s8owl75

Worst Sheffield Wednesday Managers

We seem to have had more shyte managers than good ones. To be fair though its hard to compare different eras, when some have had low budgets to work with or worked in tougher levels than others, etc. That's why the win ratio stats are pointless when comparing managers. All in all, considering the many crap managers we've had over the years, it shows how difficult it is to get it right and to find the right man. It probably partly explains why Chansiri's taking so long to do something this season, when his footballing knowledge is limited, it makes it even harder to find a decent manager. Can only fairly rate the managers during my lifetime, the best ones were Big Jack; Big Ron, Sgt Wilko, Tricky Trev and Laws. The worst were Irvine; Wilson, Turner, Jewell and Jones. Considering the budget Gray had you could add him to the decent ones and you could add Carlos to the worst ones because we're underachieving despite the squad and budget he's had to work with.

Without digging too deep and looking at what they had resource wise I go for:

Peter Eustace - took over from Sgt Wilko and was absolutely useless, looked like a crazed loon on the touchline.

Alan Irvine - Made CC's current team look like the Harlem Globetrotters, if reports of his team talks were true he had us beat before we kicked off.

Chris Turner - Respected ex-player, plenty of promise, talked a good job but that was it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

So you're saying that Chris Turner would have got this squad promoted, because you have him lower down the list than Carlos.  And Carlos missed out by one game! lol

No that’s not what I said. Perhaps I think they were both bad managers, ever think of that... hence the reason they were both on my list?

I think Stewart Gray would have got us promoted if that’s ok with you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, s8owl75 said:

Megson has the third best all time win rate, and memories of a remarkable day at Hillsborough when the Dirty Red and White B*st*rds were vanquished as his last match in charge

I agree with the rest. take your pick between Eustace and Jewell to replace Megson on your list.

Turner at least brought in some good players like Holt, Whelan and Brunt

I don’t have the rose tinted glasses of 1 derby day win, his tactics were terrible and he wouldn’t have got us promoted. Those were dark days and he made it worse. Dave Jones I don’t rate overall but he came in and looked like pep compared to him. If he was there we’d have been the ones in league 1 for 6 years. Stevenage at Home and prutton played on the right will scar me forever. Didn’t get a job for years after and when he did he helped an established manager get sacked from his club. Don’t get megson love. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, A12owl said:

From the edge of the penalty area at the kop end I think about 5 minutes from time.

It's all be down hill since Brisco belted that ball. I was stood behind it that day. 

If only our current players had that belief to take on that kind of shot. Lee Brisco was no world beater. He believed though. 

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Eh? How is it actually possible to rate Megson worse than Irvine?

I'm not in the COM but I do know that Irvine took a Championship side and had it struggling in the bottom half of League One in the space of a year. Megson took over that awful side, turned it round and had it in the top 3 a year later with the foundations laid for automatic promotion. 

I grant you Irvine wasn’t great but came in to a sinking ship and then we were at the high court the year after. Mandaric made automatic promotion possible by saving us and then having the guts to get rid of a guy who wasn’t going to get us promoted. Megson was stubborn played same tactics every week and we were rubbish. The club was being turned around by mandaric not megson. Irvine wasn’t great but was wrong timing. Megson was worse for me. Not popular view on here but there you go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Those attendances!  

The worst by a country mile was Steve Burtenshaw. Attendances during his reign (and it's immediate aftermath) were regularly in the 7-10k range. Unless you saw that  Wednesday side (74-76) playing, I'm sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word crap. A team (and manager) totally devoid of talent, tactical nous and fighting spirit. Here are some simple stats to demonstrate how appallingly crap we were:

• 28th December 1974 1-0 away win at Southampton. It was our last win either home or away of the season
  • For the remainder of the season (17 games) we managed just 1 solitary point having got 20 points from the first 25 matches
  • We only scored two more goals that season. 25th February 1975 in a 2-1 defeat at Fulham and 19th April 1975 in a 1-1 draw at home v Oxford (att. 7,444)
  • Between 14th December 1974 and the above Oxford game we didn't score a single goal at home (8 games)
  • We didn't win at home from 23rd Nov 1974 (1-0 v Fulham att. 12,373) to 6th Sep 1975 (1-0 v Wrexham att. 7,585) a run of 14 games and 8 and a half months!
  • We didn't win away from home between 28th December 1974 (Southampton above) and 16th October 1976 (1-0 at Reading), nearly 2 flipping years and 36 away games later.
  • We didn't have a two goal winning margin between 9th Nov 1974 (3-0 v York City) and 20th Sep 1975 (4-0 v Grimsby) 31 games and almost a year later.

The words crap and sh!te didn't exist before then and were specifically invented to describe us!

Anyone thinking the football is bad now may well be right but to describe it as the worst ever compared to what I've just outlined above is complete and utter nonsense.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

From my time watching Wednesday is has to be Chris Turner. Couldn't motivate a alcoholic to buy a pint. Good judge of a player but woeful on the touchline. Some might say Irvine but I think the situation Irvine managed us in was impossible for him to succeed in, by the time Milan had taken control he'd pretty much lost the fans and was only a matter of time before he left.

2 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

start of danny wilsons final season in charge 

my eyes are bleeding 

Sketch (1).png

Jeez I’d forgotten it was that bad, should’ve gone after Toon match.

Wimbledon must’ve been proper turd ?    lol

4 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Jeez I’d forgotten it was that bad, should’ve gone after Toon match.

Wimbledon must’ve been proper turd ?    lol

they finished above us

11 hours ago, poite said:

To say Carlos is anywhere near our worst is silly.

The sad thing is that he's rapidly becoming one of the managers I dislike the most. Such a shame cos he was fantastic for such a good period

This 

But he’ll possibly get on this list when the proportion of money and resources he has had compared to everyone else is factored in. 

