Player ratings

Wildsmith 6 not much to do simply doesn't have Westwoods presence yet               - agreed

palmer 7 good game no support at all                                    - agreed, but he still doesn't bust a gut to get back. 

fox 4 poor seems to lack confidence and drive                           - agreed

loovens 7 decent game still to slow in possession                           - thought he as excellent tonight and worth an 8. 

van aken 7 improving with games like to see him play with Fred one niggle and it's not his fault his best asset long passes aren't being used as he has no one to aim for -                 a 6 for me, he just isn't that good at defending, but did some decent things tonight. I'd like to see him tried in  back 3.

butterfield 5 no positivity                - 6 for me, ok first half, but he is nothing special and rarely gets in the box at either end.  Aside from Villa and Birmingham, he's been average.

jones 8 Mom for me actually looked forward used ball well                     - agreed, think it was one of his best games for us, though I would add that he's just not good enough anymore for a team aiming for top 2.

reach 6 played well second half anonymous first                - agreed, works hard, but flatters to deceive. 

wallace 3 waste of a shirt                                             - agreed, very poor tonight.  He needs real competition for his shirt and for me should be starting less than 50% of matches.

hooper 5 hardly involved playing too deep                        - agreed, he seems to be coming deeper and deeper to try to get us going.

rhodes 5 too weak too slow if he doesn't score he offers nothing and he won't score enough in our present state             -   agreed

nuihu 6 lifted the crowd always gives is all                                           - agreed

jaoa 5 should have scored made one good run but so careless at times what has happened to the potential world beater he looked when he first came             - agreed

overall we tried and looked as good as wolves but we have no spark the playoffs have all but gone so on the assumption Carlos will go if we don't go up surely it would be better to give a new manager the rest of the season to prepare and assess for next season  -  agreed

4 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

Wildsmith- 6- nothing to do. Could he have done better with the goal? Dunno. Too slow to get rid of ball sometimes.

Palmer -6 gets a 6 for effort. He worked hard but he isn't good enough. If he's the best our youth set up can produce. It's very worrying. Played too many floaty balls that offered no thread and constantly tried to take on the full back that was much faster than him. 

Van aken - 6 - did well against a tough side. Although made one huge mistake and his dad had to bail him out.

Loovens- 7- never troubled really. Steady away against a very good attacking team.  

Fox - 3 - stupid red card. But worked hard. His delivery is terrible though. We can do so much better. Another week signing. 

Wallace - 1- worst ever game for us. Everything he did was either poor or lazy or both. How He managed 90 minutes I'll never know. Woeful performance. But has been terrible all season. Over the hill. Needs moving on to a league 1 side. 

Jones- 6- joe average as per. Ticked along but hardly ran the midfield. 

Butterfield-5- another medicore performance. Where's these long shot drives we were promised? An eye for a goal. Pah. Couple of nice corners.

Reach- 5- worked hard as per. But usual issues. He's not fast. He can't pass. He can't shoot. He can't cross. He can't take a man on. He's super fit other than that he's very poor for 5 million pounds. 

Rhodes - 3- offered less than nothing. Turned out to be a shocking signing. Has had plenty of game time now to prove himself and hasn't. 

Slow, weak and lazy.

Over the hill? Probably. Huge mistake.

Hooper 5- tried his best but came too deep too often. His ability is head and shoulders above his team mates. Deserves to play in a better side. 

Subs Many 

Joao - 1 - did nothing except lose the ball. His decision making is shambolic. 

Nuhiu- 6 - lacks quality but has bags of fight. Again did more in 20 mins than Rhodes did all game. Probably should start against Boro ( are things really that bad) 

Carlos - 2 - another tactical horror show. Whilst I accept he has plenty missing. He also has a huge squad that cost millions. Reach and Wallace playing CM? Whilst abdi sits on bench earning 30k a week? Joao on the wing whilst mattias sits on bench earning 20k a week? 

Shambles. How He still has a job is beyond me. 

We will be 13 points adrift next week. 

We're done this season. Time to move Carlos on. Take our time getting a new guy in. Try to get rid of some of the failed signings and change the squad. 

Then spend the rest of the season gellingthem for next season. 

Maybe they won't fail under better management. Many not played to their strengths I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

Wildsmith- 6- nothing to do. Could he have done better with the goal? Dunno. Too slow to get rid of ball sometimes.

Palmer -6 gets a 6 for effort. He worked hard but he isn't good enough. If he's the best our youth set up can produce. It's very worrying. Played too many floaty balls that offered no thread and constantly tried to take on the full back that was much faster than him. 

