Wolves Game tactics

Seen Wolves a couple of times this season they seem to play a flexible 4-3-3, keep the ball, pace on the wings and keep control of the midfield and possession. With them flying at the top of the league and us in such poor form, should we adjust our game and pack the midfield and put Wallace and Reach on either wing with Hooper up top and just try and match up? Or should we play our normal game and try and out play them? In short how would you set up to take on a team that is flying and plays a different system to us?

For me I would go 3 in centre midfield and put Wallace and Reach on the wings, try and nullify the threat and then play from there. What do you think?

1 minute ago, ramone said:

Wolves have played with an interchangeable 3 at the system all season... 

Yes, they play an interchangeable system which can go 3-4-3 and into different formations for different situations. I'm asking what tactics would you do. I would stack up the midfield area to try and nullify.

They play 3-4-3 which is the same formation as Chelsea

Neves and Saiss in central midfield. They are likely to have Jota and Cavaleiro in attacking wide positions supporting Bonatini - they are good. Theyve definitely being the stand out team this season.

Its interesting in that we will be facing a team who will play 2 in the middle of the park. We have done well against teams who play only 2 in the middle - Villa being an example. We do struggle against teams with 3 in the middle.

Loovens is a worry at the back as he may be done for pace in this game. He reads the game well tho.

This is a game that I wouldn’t change tactics - go with 4-4-2. I expect Baz to have a good game here as he is playing against a team with 2 in the middle.

I expect us to get at least a point in this game.

Just now, tarn owl said:

Yes, they play an interchangeable system which can go 3-4-3 and into different formations for different situations. I'm asking what tactics would you do. I would stack up the midfield area to try and nullify.

I'd match them up pal... I think our players are suited to a 3 at back system. Much in the way theirs are. 

Do i think we'll see it, nope.

Games are won and lost in the middle of the park and if we got with any combination of 2 from our available midfielders we'll get trounced and we'll be chasing shadows all night

1 minute ago, ramone said:

I'd match them up pal... I think our players are suited to a 3 at back system. Much in the way theirs are. 

Do i think we'll see it, nope.

Games are won and lost in the middle of the park and if we got with any combination of 2 from our available midfielders we'll get trounced and we'll be chasing shadows all night

Agreed, I don't think our 2 midfielders will cope well when their centre half come striding forward with the ball and create space for their other playmakers. While Lees is out I think play Lee, Bannan and Butterfield and have them harass Wolves on the ball.

We can all dream of what we'd like to be the formation.

Let's face it though...it's 4-4-2 and we all know it.

Play to frustrate first half and then play to nick a goal second (resulting in the inevitable loss to the best attacking side in the league).

Edited by OwlofOliveGrove

2 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Agreed, I don't think our 2 midfielders will cope well when their centre half come striding forward with the ball and create space for their other playmakers. While Lees is out I think play Lee, Bannan and Butterfield and have them harass Wolves on the ball.

I'd like us to go out there and NOT worry about them. 

I'd love us to take the option of making them worry about us. Not so sure we'll see that though.

What will be interesting to see though over the next 2 games is how we fair. At the start of season we were supposed to be rivals to these 2 for the autos. So it will be a really interesting yardstick as to where we are and how far off we are... These were supposed to be our equals. We need to prove that we can sit at the top table this year. It starts by winning on Friday.

We can all dream hey

The Wolves system is great if you have pacy players.

The  two wide front men have to be pacy , like Hazard and Pedro at Chelsea, and this allows them to drop into midfield and get to run at the defence. So although it appears they should only have two in midfield these players drop in and they will outnumber us in there.

Wolves basically are a team built to counter attack at pace and that gives Carlos a problem. He is very good at setting up to stop footballing teams playing while we try and nick a goal. Of course this depends on the back four not making mistakes.

However he is under pressure to be more attacking but I think if we try and attack Wolves we will get stuffed. 

Tactics :

Bore everyone rigid with pointless sideways/backwards possession to give the opposition increased confidence. 

Concede

Try and chase the game and put 17 useless League 2 strikers on

Equalize

Bore everyone rigid with pointless sideways/backwards possession to give the opposition increased confidence again. 

Concede again

Collapse

Concede again

Blame ref, claim penalty, talk general utter rounduns 

Repeat at next fixture