Worst Sheffield Wednesday Managers

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:42, adelphi1867 said:

He built the Youth set up, Middlewood Rovers, that led to our re-emergence under  'Sir' Jack Charlton then, sadly disbanded by Wilkinson.

Then he went on to Build the Arsenal youth development set up, but , Hey that's the Wednesday way.

coaching was his forte he never cut it as a manager .......on a par with danny Williams as the worst I've seen .

There are at least eight shockers in the 30 years I’ve been following th’Wednesday – and that’s not even counting Carlos or Jos.

1 Terry ‘Yorath’ Nutkins – there was a palpable air of despair on the pitch in 2001-02. Plus Leon Knight.

2 Danny Wilson – where the Wednesday wheels really fell off.

3 Chris Turner – great as a player, bloody awful as a manager despite some decent recruitment (Brunt, Whelan).

4 Paul Jewell  - Higher on the sh*tlist if all of the transfer decisions were his – Ashley Westwood and Ian bloody Hendon.

5 David Pleat – I’d kick him to the kerb but he’d only cr(snip – OT lawyers)

6 Dave Jones (higher if it weren’t for his League One exploits) Was the Darren Potter corner debacle under him?

7 Peter Eustace – not around long enough to get higher but impressively awful. Another great Owl on the pitch who ruined his S6 cred off it.

8 Alan Irvine. Nice badges, though.

Quicker to name the decent managers in that period: chronologically, Wilko, BFR, Trev...BFR again...tumbleweed...(Shreeves, relatively)....more tumbleweed...KPS, Brian...Meggo...Stuart Gray (never got a nickname?):stuwinky:, Carlos (first season).

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 23:33, Utah Owl said:

• We didn't win at home from 23rd Nov 1974 (1-0 v Fulham att. 12,373) to 6th Sep 1975 (1-0 v Wrexham att. 7,585) a run of 14 games and 8 and a half months!

I was born in the middle of that run – as a Wednesdayite, that feels more fitting than, say, having been born on 21/4/91…*

*worryingly, I didn't need to look that date up.

• Like 1

More to the point, and far easier to post these are the ’best’ managers during my support of the Owls, it seems really weird that the club were on only their 5th manager when my support commenced.

Eric Taylor - Mr Sheffield Wednesday, deserves respect for his efforts.

Harry  Catterick- A great manager that we failed to retain the services of.

Vic Buckingham - The most talented manager that the club has ever had, sadly he was before his time in English football.

Alan Brown - A tough no nonsense guy, once again we failed to keep him.

Jack Charlton - After a virtual plethora of crap managers Big Jack brought the pride back, trouble is he got fed up after 5 years in the job.

Howard Wilkinson - The football wasn’t always that pretty, but his record with the club is pretty impressive.

Ron Atkinson - He made supporting the Owls fun, particularly against Man Utd, pity he fell for the lure of Villa.

Trevor Francis - Third, seventh, seventh and thirteenth in the top division, two cup finals, signed some great players, missed out on Cantona and then started to lose his way a bit, if thirteenth in the Premier League is losing his way.

None of the rest are worth the trouble of mentioning.

• Thanks 2

On 15 December 2017 at 15:42, adelphi1867 said:

He built the Youth set up, Middlewood Rovers, that led to our re-emergence under  'Sir' Jack Charlton then, sadly disbanded by Wilkinson.

Then he went on to Build the Arsenal youth development set up, but , Hey that's the Wednesday way.

Really pleasedto hear this about Burtenshaw because my memory of standing on the East Bank in those days watching the first team was one of unremitting suffering while trying to claim at school that we were better than dem Blades who happened to have Currie, Woodward et al being casually brilliant. 

That said, it was character forming! 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2017 at 21:00, TrickyTrev said:

Just my opinion pal, I’m basing this on what managers had to work with, hence the reason Danny Wilson is top of my list.

As for Carlos, it’s my opinion that the investment made by DC played a bigger role in the last 2 seasons than Carlos did, I also believe that there are plenty of managers who could have matched and out done Carlos’s achievements over the last 2 seasons given the same circumstances.

Keith Andrews said numerous times last season that we tended to rely on having better players than the opposition to win matches rather than a game plan and I agree with him. I think our achievements over the last 2 seasons have been inspite if Carlos not because of him and I believe that a more adventurous manager would have got us promoted. I think Carlos bares the majority of the blame for our playoff failures over the last 2 seasons... especially last year. And now we are no further forward than when he took over from Stewart Gray but we’ve spent £30m more.

Don't want to turn this into a Carlos bashing thread, just giving my reasons for putting him in there. It’s just opinions, you have yours and I have mine, that’s fair enough.

Brilliant post!