Van aken - 6 - did well against a tough side. Although made one huge mistake and his dad had to bail him out.

Loovens- 7- never troubled really. Steady away against a very good attacking team.  

Fox - 3 - stupid red card. But worked hard. His delivery is terrible though. We can do so much better. Another week signing. 

Wallace - 1- worst ever game for us. Everything he did was either poor or lazy or both. How He managed 90 minutes I'll never know. Woeful performance. But has been terrible all season. Over the hill. Needs moving on to a league 1 side. 

Butterfield-5- another medicore performance. Where's these long shot drives we were promised? An eye for a goal. Pah. Couple of nice corners.

Reach- 5- worked hard as per. But usual issues. He's not fast. He can't pass. He can't shoot. He can't cross. He can't take a man on. He's super fit other than that he's very poor for 5 million pounds. 

Rhodes - 3- offered less than nothing. Turned out to be a shocking signing. Has had plenty of game time now to prove himself and hasn't. 

Slow, weak and lazy.

Hooper 5- tried his best but came too deep too often. His ability is head and shoulders above his team mates. Deserves to play in a better side. 

Subs 

Nuhiu- 6 - lacks quality but has bags of fight. Again did more in 20 mins than Rhodes did all game. Probably should start against Boro ( are things really that bad) 

Carlos - 2 - another tactical horror show. Whilst I accept he has plenty missing. He also has a huge squad that cost millions. Reach and Wallace playing CM? Whilst abdi sits on bench earning 30k a week? Joao on the wing whilst mattias sits on bench earning 20k a week? 

We're done this season. Time to move Carlos on. Take our time getting a new guy in. Try to get rid of some of the failed signings and change the squad. 

Pretty much agree tho any strikers would struggle with our wingerless midfield, with no pace, width, crosses or creativity.

Also playing wallace in middle and hooper right was puzzling, especially when it was persevered with despite offering zero.

After a new manager we need a lb and right winger urgently and if lee, abdi n hutch are finished a cm or 2.

Some serious wheeling and dealing is needed but moving overpaid old/crocked players on just wont happen 

Very negative set up with 2 holding midfielders and two full backs not wingbacks so very little creativity. Example was when Hooper knocked the header back across goal, no midfielders supporting.

Keep hoping Carlos will pull a rabbit out of the hat and surprise us with some tactical  nouse 

Actualy a better performance than against Wolves 12 months ago, but still nil creativity.

Scores

Wildsmith.  6.  Not sure he could have done much with the shot, perhaps his starting position wasn't central enough.

Palmer 6     Not bad defensively but no way can he provide the ammo for the strikers going forward. His delivery was poor.

Fox.   4. Poor The player got round him far to easy when he got his second booking. It had been coming.

Loovens 7. I thought Loovens was OK.  Marshalled the back line well.

Van Aken 5. Don't see a central defender in him, goes to ground far to often but got away with it tonite.

Wallace. 5. His normally decent delivery really deserted him tonite

Butterfield. 5 offered nothing going forward.

Jones 6 Better offensively than Butterfield but hardly creative.

Reach 6. Covers a lot of ground, I can't work out if he is central midfield or wide left.

Hooper 5 A fan of Hooper but it does him no favours playing alongside Rhodes. Looked brassed off.

Rhodes  5  Not really involved, nothing to work with. Suprised he went off went Nuhiu came on as that combo may work.

Subs

Predictable

Thought he should have left Rhodes and Hooper on to try and sneak a goal when Nuhiu came on.

Some unbelievable ratings on here.

Jones below a 6? Seriously? 

Van Aken played alright and made some crucial interceptions

Reach played well, a lot more positive when he received the ball trying to attack players, with a couple of decent crosses too

Palmer had a good game and caused them trouble down the wing. 

As a team, we played with more positivism tonight looking for the forward passes rather than backwards. Much better. Yes we didn't create any real clear cut chances but a fair bit is down to poor decision making at times

Only players who should be receiving criticism is Fox and Wallace who both were ineffective all game, Fox especially who looked scared every time he got the ball in their half and got run ragged.

Rhodes will get criticism and yes at times he should be stronger, but we don't play to his strengths. How many times did we even get the ball to him in the box?

All in all, we kept the league leaders pretty quiet. The majority of chances came when we switched things around to try go for it. Up to that point it was all us pretty much, even up to their goal

Wildsmith - 6 - Had nothing to do, except pick the ball out of the net. Which says a lot about our defensive display.

