Winnall

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Understandably fans are looking everywhere for the answer to our troubles. Joao, Nuhiu and now Winnall are all getting a better and better reputation as our season tumbles.

But Winnall couldn't hold down a place, had a poor scoring record for us, and now can't get a kick at Derby. No idea if he has personality issues, but for me he was never a good Championship team striker.

winnall has scored more goals at derby this season than all our strikers bar hooper this season and he has only had a limited amount of minutes on the pitch for derby.and at Barnsley he was the 3rd highest scorer in league football over last 2 years ,its what carlos does to players and strikers whats the problem,its called getting the ball forward quicker and having crosses coming in from byline .

Guest Copthorneowl
28 minutes ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I have a friend who works in the offices at Barnsley - and before our game there last season (that he scored in) Winnall was in the offices bad mouthing our team and Carlos

Seems to me that he's not only a poor player he's a poor bloke as well. 

8 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

winnall has scored more goals at derby this season than all our strikers bar hooper this season and he has only had a limited amount of minutes on the pitch for derby.and at Barnsley he was the 3rd highest scorer in league football over last 2 years ,its what carlos does to players and strikers whats the problem,its called getting the ball forward quicker and having crosses coming in from byline .

Your closing comment is important. Bear in mind the service the Derby forwards get. They have scored 35 this season compared to our 26. 

We already have Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri and Joao... under a more attacking minded coach this list of forwards would be the envy of most clubs in this division.

We don’t need Sam Winnall.

Personally I think he could be a way of us getting around FFP, he would fetch £3m in today’s market so I would sell him to strengthen in other areas where we are particularly weak such as centre back or left back.

That’d also be a nice £2.5m profit on him, not bad business.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

We already have Rhodes, Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri and Joao... under a more attacking minded coach this list of forwards would be the envy of most clubs in this division.

We don’t need Sam Winnall.

Personally I think he could be a way of us getting around FFP, he would fetch £3m in today’s market so I would sell him to strengthen in other areas where we are particularly weak such as centre back or left back.

That’d also be a nice £2.5m profit on him, not bad business.

only reason we would make a profit is cause Barnsley slipped up not giving there players contracts must have cost them 10 million plus in lost transfer fees. in todays market you cant buy a striker what can score regularly at championship/league 1 level for 3million . id be wanting double that. 

We really need only four striker to fill the two CF positions. We have six, and they are effectively the same in two groups - Winnall, Rhodes and Hooper are link players and good finishes in the box. Joao, Nuihi, and Fletcher are target men who do a bit of running.

We need to sell one of each, and get a different type of forward in - another FF but more pace.

18 hours ago, Copthorneowl said:

If true can't argue with those stats but will stick to my firmly held view that he lacks skill. OK in a Barnsley team playing old fashioned football where heading it into the net is how they set up, but like Rhodes in most sides now he won't fit in.

Watched him closely with us couldn't hold difficult balls up couldn't play one twos at pace and frankly felt he was out of his depth in our quick passing type of game.

Who do you support?

1 hour ago, Hillsborough Mole said:

I have a friend who works in the offices at Barnsley - and before our game there last season (that he scored in) Winnall was in the offices bad mouthing our team and Carlos

He would fit in on here then - for all the doubters he is one of us.

Edited by Andrew6666
  • Haha 2

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, stanningtonowl said:

Who do you support?

Either grow up or debate why Winall is better than I think if you can't don't bother replying.

2 hours ago, Animis said:

We really need only four striker to fill the two CF positions. We have six, and they are effectively the same in two groups - Winnall, Rhodes and Hooper are link players and good finishes in the box. Joao, Nuihi, and Fletcher are target men who do a bit of running.

We need to sell one of each, and get a different type of forward in - another FF but more pace.

For me only Hooper is effective as a link player, Rhodes is too slow and lacks strength to be effective for us outside the penalty area and at times Winnall's first touch was woeful and his passing inconsistent to say the least.

Despite this both are capable finishers inside the penalty area when provided with service - so almost completely ineffectual with the way we have been playing. 4-4-2 with 'wide' midfielders who play inside and full backs who don't get to the byline but cross from deep so are reliant on height and physical strength to challenge for their crosses in the box rather than quick movement or instinct.

11 hours ago, Copthorneowl said:

Agree with all you say but Rhodes has been poor despite his odd goal if you don't think so then we're miles apart. We should be judging Rhodes on today's Rhodes not what he's done over the years and whilst I agree the way we play makes strikers look poor he's simply failed to deliver or look remotely like delivering.fact ...imo. 

I also agree greed with your comments on Carlos.

I'm not saying Rhodes has been great, but he's feeding off scraps. When he's in front of goal he's amazing. Villa and Norwich's finishes prove that. Unfortunately Carlos isn't prepared to do what we need to do to provide him chances.

Not many will agree, but I'd start Dave and have Rhodes up with him. Hooper just behind. Play three at the back. Fletcher doesn't offer much.

13 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

I'm not saying Rhodes has been great, but he's feeding off scraps. When he's in front of goal he's amazing. Villa and Norwich's finishes prove that. Unfortunately Carlos isn't prepared to do what we need to do to provide him chances.

Not many will agree, but I'd start Dave and have Rhodes up with him. Hooper just behind. Play three at the back. Fletcher doesn't offer much.

The problem with posts like this is that they ignore the boatload of sitters he's missed.

I do agree with the last part though. Hooper, FF and Nuhiu would be my way forward from here. 

Without FF it would be Rhodes.

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Theres a lot in what you say Crosby but I can't help but think we need more movement up front Dave and JR are both unable to shake off close attention and lack any decent pace  I wholly agree  Rhodes is feeding off scraps but sadly they all are down to Carlos's way of setting up. Personally want to see Hooper higher up the pitch and think our best option would be with him and Fletch with Nando wider but it's not gonna happen any time soon.

I'm afraid I've kinda lost faith in Rhodes he seems unable to get away from defenders and isn't putting good chances away anymore.

On 16/12/2017 at 16:11, Copthorneowl said:

Yes ....once..... I'm well aware of you're love of JR and I'm afraid that it's looking very much that his best days are pretty much behind him I certainly believe they are.  He certainly won't ever be successful in our way of playing, imo of course.

To be fair none of our players are successful in our current way of playing