Worst Sheffield Wednesday Managers

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The worst by a country mile was Steve Burtenshaw. Attendances during his reign (and it's immediate aftermath) were regularly in the 7-10k range. Unless you saw that  Wednesday side (74-76) playing, I'm sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word crap. A team (and manager) totally devoid of talent, tactical nous and fighting spirit. Here are some simple stats to demonstrate how appallingly crap we were:

• 28th December 1974 1-0 away win at Southampton. It was our last win either home or away of the season
  • For the remainder of the season (17 games) we managed just 1 solitary point having got 20 points from the first 25 matches
  • We only scored two more goals that season. 25th February 1975 in a 2-1 defeat at Fulham and 19th April 1975 in a 1-1 draw at home v Oxford (att. 7,444)
  • Between 14th December 1974 and the above Oxford game we didn't score a single goal at home (8 games)
  • We didn't win at home from 23rd Nov 1974 (1-0 v Fulham att. 12,373) to 6th Sep 1975 (1-0 v Wrexham att. 7,585) a run of 14 games and 8 and a half months!
  • We didn't win away from home between 28th December 1974 (Southampton above) and 16th October 1976 (1-0 at Reading), nearly 2 flipping years and 36 away games later.
  • We didn't have a two goal winning margin between 9th Nov 1974 (3-0 v York City) and 20th Sep 1975 (4-0 v Grimsby) 31 games and almost a year later.

The words crap and sh!te didn't exist before then and were specifically invented to describe us!

Anyone thinking the football is bad now may well be right but to describe it as the worst ever compared to what I've just outlined above is complete and utter nonsense.

the day burtenshaw sold tommy craig was the day relegation was confirmed for me , I think we got 4pts & 4 goals in the 20 games after he left ..........it's no wonder some of us who witnessed 74-75 don't go into meltdown about the season we are having today 

Edited by torryowl

12 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Alcock dived and should have sent himself off

Or at least booked himself 

Nigel winterburn totally crapped it though when dicanio turned on him :biggrin:

Brilliant moment

Right gobby little $hit who would shy away from you off the pitch. Ander Herrera is another one. Easy to play the hard man when the ref has your back.

think everyone has different criteria on how to judge if a manager as been good or bad for the club ........I've seen lenny ashurst mentioned and looking at his results it's hard to argue against it (but i'm going to) ......we were dogmeat  when he arrived crap players, no money and heading for the 4th division . he somehow saved us signing free transfers from the likes of Gillingham & aldershot ....he then cleared out some dross brought rodger wylde into the side ,signed tommy tynan, paul bradshaw & jeff Johnson for next to nowt  and stabilised the club . he was the manager (I think) who signed youngsters like sterland , smith , shirtliff, taylor, grant  who went on to greater things under big jack and wilko . ....sure when he left we'd made a terrible start to the season but overall I thought he did very well . 

Edited by torryowl

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The worst by a country mile was Steve Burtenshaw. Attendances during his reign (and it's immediate aftermath) were regularly in the 7-10k range. Unless you saw that  Wednesday side (74-76) playing, I'm sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word crap. A team (and manager) totally devoid of talent, tactical nous and fighting spirit. Here are some simple stats to demonstrate how appallingly crap we were:

• 28th December 1974 1-0 away win at Southampton. It was our last win either home or away of the season
  • For the remainder of the season (17 games) we managed just 1 solitary point having got 20 points from the first 25 matches
  • We only scored two more goals that season. 25th February 1975 in a 2-1 defeat at Fulham and 19th April 1975 in a 1-1 draw at home v Oxford (att. 7,444)
  • Between 14th December 1974 and the above Oxford game we didn't score a single goal at home (8 games)
  • We didn't win at home from 23rd Nov 1974 (1-0 v Fulham att. 12,373) to 6th Sep 1975 (1-0 v Wrexham att. 7,585) a run of 14 games and 8 and a half months!
  • We didn't win away from home between 28th December 1974 (Southampton above) and 16th October 1976 (1-0 at Reading), nearly 2 flipping years and 36 away games later.
  • We didn't have a two goal winning margin between 9th Nov 1974 (3-0 v York City) and 20th Sep 1975 (4-0 v Grimsby) 31 games and almost a year later.

