Worst Sheffield Wednesday Managers

48 minutes ago, Teeside owl said:

david pleat for me had not a clue, if memory serves me right he had darko kovacavic probably spelt wrong, hardly played him, great player in my eyes shortly after we got rid of him he was playing for juve 

sold him and bought Andy Booth, slower than a car on bricks

On 12/15/2017 at 15:41, matthefish2002 said:

IIRC I think it was the big story at the time that Imre Varidis wife have told her husband in no uncertain terms to go back into the managers office after the match and tell Eustace how unhappy he was.

His man management skills were none existent.

If no one minds me saying, she was a stunner; had all of us lads in the Golden Ball trembling at the knees when she made an appearance. PS: I am speaking metaphorically about the trembling knees...

• Haha 1

On 15/12/2017 at 15:36, rickygoo said:

Pleat is generally regraded as a disaster but his achievement taking that side to 7th was bigger than Carlos getting the current side in to the play-offs.

Any manager getting shut of John Sheridan and Chris Waddle when they still had something to offer is worthy of zero respect.

On 13/12/2017 at 21:09, welsOwl74 said:

start of danny wilsons final season in charge 

my eyes are bleeding 

Sketch (1).png

I really wish he’d have been given the boot after the Newcastle game, the last 19 years could have been so different

Amazed that no-one has mentioned Danny Williams manager 1969 to 1971. (no, not Danny Wilson). In my opinion he personally was responsible for accelerating the clubs decline which eventually led us to missing relegation to the 4th tier by 1 point in 1976. He was long gone by then but you can track it back to him. When interviewed, he could hardly string three words together/embarrassing!

On 14/12/2017 at 09:24, SiJ said:

He has spent lots of money...but he also got us two top-six finishes. 

Exactly, managers should ultimately be judged on their results record because the bottom line is that’s all we see as fact in relation to their tenure at a club. We know there were other factors in CC’s reign but we know few facts outside the results and performance. 

Some people hate CC full stop or they hated the football we ended up playing, each to their own. History won’t recall opinions though it will just reflect the results and in turn that will highlight him, rightly or wrongly as one of our most successful.

Its peoples ability to set aside facts and prioritise opinion that allows the same group of managers to circulate from one English club to another in short unseccesful spells.

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Ashurst 

Danny Williams

Eustace

Irvine 

In that order 

lenny ashurst started the turn around in the 70s  and without him we'd have beat the  blunts to the 4th division by 4 years .....players like Johnson, leman, tynan,bradshaw ,walden ,the emergence of wylde ,turner into the 1st team and youth players being signed on as pro's like smith,shitliff, sterland , grant ,taylor was all down to him . ...

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

lenny ashurst started the turn around in the 70s  and without him we'd have beat the  blunts to the 4th division by 4 years .....players like Johnson, leman, tynan,bradshaw ,walden ,the emergence of wylde ,turner into the 1st team and youth players being signed on as pro's like smith,shitliff, sterland , grant ,taylor was all down to him . ...

We were shocking the season he got sacked though.

29 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

That was his third season. It was disappointing 'cos he'd got us turned round and looking up again. And then we persuaded Jack to take over and we didn't look back

for a good 20 years. But when Len Ashurst arrived we were terrible, heading for div 4. He brought Tony Toms with him. It was them that took the team up on the

moors camping overnight around Christmas. It was before a relegation 4 pointer against Chester, (maybe we had previous weekend off for being out of the cup).

It was freezing cold against Chester, and I think Tommo came out with a big parka on with fur hood up. We won 2-0, Prendo scored a superb free kick in the first

half at the Lepp end and I went nuts in the upper West, just nuts. I thought Len Ashurst did a great job keeping us up, even though it went to the final game. And

the next season was quite hopeful including Roger's hat trick at Wolves in the league cup. So Len Ashurst definitely not on my list of worst managers.

On 13 December 2017 at 20:22, sirlawrenceofmadden said:

David Pleat - put us were we are now (at least started the process). 

Wasn't it Pleat who said that you can't have Di Canio and Carbone on the pitch at the same time?

He used to make his own rules up, I think.

6 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Wasn't it Pleat who said that you can't have Di Canio and Carbone on the pitch at the same time?

He used to make his own rules up, I think.

What goes around-got some payback when he left though. Wasn’t he caught doing 103 on the M3 then picked up for kerb crawling in the same week? 

7 hours ago, rickygoo said:

i think he was sacked after his 1st bad run  of only 5 points from the 1st ten games, .following season though  Charlton had a similar run as did Atkinson years later and yet they were given time to turn it round something that was denied ashurst ...........I thought he was a decent manager which his record at Newport after he left us confirms . 

Williams & burtenshaw head a very long list of poor managers I've seen .marshall,dooley ,Eustace,wilson,jones,irvine   .you could add jewell,yorath,turner,shreeves  but by the time they were in charge it was an almost impossible job .

11 hours ago, Stoop said:

I really wish he’d have been given the boot after the Newcastle game, the last 19 years could have been so different

I still remember the morning of that game the back page headline was “Sheffield Glennsday”, and it said if we lost that Hoddle was lined up to replace Wilson.

Well we lost, and we didn’t replace Wilson whilst Hoddle instead went to manage Southampton and lead them to a mid table finish. 

In my lifetime Wilson is the biggest disappointed both the announcement and what he then achieved. Like me, the club were hoping to attract a big name when Big Ron left, Houiller, Walter Smith, Martin o’neill etc. and I was really excited by the names we were linked with, until the day Wilson was confirmed. 

The way he helped handle the Di Canio situation,  replacing one of the league’s best players with De Bilde and Sibon - at a loss, may be one of the biggest disasters at our club.

The managers who failed in the lower leagues with a terrible budget, Irvine, Turner, Yorath, were more a consequence of Wilson and Pleat’s poor management in my opinion 

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

I still remember the morning of that game the back page headline was “Sheffield Glennsday”, and it said if we lost that Hoddle was lined up to replace Wilson.

Well we lost, and we didn’t replace Wilson whilst Hoddle instead went to manage Southampton and lead them to a mid table finish. 

In my lifetime Wilson is the biggest disappointed both the announcement and what he then achieved. Like me, the club were hoping to attract a big name when Big Ron left, Houiller, Walter Smith, Martin o’neill etc. and I was really excited by the names we were linked with, until the day Wilson was confirmed. 

The way he helped handle the Di Canio situation,  replacing one of the league’s best players with De Bilde and Sibon - at a loss, may be one of the biggest disasters at our club.

The managers who failed in the lower leagues with a terrible budget, Irvine, Turner, Yorath, were more a consequence of Wilson and Pleat’s poor management in my opinion 

Brilliantly summed up

On 15/12/2017 at 01:54, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Because people think because he got money we should walk the league.

Even though we weren't the biggest spenders.

Not many manage to spend as much as the last 10 managers combined and make the team worse though. 

1 trick pony.