Palmer - 7 - Thought he did alright last night. Little trouble came down Wolves left flank, and although, yet again, his crossing was awful, he was a outlet down the right flank.

Loovens - 7 - Steady display. Made some crucial, timely interceptions when Wolves could've been in on goal. 

Van Aken - 7 - Very good display. Dominant in the air up against Bonatini. Still partial to the odd clanger, the baffling missed header at the end of the 1st half a case in point.

Fox - 5 - I still think there's a decent player in Fox, but I thought he got exposed in the 2nd half (as a result of Reach's roaming). However, he was a red card waiting to happen after the first booking, and should've been substituted. His crossing is better than Palmer's (but still not great), and he put a couple of really promising balls into the box, which weren't capitalised on. Very poor defending for his 2nd yellow card though.

Jones - 8 - Man of the Match - Really good performance from Jones last night. Thought he was impressive at Norwich before getting substituted, and continued last night. Broke things up, picked up a lot of loose balls, and used the ball well.

Butterfield - 7 - Similar to Jones, another steady performance. This pairing isn't a problem for us...it's the lack of drive and creativity from our four attacking players that are stifling us at present.

Wallace - 3 - Awful. Looks off the pace, devoid of any flair or trickery. Not shooting or crossing with purpose. Desperately needs replacing, or at the very least, some competition in the squad. 

Reach - 4 - Another insipid performance. When playing with two deep central midfielders, your attacking midfielders and forwards need to probe and try and make things happen. Reach didn't/doesn't. Too samey. Too safe. Dreadful effort with our only chance of the game.

Hooper - 5 - Still, despite a pretty poor display, our classiest player, and the only player currently, who could play at the next level. As the season goes on, he looks more and more frustrated. Suffered particularly in the 2nd half, when we went direct. 

Rhodes - 4 - Yet another appearance where I, sat two thirds up the North Stand, had as much an impact on the game than Rhodes did. A passenger yet again. Feeding off scraps, granted...but his link up play at non-existent. Doesn't occupy defenders well enough, doesn't run in behind, doesn't press and harry, doesn't bully. He's a poacher, and under Carlos and in this current system, he's as much use as a chocolate fire guard. When/if Carlos goes, I fully expect him to look a completely different player, until then, he might as well come and sit in the North Stand with me. 

Overall, defensively we were pretty sound, aside from the last 10 minutes, when we were hopelessly exposed and continually picked off by a very direct, and talented Wolves attack. Stopped Wolves playing their game...but c'mon, this isn't Sheffield Wednesday under Stuart Gray. We had £13m worth of strikers on the pitch, a £5m winger and a £4m centre half. EIGHT of the players in the starting line up, were Carlos signings, during a time where we've spent more money than we ever have had before. No matter who we are playing, ONE shot on target isn't good enough. There's no dressing it up. The players have no idea how to break teams down. It was another boring display.

And also, the substitutions tonight, utterly bizarre. Fair enough, Rhodes deserved to get dragged...he was awful. But we had two players, Wallace and Reach, who were abysmal. Yet we take off a player who was performing an important role in ensuring we camped in Wolves half, and then move both wide players into central areas. Surprise surprise, from that moment on, we created nothing, and Wolves just picked us off time and time again. And then to compound it further, we had Fox, who was clearly walking a tightrope...it made perfect sense to take him off, put Reach to left back (give us more attacking options down that flank as a result), and bring on either Abdi to play centrally and dictate things like Butterfield had done or Matias to stretch play and give us some directness and running from wide areas...but no, sleep walk through the rest of the game and watch Fox get the red card that everybody in the ground saw coming. 

It's starting to remind me of the season under Irvine with the performances and repetition of the same players, same substitutions, same flaws week in week out. That season we sleep walked to relegation, this season we're sleep walking away from the playoffs (and if this continues, that drop zone could soon become a real concern.) 

14 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Wildsmith. 7. Kicked well and solid

Palmer. 7. Battled throughout

Fox. 4. Very poor defensively and going forward 

Loovens 8. Great performance

Van Aken 8. Ditto. Was terrific against very good players

Jones 4. Offers absolutely nothing ????

Butterfield 5.  Good first 20 then faded

Reach 6. Got up and down but final ball and shot lacked quality

Wallace 3. Completely shot

Hooper 5. Losing form 

Rhodes 5. Battled but lack of pace means easy to defend against

subs

Joao 5. 

Dave 5

Did you go to the game last night?.

Jones was the best player for us, followed by Palmer.

The worst player was Fox, followed very closely by Hooper who, once again, went AWOL.

As much as dislike Joao, I would have him starting up front instead of Hooper next game.

36 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 6 - Had nothing to do, except pick the ball out of the net. Which says a lot about our defensive display.

Palmer - 7 - Thought he did alright last night. Little trouble came down Wolves left flank, and although, yet again, his crossing was awful, he was a outlet down the right flank.

Loovens - 7 - Steady display. Made some crucial, timely interceptions when Wolves could've been in on goal. 

Van Aken - 7 - Very good display. Dominant in the air up against Bonatini. Still partial to the odd clanger, the baffling missed header at the end of the 1st half a case in point.

Fox - 5 - I still think there's a decent player in Fox, but I thought he got exposed in the 2nd half (as a result of Reach's roaming). However, he was a red card waiting to happen after the first booking, and should've been substituted. His crossing is better than Palmer's (but still not great), and he put a couple of really promising balls into the box, which weren't capitalised on. Very poor defending for his 2nd yellow card though.

Jones - 8 - Man of the Match - Really good performance from Jones last night. Thought he was impressive at Norwich before getting substituted, and continued last night. Broke things up, picked up a lot of loose balls, and used the ball well.

Butterfield - 7 - Similar to Jones, another steady performance. This pairing isn't a problem for us...it's the lack of drive and creativity from our four attacking players that are stifling us at present.

Wallace - 3 - Awful. Looks off the pace, devoid of any flair or trickery. Not shooting or crossing with purpose. Desperately needs replacing, or at the very least, some competition in the squad. 

Reach - 4 - Another insipid performance. When playing with two deep central midfielders, your attacking midfielders and forwards need to probe and try and make things happen. Reach didn't/doesn't. Too samey. Too safe. Dreadful effort with our only chance of the game.

Hooper - 5 - Still, despite a pretty poor display, our classiest player, and the only player currently, who could play at the next level. As the season goes on, he looks more and more frustrated. Suffered particularly in the 2nd half, when we went direct. 

Rhodes - 4 - Yet another appearance where I, sat two thirds up the North Stand, had as much an impact on the game than Rhodes did. A passenger yet again. Feeding off scraps, granted...but his link up play at non-existent. Doesn't occupy defenders well enough, doesn't run in behind, doesn't press and harry, doesn't bully. He's a poacher, and under Carlos and in this current system, he's as much use as a chocolate fire guard. When/if Carlos goes, I fully expect him to look a completely different player, until then, he might as well come and sit in the North Stand with me. 

Overall, defensively we were pretty sound, aside from the last 10 minutes, when we were hopelessly exposed and continually picked off by a very direct, and talented Wolves attack. Stopped Wolves playing their game...but c'mon, this isn't Sheffield Wednesday under Stuart Gray. We had £13m worth of strikers on the pitch, a £5m winger and a £4m centre half. EIGHT of the players in the starting line up, were Carlos signings, during a time where we've spent more money than we ever have had before. No matter who we are playing, ONE shot on target isn't good enough. There's no dressing it up. The players have no idea how to break teams down. It was another boring display.

And also, the substitutions tonight, utterly bizarre. Fair enough, Rhodes deserved to get dragged...he was awful. But we had two players, Wallace and Reach, who were abysmal. Yet we take off a player who was performing an important role in ensuring we camped in Wolves half, and then move both wide players into central areas. Surprise surprise, from that moment on, we created nothing, and Wolves just picked us off time and time again. And then to compound it further, we had Fox, who was clearly walking a tightrope...it made perfect sense to take him off, put Reach to left back (give us more attacking options down that flank as a result), and bring on either Abdi to play centrally and dictate things like Butterfield had done or Matias to stretch play and give us some directness and running from wide areas...but no, sleep walk through the rest of the game and watch Fox get the red card that everybody in the ground saw coming. 

It's starting to remind me of the season under Irvine with the performances and repetition of the same players, same substitutions, same flaws week in week out. That season we sleep walked to relegation, this season we're sleep walking away from the playoffs (and if this continues, that drop zone could soon become a real concern.) 

Agree with your summing up. We've spent a fortune but our 'best' team is still the old favourites from season one 

Guest RocketOwl
14 hours ago, Kenners3896 said:

Slow, weak and lazy.

Subs 

Don't speak of I'll of dear Jordan. He's scored loads of goals in this league you know and it's service that is the issue. Ignore his lack of pace strength and footballing ability and focus on the past please