When were you truly happy

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

F’uckin hell!!!!

you lot need to get a grip.

I haven’t felt all is well for over 20 years - There is always something poo happening.

What I have learned is that there are far more important things than football. Yes it can make a weekend better or worse - but believe me there are far more important things.

Cherish your family, cherish your friends - everything else will take care of itself!

UTO!

Most of that is true enough & I would think most people are of the same thought but, we shouldn't let any of that stop us talking in football terms on a football forum.

Strangely enough, although the football was practically non-existent I absolutely loved the second half of the 70's.

Seeing the team you love pretty much hit rock bottom then slowly start to claw it's way back was a very special time. 83-86 and 90-93 were great times too but they were the fulfilment of the dream that began to really take shape on 8th October 1977.

34 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Finally the last time all seemed truly right in the football world, 3/4/93 we had just booked our second Wembley Final appearance of the season and surely at least one trophy to follow (oh well Bloody Arsenal!)

But not only that we had done it Wembley in a game we totally dominated more than any other against our bitterest rivals. 

What a day, I thought football doesn't get better than this. (Sadly I was right)

Excellent post, didn't quote it all as its lengthy.

Sadly I was abit too young to go to the league cup final win. Was able to travel down for the 93 games. The Sheff Utd game is easily the happiest i've been at a football match, pure perfection, but, on the other hand, the fa cup final reply, was hands down the worst i've ever felt -- still not got over it too this day.

Edited by TheRock
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, qantas said:

Ah yes, I remember being 18 years old, just, Wednesday were just about my whole life back then, spent most of my money on them, most of my time traveling & watching them....was brilliant, no commitments, no responsibilities, an apprentice in a job I liked, listening to Slade, long hair..................

Life and football were so simple back then.......sigh

3 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

At the end of the play off final

We lost the game, but it felt we had won far more than a game of football

We showed the nation what Wednesdayites were all about

Wembley had never seen a support so loud and so long

Yeah I had this, and not just about the 'day out' - I went home on the train with my ol' dad and felt really good about the next season. We nearly bloody did it, too. Honestly think we will again - probably not this season but I'm already looking forward to the rest of it, albeit it's gonna be a reyt struggle. Even more looking forward to next year. Why not? Not a 'clapper' but I have enough real stuff to deal with in my actual life, quite enjoy the Wednesday rollercoaster actually. It feels like something that's mine. Ours. Whatever.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

Guest Bulgaria

I think it was 17 black came in 3 times in succession on a roulette wheel and I had 10 quid on it each spin. The uphoria I had has yet to be beaten.

Either that or watching varadi score our 2nd at anfield in the 80s.

Last time I was happy was just before the home leg against Huddersfield. I genuinely believed that we would get promoted that season. I thought we would beat Huddersfield and beat anyone in the final. It was our year. 

But we played with fear. We had the goal, got the fans backs up and then started to defend. Huddersfield were there for the taking. That killed the atmosphere and killed our advantage and it was obvious they were going to score. 

From them on I knew Carlos didn't have the bottle to get us up. 

I hadn't purchased a season ticket because of financial reasons at the early bird offer. But was fully prepared to at the next stage, I had had one for 27 years. And then it came, Carlos had agreed a new deal. I just shook my head and thought, but he doesn't know how to get us up. 

I hadn't enjoyed 2016/17 season. It was a strange season and I looked back and could count on one hand how many games I actually enjoyed. The rest we just seemed to cling on for a win. We never looked comfortable in games. 

If I didn't enjoy going to games, if I didn't 

think we would do anything this season (to be fair, there was no chance we would get promoted this season) , I didn't have to have a season ticket. 

It was just too much money that I could have found if I wanted to. I just didn't want to. 

First home game was weird. I took daughter to a soft play and watched sports Saturday on my phone. The joy on her face when she went down the slide saying "look daddy I'm sliding" meant the world and knew I had made the right decision and never looked back. 

I don't know what will bring me back. Maybe feeling its my club again. Feel like I'm not just seen as a consumer and seeing how high we can push season ticket prices but a fan who needs to feel like to feel like I'm part of the club. 

8 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

At the end of the play off final

We lost the game, but it felt we had won far more than a game of football

We showed the nation what Wednesdayites were all about

Wembley had never seen a support so loud and so long

This for me too, was truly happy being an Owl for same reasons, although been a happy clapper I am not particularly unhappy now, just a tad frustrated and disappointed.  There has been other good times of course, Arsenal,  Brighton PO semi at home, more recently 3-0 v Leeds.  Was also happy when we beat Millwall and Villa, winning makes me happy.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

10 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Nearly all the current posts underline some form of unhappiness with the club.

Manager

Squad

Kit

Ticket prices

Marketing

Chairman

Doyen boys.

Just wondered if anybody can pinpoint a time they felt all was well in our world.

GOOD QUESTION.

I was happy with the manager at the end of the 15/16 season.  I was happy with the squad as well.  I felt that with a couple of additions that squad would have been just the ticket to finish top two the season after with the style of football we were playing.  I was happy with the kit.  I thought a fresh idea was novel and i didn't mind it at all.  I was happy with my ticket price for a 3 year season ticket but wasn't happy about matchday prices.  I was happy with the chariman.  Things were looking up, investment, fresh ideas, all the right words.

Now though.  I'm not happy with the manager, the style of football we play is negative, he should have gone after the huddersfield game.  I'm not happy with the squad.  The transfer policy is questionable and the right signings for the right position haven't been made.  I'm not happy with the kit.  Utter shambles.  I'm not happy with the ticket prices despite still being in my 3 year season ticket term.  The club 1867 idea was just baffling and insulting to the fans.  I'm not happy with the chairman either.  I think he's belligerent in his approach and any time it's questioned it does not go down well.  No point in opening yourself up to questions and suggestions from fans if you're going to ignore them.

SWFC Marketing is disgraceful.  An utter utter disgrace.  I can't believe it's in the state it's in.

I'm not even commenting on Doyen.  it's obvious.

Just being Devil's Advocate here, based on my own Wednesday experiences over many years, you don't start supporting Sheffield Wednesday to be "Happy" Being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter means that you are into a footballing life of up's and down's, yo-yo years,failures that follow successful periods, good managers followed by bad, some great players some really poor. Wednesdayites are pragmatic people and most realise what their burdens in life are.We are supporters that know our football (in the main) and want a team that gives its all, more than one that just cost a fortune, a team that plays for them and not just for money, a team that pllays well, even when getting beaten. A club of tradition, that does not lose sight of them and rips them off. A club that appreciates them turning up to support. Happiness is not a prerequisite of being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter. 

Edited by Whatahoot

I love it that so many of you were last truly happy in the early 90's and you therefore haven't been happy for the last 25 years.

That explains so much of the comments on Owlstalk. 

:tango:

Do something about it rather than writing about it anonymously.

FFS!