man like Novac at Hudds and Gestede at Blackburn (will he ever start a League game with Big Adhte and be given a chance? No. But I can dream.

Yes. I hope we stick with the system because with Sam and Jones both in then it might for the first time proper this season let Reach and Wallace really play much more advanced and on the actual wings a bit!

In fact it could be argued that if we do stick with the system then Matias might actually become useful again as this was the system we clearly wanted to play when we signed the poor sod before we became boro/Burnley lite. 

Come on Wednesday, lets finish the year in style and win these next three games and go into the new year with 9 points, the gap closing and plenty of cheer to look forward to in the New Year.

Also there is this. 

It means nothing to me really. But some folks like this sort of thing.

Not much Between the sides physically. Though of cause physicality is as much about attitude as it is your actual build, weight etc etc

Which is why I want to see a Super Sam blockbuster in the first 5 minutes. Let them know we mean business (*as long as he doesn't hurt himself)

Chin chin!

UP THE OWLS!

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 4

Top stuff Mi Lud

Glad Stubbs is looking out for you and hope you have some festive cheer

Maybe you could get one of the scullery girls down for a glass of St Emilion Grand Cru and a little scuttling of your own?

Edited by 33
Yopt

Come on Wednesday! And come on Wednesday fans, we need the defiant, rollicking, timeless support that makes our club great. The players, the managers, the owners

come and go, but we're here forever and we should let everyone hear it. I wish I could be there 'cos I feel like roaring out our great name 'WEDNESDAY'.

• Like 2

Thank God you survived the campervan ordeal, Snoots!

The nights must have been a terrible ordeal these last couple of weeks.

I'm not optimistic as I have just woken from a dream in which Dr Gilespie (of "Dr Kildare" fame) grimly informed me that:

a) he is a Wednesdayite and 

b) we had lost 2 - 0

Not good news. Although Dr Gilespie being a Wednesdayite is quite heartening. Ijust  hope that Dr Kildare has the same allegiance!

Editor's question: Are there any other fictional characters from 1960s TV shows that you would like to see cheering wildly for Wednesday at Hillsborough this afternoon?

A merry Christmas to all our readers

Edited by VictoryBell

A very Happy Christmas to all my Owlstalk chums. I hope you all get what you want on Monday morning....maybe old Snoots will surprise the lady of the house by sneaking up the back passage. (Oooooooh Matron)

Not gonna mention the game today. I am painting fences and its so much more fun to watch paint dry than following Wednesday these days..........How is that man still in a job? we must be only team in the leagues scared to sack a manager and take a chance on some new blood. The window opens in a week and at this rate I can only see a few outs and no ins. Who wants to sign for a manager for half a season.

Any road up......stay sober........be happy................. and enjoy your families this Christmas.

Guest Bulgaria

Can see the same as Wolves game, plenty of huff and puff but nothing to show for it. I see no other reason to think otherwise.

Unless he plays Rhodes up top with Atty, with Hooper in behind.

It will be Hooper and Fletcher/Rhodes.

Same old same old.

0-1.

And yes i am grumpy this morning, got snow and ice everywhere and my missus has fallen out with me meaning it looks like a lonely Christmas for me.

Bah Humbug.