Form a battle square!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

You only form square against cavalry in which case it is extremely effective. Do it against infantry and you are well and truly screwed. Are Wolves turning up tomorrow on horseback or on foot? What des the scouting party say? Have we got the skirmishers out or have they already skedaddled?

Pincer movement on Pond Street anybody?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Bloody hell its the Duke of wellington!

Yes..form squares for cavalry charges I think..Lines for artillery...

I was expecting a cavalry charge....but I also formed me square on the reverse slope...cos of artillery...............

No I'm not the Duke, i'm just gulty of watching too many episodes of Sharpe after recovering from a knee injury a few years back! As a result i would advise that if you are going to gather owlstalkers together to defend Carlos then you should expect plenty of artillery. 

5 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

So now it all becomes clear, the reason Carlos and we are struggling is because we've been using the square as a formation. As it doesn't work against modern era formations or tactics maybe we could go all Alexander and try his hammer and anvil tactic, or his mousetrap strategy for dealing with chariots, which modena military strategists still use a variation of today. 

Carlos is still back in the lines of Torres Vedres afraid to advance for fear of being caught in an exposed position!

6 minutes ago, clud17 said:

No I'm not the Duke, i'm just gulty of watching too many episodes of Sharpe after recovering from a knee injury a few years back! As a result i would advise that if you are going to gather owlstalkers together to defend Carlos then you should expect plenty of artillery. 

Me plan was just to march from side to side

ala Westwood to Lees to Loovens to Westwood

Til the French got tired lol

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Carlos is still back in the lines of Torres Vedres afraid to advance for fear of being caught in an exposed position!

Yea but

the lines of Torres Vedras held after a lengthy retreat didn't they?

like say this season is Wellington retreating to Torres Vedras

next season is the advance through Spain and ultimately to Paris !!!

just sayin'

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Yea but

the lines of Torres Vedras held after a lengthy retreat didn't they?

like say this season is Wellington retreating to Torres Vedras

next season is the advance through Spain and ultimately to Paris !!!

just sayin'

We only got as far as Toulouse. It was the Austrians, Prussians and Ruskies that marched into Paris in 1814.

5 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

To lose !!!!!

flippingtypical Wednesday !

Touche mon amis!

Incidentally my 3x Great Grandad Edward Long was in that. 3rd Regiment of Foot (the Buffs) served the entire Peninsular War then got posted to Canada and finished up in Ireland. Did 25 years in the army and became a Chelsea Pensioner. Fascinating what a bit of Family History research can turn up!

Edited by Utah Owl

46 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

So now it all becomes clear, the reason Carlos and we are struggling is because we've been using the square as a formation. As it doesn't work against modern era formations or tactics maybe we could go all Alexander and try his hammer and anvil tactic, or his mousetrap strategy for dealing with chariots, which modena military strategists still use a variation of today. 

Finally! Some sense.

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Just had a reyt tea.

Party tea that Mrs C is trying out before her (screaming hags) friends come round on Saturday.

It's all stuff from the supermarket like 800 ways to do duck and what not.

Warmed in the oven it was spot on with a middle of the road chilled swiller.

FFS.

I had bloody rollover hotdogs again.

At the cinema though took my boy to Star wars not a football in sight.

2 for a fiver though.

Cried at Norwich paid £9 for 2 hotdogs outside the ground.

£3.50 each the rollovers inside.

FFS.