What is Sheffield Wednesday?

Off the back of a previous topic I found myself writing about Wednesday as a ideological entity that cannot be owned, bought or sold. 

Yes I appreciate that DC owns the football clubs physical assets and the rights to play in the championship but does he own us. We are the people who generate the interest, finance and keep the whole idea of Sheffield Wednesday alive surely we have a say in what our club looks like and acts like.

The decisions that have been taken since the arrival of DC that undermine our history and ethos go against his role as the temporary custodian of the physical club.

Guess what I'm asking is, what is SWFC and what right does DC have to trample on our heritage and turn us in to Thailand FC.

For those who say it’s his club and he can do what he wants how would you feel if upon our wonderful return to the premiership DC decided to take the club away from Sheffield to effectively do a MK dons. Is that allowed?

4 minutes ago, ramone said:

You dont seriously think this do you? 

I’m asking the question, I don’t know what to believe atm. 

Something around the club doesn’t feel right and it’s not just the football on the pitch.

If he gives us Stripes made by Puma next year and reduces ticket prices to championship average will that make everyone happy? I would offer the club badge going back to previous design but considering the new badge is now hovering over the front door I don't think that is changing anytime soon. Apart from those I can't see a Thailand FC anytime soon.

Just now, tripod said:

I’m asking the question, I don’t know what to believe atm. 

Something around the club doesn’t feel right and it’s not just the football on the pitch.

Sorry, must have mis-interpreted your post. 

I get the same feelings pal. I think its just something as simple as there being a lack of confidence. Football is a confidence game, we all know that. I dont buy all this clamour about things being a shambles off the pitch. You can bet your bottom dollar that if we were currently sitting 4th in the  league no one would be batting an eyelid about what the chairman was doing.

Everything is heightened because of poor results on the pitch.  

1 hour ago, Muffinman said:

intangible things always suffer in a comparison with things that can be quantified. The trees at endcliff have a monetary value, in timber, and a cost in maintenance but how to price the aesthetic and ambient effect? While DC owns the bricks and mortar, the players the media and naming rights they will always outweigh history and tradition, but don't forget history and tradition are being made as we speak. The cultivated landscape we now seek to preserve wasn't always thus, strip farming and before that wilderness ruled.  If weds are in the premiership in a few years all will be forgiven, people will talk of the lucky thin stripes, of the strong commercial base etc etc. If the opposite happens and we go into decline maybe the opposite will hold. Weds to  me means my personal history and memories entwined at times with the club. No one can take that away or erode the memories. People don't like change. Evolution rather than revolution.

Too right mate excellent post .

DC owns the club. In effect he can make any decision he likes. As fans we support the club.

If DC does something we take exception to we can moan, grumble or have a hissy fit on Owlstalk. DC can ignore us completely.

If we feel strongly enough we can decide not to turn up to games, not buy replica shirts and merchandise, in effect withdraw our support. DC can ignore us up to a point.

In effect the more people that withdraw their support the more expensive it becomes for DC to run the club. With FFP he can only invest a limited amount, without income from tickets/catering/merchandise the club wouldn't be able to buy players or pay big wages. Potentially a death spiral could occur with the club dropping down to the pub league.

The above is theoretical, in effect not all fans would stop buying shirts or going to games. It depends how stubborn/determined DC is to have his own way and face the fans down.

Personally I like DC, he seems like a good man, he's invested in the club, he's tried to do the best he can for us. We could have done much worse.

I can understand fans being upset about the strip but it's not a deal breaker for me. I can understand the complaints about ticket pricing, I can understand and agree about the turgid football, I can agree with the dismay about our league position. I'm not gloriously happy but I still support the club. 

Maybe next year.

(I just wish we could sort out recruitment)

6 hours ago, tripod said:

Off the back of a previous topic I found myself writing about Wednesday as a ideological entity that cannot be owned, bought or sold. 

Yes I appreciate that DC owns the football clubs physical assets and the rights to play in the championship but does he own us. We are the people who generate the interest, finance and keep the whole idea of Sheffield Wednesday alive surely we have a say in what our club looks like and acts like.

The decisions that have been taken since the arrival of DC that undermine our history and ethos go against his role as the temporary custodian of the physical club.

Guess what I'm asking is, what is SWFC and what right does DC have to trample on our heritage and turn us in to Thailand FC.

For those who say it’s his club and he can do what he wants how would you feel if upon our wonderful return to the premiership DC decided to take the club away from Sheffield to effectively do a MK dons. Is that allowed?

Whilst applauding the sentiment of your post the major flaw is that we did, up until very recently, have a say in what our club looks like and acts like....the end result was that it looked dead and buried and was acting like a junkie on the steps of the high court begging for another chance..

whilst there are plenty (including me) that don't like some of the decisions Chansiri is making I'd ask this...

Would you rather live with these decisions and play in a plain blue kit or have stripes and live with the decisions made when we had much more say....I say live with them, the truth is we practically died with them

Edited by Ian

34 minutes ago, Ian said:

Whilst applauding the sentiment of your post the major flaw is that we did, up until very recently, have a say in what our club looks like and acts like....the end result was that it looked dead and buried and was acting like a junkie on the steps of the high court begging for another chance..

whilst there are plenty (including me) that don't like some of the decisions Chansiri is making I'd ask this...

Would you rather live with these decisions and play in a plain blue kit or have stripes and live with the decisions made when we had much more say....I say live with them, the truth is we practically died with them

That’s fine but my argument is at what point do we stop being Sheffield Wednesday football club. Can DC do anything as is his right because he owns the club. Ie change our colours, change our name as per the hull tigers fiasco.

What is your red line, what could he do that would stop us being who we are, just for the sake of his (or someone else’s) money.

5 hours ago, tarn owl said:

If he gives us Stripes made by Puma next year and reduces ticket prices to championship average will that make everyone happy? I would offer the club badge going back to previous design but considering the new badge is now hovering over the front door I don't think that is changing anytime soon. Apart from those I can't see a Thailand FC anytime soon.

Think reducing ticket prices and going back to stripes would be a big step to me being a bit more trusting towards people who run the club.

Dont think it would get rid of all the negativity but take the edge of it generally.

I would really welcome not having 'CHANSIRI' on nearly everything I look at on matchday. Yes I know its because he has paid a load of money to sponsor the club but cant help but feel its all done because he is in a big ego trip.

7 hours ago, tripod said:

It is a whisper in a loved ones ear on a crisp november morning.

It is the sound of the ocean hitting the rocks of this glorious nations once mighty empire.

It is the pitter patter of tiny feet running through the woodland undergrowth at dusk.

It is the sound of silence and the crashing drum of victory.

It is a memoir bequeathed to a dear comrade. Never to be read. Always to be cherished.

It is.

It was.

And it when it wasn't it should have probably never been what it was before it was what it is.

Ginsters. 3 for a pound.*

*while stocks last.