The words crap and sh!te didn't exist before then and were specifically invented to describe us!

Anyone thinking the football is bad now may well be right but to describe it as the worst ever compared to what I've just outlined above is complete and utter nonsense.

I started going to away games regularly in 1974....just in time for the "glory" years. That whole three year period, the start of 1973/74 to the last gasp survival game against Southend in 1976, was absolutely awful to watch and covered, naturally, the whole of Burtenshaw's reign. We won 29 (21.6%) of 134 league games in those three years of which just five were away from home.

When you've kept with the club through that sort of period, when a home gate into five figures was reckoned as being good, then it conditions you against anything. Black balloons? I'll raise you the "Save Our Owls" campaign.....

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

think everyone has different criteria on how to judge if a manager as been good or bad for the club ........I've seen lenny ashurst mentioned and looking at his results it's hard to argue against it (but i'm going to) ......we were dogmeat  when he arrived crap players, no money and heading for the 4th division . he somehow saved us signing free transfers from the likes of Gillingham & aldershot ....he then cleared out some dross brought rodger wylde into the side ,signed tommy tynan, paul bradshaw & jeff Johnson for next to nowt  and stabilised the club . he was the manager (I think) who signed youngsters like sterland , smith , shirtliff, taylor, grant  who went on to greater things under big jack and wilko . ....sure when he left we'd made a terrible start to the season but overall I thought he did very well . 

I tend to agree with you on Ashurst. Far greater culprits than him. Danny Williams (24% win ratio),Jack Marshall (25%),Terry Yorrath (28%),David Pleat (31%),Paul Jewell(31%) . David Pleat broke up a very good team too early in the process.Ashurst had a win ratio of 35%, in really tough times and had no money to spend. His legacy in terms of young players was good as you say.

But the stand outs with very poor win ratio's were Peter Eustace (only 11%) and Steve Burkenshaw (19%) Eustace saddened me at the time, as he was/is myWednesday favourite player .

15 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

It’s very difficult to judge a lot of managers over the last 20 years as most of them were working under very tough circumstances.

I’ll have a go anyway, here’s my top 5 anyway (1 being the worst), I’ve tried to take into account what each manager was working with compared to others at that level...

1/ Danny Wilson

2/ Alan Irvine

3/ David Pleat

4/ Carlos Carvalhal

5/ Chris Turner

How can a manager who got us to the play offs two seasons running be worse than Peter Eustace?

Absolutely unbelievable.

28 minutes ago, markowl said:

How can a manager who got us to the play offs two seasons running be worse than Peter Eustace?

Absolutely unbelievable.

Erm I wasn't born when Peter Eustace was Wednesday manager.

Also if you read the thread you'll see my reasons for including Carlos.

Edited by TrickyTrev

38 minutes ago, markowl said:

Absolutely unbelievable.

Lovely bloke Peter Eustace. Lives in my village. 

Fun fact - My middle name is Peter, born 5/3/86, manager at the time was... Yep, you guessed it, Peter Eustace. 

23 minutes ago, ramone said:

People putting Carlos in the list of worst managers of all time :tango:

I could name you five from my lifetime (in no particular order) 

1 - Terry Yorath

2 - Alan Irvine

3 - Chris Turner

4 - Paul Jewell

5 - Danny Wilson

I'll raise you , in my lifetime.

Danny Williams

Steve Burtenshaw

Len Ashurst

Peter Eustace

David Pleat

All far worse than Carlos has been over his full time in charge. 

2 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

I'll raise you , in my lifetime.

Danny Williams

Steve Burtenshaw

Len Ashurst

Peter Eustace

David Pleat

All far worse than Carlos has been over his full time in charge. 

David Pleat!! Cant believe I missed that dirty clown out!!