Eustace, Turner and Wilson for me.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

In my lifetime it’s between Irvine and Turner. Both guiding us to the brink of relegation to the 4th tier.

But as he had slightly more money, I’m gonna have to go with Irvine.

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

The worst by a country mile was Steve Burtenshaw. Attendances during his reign (and it's immediate aftermath) were regularly in the 7-10k range. Unless you saw that  Wednesday side (74-76) playing, I'm sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word crap. A team (and manager) totally devoid of talent, tactical nous and fighting spirit. Here are some simple stats to demonstrate how appallingly crap we were:

• 28th December 1974 1-0 away win at Southampton. It was our last win either home or away of the season
  • For the remainder of the season (17 games) we managed just 1 solitary point having got 20 points from the first 25 matches
  • We only scored two more goals that season. 25th February 1975 in a 2-1 defeat at Fulham and 19th April 1975 in a 1-1 draw at home v Oxford (att. 7,444)
  • Between 14th December 1974 and the above Oxford game we didn't score a single goal at home (8 games)
  • We didn't win at home from 23rd Nov 1974 (1-0 v Fulham att. 12,373) to 6th Sep 1975 (1-0 v Wrexham att. 7,585) a run of 14 games and 8 and a half months!
  • We didn't win away from home between 28th December 1974 (Southampton above) and 16th October 1976 (1-0 at Reading), nearly 2 flipping years and 36 away games later.
  • We didn't have a two goal winning margin between 9th Nov 1974 (3-0 v York City) and 20th Sep 1975 (4-0 v Grimsby) 31 games and almost a year later.

The words crap and sh!te didn't exist before then and were specifically invented to describe us!

Anyone thinking the football is bad now may well be right but to describe it as the worst ever compared to what I've just outlined above is complete and utter nonsense.

the day burtenshaw sold tommy craig was the day relegation was confirmed for me , I think we got 4pts & 4 goals in the 20 games after he left ..........it's no wonder some of us who witnessed 74-75 don't go into meltdown about the season we are having today 

Edited by torryowl
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Alcock dived and should have sent himself off

Or at least booked himself 

Nigel winterburn totally crapped it though when dicanio turned on him :biggrin:

Brilliant moment

Right gobby little $hit who would shy away from you off the pitch. Ander Herrera is another one. Easy to play the hard man when the ref has your back.

12 hours ago, owler66 said:

I know I can't mention Carlos but a lot of the managers named were crap because we didn't have a lot of money to spend,even Turner found some gems,Carlos has spent millions and is as bad as any of them

Two play off finals?

Yeah he’s vv.ank!!

Stop following the sheep son.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Two play off finals?

Yeah he’s vv.ank!!

Stop following the sheep son.

One Play off final.

Don't think CC is W,ank but this season he is well past his sell by date with us.

think everyone has different criteria on how to judge if a manager as been good or bad for the club ........I've seen lenny ashurst mentioned and looking at his results it's hard to argue against it (but i'm going to) ......we were dogmeat  when he arrived crap players, no money and heading for the 4th division . he somehow saved us signing free transfers from the likes of Gillingham & aldershot ....he then cleared out some dross brought rodger wylde into the side ,signed tommy tynan, paul bradshaw & jeff Johnson for next to nowt  and stabilised the club . he was the manager (I think) who signed youngsters like sterland , smith , shirtliff, taylor, grant  who went on to greater things under big jack and wilko . ....sure when he left we'd made a terrible start to the season but overall I thought he did very well . 

Edited by torryowl
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

I started going to away games regularly in 1974....just in time for the "glory" years. That whole three year period, the start of 1973/74 to the last gasp survival game against Southend in 1976, was absolutely awful to watch and covered, naturally, the whole of Burtenshaw's reign. We won 29 (21.6%) of 134 league games in those three years of which just five were away from home.

When you've kept with the club through that sort of period, when a home gate into five figures was reckoned as being good, then it conditions you against anything. Black balloons? I'll raise you the "Save Our Owls" campaign.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

think everyone has different criteria on how to judge if a manager as been good or bad for the club ........I've seen lenny ashurst mentioned and looking at his results it's hard to argue against it (but i'm going to) ......we were dogmeat  when he arrived crap players, no money and heading for the 4th division . he somehow saved us signing free transfers from the likes of Gillingham & aldershot ....he then cleared out some dross brought rodger wylde into the side ,signed tommy tynan, paul bradshaw & jeff Johnson for next to nowt  and stabilised the club . he was the manager (I think) who signed youngsters like sterland , smith , shirtliff, taylor, grant  who went on to greater things under big jack and wilko . ....sure when he left we'd made a terrible start to the season but overall I thought he did very well . 

I tend to agree with you on Ashurst. Far greater culprits than him. Danny Williams (24% win ratio),Jack Marshall (25%),Terry Yorrath (28%),David Pleat (31%),Paul Jewell(31%) . David Pleat broke up a very good team too early in the process.Ashurst had a win ratio of 35%, in really tough times and had no money to spend. His legacy in terms of young players was good as you say.

But the stand outs with very poor win ratio's were Peter Eustace (only 11%) and Steve Burkenshaw (19%) Eustace saddened me at the time, as he was/is myWednesday favourite player .

15 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

It’s very difficult to judge a lot of managers over the last 20 years as most of them were working under very tough circumstances.

I’ll have a go anyway, here’s my top 5 anyway (1 being the worst), I’ve tried to take into account what each manager was working with compared to others at that level...

1/ Danny Wilson

2/ Alan Irvine

3/ David Pleat

4/ Carlos Carvalhal

5/ Chris Turner

How can a manager who got us to the play offs two seasons running be worse than Peter Eustace?

Absolutely unbelievable.

• Upvote 3