Time To Start Adthe Nuhiu

Time to go with the big man upfront.

Let's face it our pass, pass, bore style isn't working is it and all it does is invite pressure onto us. May work if we had a bit of pace upfront so we had an out ball,  but we don't.

So what's the alternative?

Nuhiu.

Partner him with Hooper and let him cause havoc from the first minute, not from the 85th.

At least with him we have that out ball up front we can launch it to, knowing there is a good chance it will stick. And whats more a player the size of Nuhiu up front also puts the opponent on the back foot and makes them drop deeper as they know 9/10 times he wins the first ball. Then it's up to us to get the likes of Hooper, Reach and Lee around him for the second balls.

I know he has his faults but if we use him in the right way with Hooper. ( The same way Heskey was with Owen) This really could turn our season around and with Forestieri to come back aswell.

We may just start to attack teams after all.

• Haha 2

Starting Nuhiu is fine if the team implement the tempo and tactics from the first minute that they did when behind against Hull.

However, playing Nuhiu with the usual tip tap slow tempo would be a complete waste of time.

I don’t think Carlos has it in him to get a team regularly playing with high tempo on the front foot from the outset.

8 minutes ago, A12owl said:

At least Nuhiu isnt outcast by carlos which would give him no chance of playing.

I said in another thread that my choice would be Nuhiu and Rhodes with Hooper in support. 

Nuhiu creates spaces for other attackers due to him attracting markers. As long as the crowd don't expect him to score but to create chances for others it could work. 

Will Carlos try it? I think he might start him but not necessarily with the right partners and structure.  Same as he did or didn't do with Rhodes.

That would ruin the plan if he has one that is.

With Rhodes it's always been. Don't give him a chance in the box or that's it. Goal. 

but recently it's been more like every 6 chances he has he burries 1. Where as Nuhiu will always win you 8 or 9 out of 10 headers of which 3 or 4 of them will lead to chances like Hoopers on Saturday.

My point is Nuhiu is going to give you 1 maybe 2 golden opportunities to score every game and at the moment only Hooper is capable of taking them.

30 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Time to go with the big man upfront.

Let's face it our pass, pass, bore style isn't working is it and all it does is invite pressure onto us. May work if we had a bit of pace upfront so we had an out ball,  but we don't.

So what's the alternative?

Nuhiu.

Partner him with Hooper and let him cause havoc from the first minute, not from the 85th.

At least with him we have that out ball up front we can launch it to, knowing there is a good chance it will stick. And whats more a player the size of Nuhiu up front also puts the opponent on the back foot and makes them drop deeper as they know 9/10 times he wins the first ball. Then it's up to us to get the likes of Hooper, Reach and Lee around him for the second balls.

I know he has his faults but if we use him in the right way with Hooper. ( The same way Heskey was with Owen) This really could turn our season around and with Forestieri to come back aswell.

We may just start to attack teams after all.

Is this even a serious post?

Good chance it will stick?

9 times out of 10?

:tango:

No start for Nuhiu, other teams will set up to nulify him and he misses too many chances. Far better option off the bench as a surprise package if we are up against it or a hold up player if we need to see it out. I rate him more than I do Fletcher that is for sure.

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

Is this even a serious post?

Good chance it will stick?

9 times out of 10?

:tango:

Headers he will win 9 out of 10.

And Nuhiu is as good as any one we got at making it stick. 

What let's him down is the 3 club foot touches he decides to make after it.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Headers he will win 9 out of 10.

And Nuhiu is as good as any one we got at making it stick. 

What let's him down is the 3 club foot touches he decides to make after it.

No he wont

no he isnt

no it's not

These myths were all put to bed a year ago.....unfortunately the old owlstalk curse of players not in the team spending their spare time turning in to a merger of Messi and Ronaldo has struck again

Edited by Ian

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

No he wont

no he isnt

no it's not

These myths were all put to bed a year ago.....unfortunately the old owlstalk curse of players not in the team spending their spare time turning in to a merger of Messi and Ronaldo has struck again

Well said.

Nuhius last 7 starts.

Won 0

Drawn 2

Lost 5

Edited by Emilianenko

6 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Other teams will only know if he is playing 1 hour  before kick off. Not a huge amount of time to change tactics they may have been working on all week.

As a one off start you are right, but I was making a point on him starting regularly, which is what we looking for ie a settled and winning team. After week one and having our next opponents scouted our game, it would be relatively easy to stop a more direct approach, especially when we have no pace in the team.

11 minutes ago, Ian said:

No he wont

no he isnt

no it's not

7 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Well said.

Nuhius last 7 starts.

Won 0

Drawn 2

Lost 5

I am not saying he is the answer to everything. And you're both right majority of the time he is useless. 

But the way I look at it we have one player, only one that can score us any goals and that's Hooper.

So let's play Nuhiu and give him one task. Set up Hooper.

44 minutes ago, A12owl said:

At least Nuhiu isnt outcast by carlos which would give him no chance of playing.

I said in another thread that my choice would be Nuhiu and Rhodes with Hooper in support. 

Nuhiu creates spaces for other attackers due to him attracting markers. As long as the crowd don't expect him to score but to create chances for others it could work. 

Will Carlos try it? I think he might start him but not necessarily with the right partners and structure.  Same as he did or didn't do with Rhodes.

That would ruin the plan if he has one that is.

Would love to see Nuhiu & Rhodes with Hooper in behind in a 3-5-2.

Unfortunately it will never happen while Carlos is here.

So what you are basically saying is if we adopt the Sheff United style of long ball then we will be umphing it up to Nuihu, not to score as this spectacular scoring stats of 2 goals in 43 appearance show that he doesn't score goal but to hopefully knock on and not give fouls away.

OR

We could just play a 4-4-2 with 2 winger, 2 central midfielder and 2 strikers and tell them to go out and attack, get the balls to the flanks and get the balls coming into the box for the front two to score with the central midfielders there for the second balls or if the striker drops a little deeper. You know the 4-4-2 that every other team in the country plays which does not have 3 central midfielders in and no right midfielder, you know the 4-4-2 that does not consist of passing the ball across the back 4 letting the other team get back and into two banks of four that make the team more difficult to breakdown, you know the 4-4-2 where the person on the pitch having the most touches is not a central midfielder in his own half.

Basically the 4-4-2 we don't play hence even thinking of playing a guy who is only called a strikers because he stands in that area of the pitch shows what a very sorry state of affairs we find our self in.

OR

We could get a coach in who knows how to play 4-4-2 and if this doesn't work how to play a 3-5-2 or a 4-1-2-3 or a 3-4-3 or what ever formation you want to use. A manager that is not a one trick pony that when we lose it is the fans fault because we don't cheer when the team passes from side to side then back to the keeper. You know like all the other teams in the league have.

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So what you are basically saying is if we adopt the Sheff United style of long ball then we will be umphing it up to Nuihu, not to score as this spectacular scoring stats of 2 goals in 43 appearance show that he doesn't score goal but to hopefully knock on and not give fouls away.

OR

We could just play a 4-4-2 with 2 winger, 2 central midfielder and 2 strikers and tell them to go out and attack, get the balls to the flanks and get the balls coming into the box for the front two to score with the central midfielders there for the second balls or if the striker drops a little deeper. You know the 4-4-2 that every other team in the country plays which does not have 3 central midfielders in and no right midfielder, you know the 4-4-2 that does not consist of passing the ball across the back 4 letting the other team get back and into two banks of four that make the team more difficult to breakdown, you know the 4-4-2 where the person on the pitch having the most touches is not a central midfielder in his own half.

Basically the 4-4-2 we don't play hence even thinking of playing a guy who is only called a strikers because he stands in that area of the pitch shows what a very sorry state of affairs we find our self in.

OR

We could get a coach in who knows how to play 4-4-2 and if this doesn't work how to play a 3-5-2 or a 4-1-2-3 or a 3-4-3 or what ever formation you want to use. A manager that is not a one trick pony that when we lose it is the fans fault because we don't cheer when the team passes from side to side then back to the keeper. You know like all the other teams in the league have.

If I said to you Leon Clarke would score 9 goals in November would you have believed me. Nuhiu may surprise us. And let's face it, it's not exactly like Rhodes and Fletcher aren't missing chance after chance is it. I not saying replace him with Hooper am I.

As for the 4-4-2 with wingers. Perfect play it. but with Nuhiu partnering Hooper as the two. At least then we got the option to go long earlier.

44 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

No start for Nuhiu, other teams will set up to nulify him....

He often occupies two defenders. He's rarely appreciated for this.

Holds the ball up well and creates opportunities for others.

We were doing a lot better when he was around!

1 minute ago, Davidioso said:

Exactly this. Just because he don't score then he automatically is no good and doesn't deserve to play.

10 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

Please do not just pick out part of my post, when I have openly said I rate him more than I do Fletcher and I've pointed out his strengths which can be very effectively used as a substitute. I have also said he can be used to hold the ball up. The fact is imo, he is not as effective when starting and better used as a surprise package in the second half.

1 minute ago, Whatahoot said:

Please do not just pick out part of my post, when I have openly said I rate him more than I do Fletcher and I've pointed out his strengths which can be very effectively used as a substitute. I have also said he can be used to hold the ball up. The fact is imo, he is not as effective when starting and better used as a surprise package in the second half.

Eh?

I was just adding to your comment not criticizing you.

Sorry if you took offence