Worst Sheffield Wednesday Managers

57 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Unfortunately I can only really talk about managers from 1991. 

1) Danny Wilson

2) David Pleat

3) Gary Megson

4) Chris Turner

5) Terry Yorath

Megson would have been top if had money to spend. 

Eh? How is it actually possible to rate Megson worse than Irvine?

I'm not in the COM but I do know that Irvine took a Championship side and had it struggling in the bottom half of League One in the space of a year. Megson took over that awful side, turned it round and had it in the top 3 a year later with the foundations laid for automatic promotion. 

Howard Wilkinson had built a squad that although not the best, could compete in the top division, playing to their strengths. Eustace was there all the time and had witnessed this, yet we played  horrendous when he took over, those 3 months I think we’re the darkest days of all. I have disliked many others but Pete was the worst. 

Williams & burtenshaw by a country mile for me ...I could add Eustace but he had such a short time in charge and had no managerial experience  that I've cut him some slack ........anyone who was here from 2000 to  milan arriving  never really stood a chance due to the state of the club so there excused . 

26 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Those attendances!  

should have been around in the 70's matt , we could only dream of getting crowds like that ........crowds of 7-8 k in a stadium that held 55k was summat to behold . I think one of the reason those of us that witnessed what it was like back are a bit more tolerant to our situation today . 

We seem to have had more shyte managers than good ones. To be fair though its hard to compare different eras, when some have had low budgets to work with or worked in tougher levels than others, etc. That's why the win ratio stats are pointless when comparing managers. All in all, considering the many crap managers we've had over the years, it shows how difficult it is to get it right and to find the right man. It probably partly explains why Chansiri's taking so long to do something this season, when his footballing knowledge is limited, it makes it even harder to find a decent manager. Can only fairly rate the managers during my lifetime, the best ones were Big Jack; Big Ron, Sgt Wilko, Tricky Trev and Laws. The worst were Irvine; Wilson, Turner, Jewell and Jones. Considering the budget Gray had you could add him to the decent ones and you could add Carlos to the worst ones because we're underachieving despite the squad and budget he's had to work with.

Without digging too deep and looking at what they had resource wise I go for:

Peter Eustace - took over from Sgt Wilko and was absolutely useless, looked like a crazed loon on the touchline.

Alan Irvine - Made CC's current team look like the Harlem Globetrotters, if reports of his team talks were true he had us beat before we kicked off.

Chris Turner - Respected ex-player, plenty of promise, talked a good job but that was it.

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

So you're saying that Chris Turner would have got this squad promoted, because you have him lower down the list than Carlos.  And Carlos missed out by one game! lol

No that’s not what I said. Perhaps I think they were both bad managers, ever think of that... hence the reason they were both on my list?

I think Stewart Gray would have got us promoted if that’s ok with you.

1 hour ago, s8owl75 said:

Megson has the third best all time win rate, and memories of a remarkable day at Hillsborough when the Dirty Red and White B*st*rds were vanquished as his last match in charge

I agree with the rest. take your pick between Eustace and Jewell to replace Megson on your list.

Turner at least brought in some good players like Holt, Whelan and Brunt

I don’t have the rose tinted glasses of 1 derby day win, his tactics were terrible and he wouldn’t have got us promoted. Those were dark days and he made it worse. Dave Jones I don’t rate overall but he came in and looked like pep compared to him. If he was there we’d have been the ones in league 1 for 6 years. Stevenage at Home and prutton played on the right will scar me forever. Didn’t get a job for years after and when he did he helped an established manager get sacked from his club. Don’t get megson love. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, A12owl said:

From the edge of the penalty area at the kop end I think about 5 minutes from time.

It's all be down hill since Brisco belted that ball. I was stood behind it that day. 

If only our current players had that belief to take on that kind of shot. Lee Brisco was no world beater. He believed though. 

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Eh? How is it actually possible to rate Megson worse than Irvine?

I'm not in the COM but I do know that Irvine took a Championship side and had it struggling in the bottom half of League One in the space of a year. Megson took over that awful side, turned it round and had it in the top 3 a year later with the foundations laid for automatic promotion. 

I grant you Irvine wasn’t great but came in to a sinking ship and then we were at the high court the year after. Mandaric made automatic promotion possible by saving us and then having the guts to get rid of a guy who wasn’t going to get us promoted. Megson was stubborn played same tactics every week and we were rubbish. The club was being turned around by mandaric not megson. Irvine wasn’t great but was wrong timing. Megson was worse for me. Not popular view on here but there you go. 

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

Those attendances!  

The worst by a country mile was Steve Burtenshaw. Attendances during his reign (and it's immediate aftermath) were regularly in the 7-10k range. Unless you saw that  Wednesday side (74-76) playing, I'm sorry but you don't even know the meaning of the word crap. A team (and manager) totally devoid of talent, tactical nous and fighting spirit. Here are some simple stats to demonstrate how appallingly crap we were:

• 28th December 1974 1-0 away win at Southampton. It was our last win either home or away of the season
  • For the remainder of the season (17 games) we managed just 1 solitary point having got 20 points from the first 25 matches
  • We only scored two more goals that season. 25th February 1975 in a 2-1 defeat at Fulham and 19th April 1975 in a 1-1 draw at home v Oxford (att. 7,444)
  • Between 14th December 1974 and the above Oxford game we didn't score a single goal at home (8 games)
  • We didn't win at home from 23rd Nov 1974 (1-0 v Fulham att. 12,373) to 6th Sep 1975 (1-0 v Wrexham att. 7,585) a run of 14 games and 8 and a half months!
  • We didn't win away from home between 28th December 1974 (Southampton above) and 16th October 1976 (1-0 at Reading), nearly 2 flipping years and 36 away games later.
  • We didn't have a two goal winning margin between 9th Nov 1974 (3-0 v York City) and 20th Sep 1975 (4-0 v Grimsby) 31 games and almost a year later.

The words crap and sh!te didn't exist before then and were specifically invented to describe us!

Anyone thinking the football is bad now may well be right but to describe it as the worst ever compared to what I've just outlined above is complete and utter nonsense.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

From my time watching Wednesday is has to be Chris Turner. Couldn't motivate a alcoholic to buy a pint. Good judge of a player but woeful on the touchline. Some might say Irvine but I think the situation Irvine managed us in was impossible for him to succeed in, by the time Milan had taken control he'd pretty much lost the fans and was only a matter of time before he left.

11 hours ago, poite said:

To say Carlos is anywhere near our worst is silly.

The sad thing is that he's rapidly becoming one of the managers I dislike the most. Such a shame cos he was fantastic for such a good period

This 

But he’ll possibly get on this list when the proportion of money and resources he has had compared to everyone else is factored in. 

Eustace, Turner and Wilson for me.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl