Jon Newsome : Carlos making "Repetitive and continuous excuses"

Jon Newsome Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

I’ve got to be honest; its all getting a bit monotonous now isn’t it?

We started slowly, showed no desire to go and attack the opposition (this time a very poor Hull City) conceded and went behind, came out like a different side the second half, nearly won it but defended badly and ended in a draw! Oh, and the referee apparently cost us points!

Carlos Carvalhal has a word with the fourth official during Sheffield Wednesday's draw with Hull City I am sure there are quite a number of ways of carving it up but I just wonder how many times this has roughly epitomised most of the games this season, and some of last season.

Before the game Carlos Carvalhal had come out and said that one of the issues was the atmosphere in the stadium wasn’t conducive to the players playing well or expressing themselves.

Sorry, I think that is absolute nonsense and furthermore I think as the manager of the football club he is walking on thin ice in what comes across as trying to apportion some of the blame onto the supporters

Take the Sheffield derby for an example?

We got battered in the first 45 minutes, gave absolutely nothing for the fans to shout about and then managed to nick a goal back just before half time.

When they came out for the second half the ground was buzzing, the anticipation was there and the fans, even at 1-2 down were right behind the team. The roof nearly came off when we equalised and then the bubble was burst with two further goals from our bitter rivals.

If there was ever a game when the supporters were going to turn on you then losing, at home to United, and losing emphatically, then this would be the day.

No, I didn’t see the crowd turn, in fact I thought I witnessed them being extremely positive, especially bearing in mind what they had just seen.

Was it any different on Saturday? No, I don’t think so.

The dreary, pedestrian first half typified what the majority of supporters are complaining about. When we had a go in the second half and played with some urgency and desperation then all of a sudden the crowd are on their feet and the atmosphere is exactly what it should be.

Atdhe Nuhiu's arrival brought a spark to the Sheffield Wednesday attack For far too many games we have played well in small patches.

The annoying bit is that because we have good players, when we do play with some urgency and are trying to win the game and score goals, instead of just keeping possession, we can often tear teams apart.

Obviously you can’t play the whole 90 minutes just throwing caution to the wind and going hell for leather because there is also the defensive side of the game, but there has to be, and can be, a happy medium.

Currently it seems that it is one or the other, and the other, desperate gung-ho football comes in small patches nearing the end of the match. Now I’ve got that off my chest I also don’t buy this major issue that the manager is making about referees and them supposedly costing us all these points.

I agree that there have been a couple of penalty issues that haven’t gone our way but I also witnessed us being on the right side of a couple of very favourable decisions down at Ipswich. I’m a firm believer that they usually equal themselves out over the course of a season. If your season is defined by the odd refereeing decision then personally I think you are clutching at straws.

Furthermore, who’s to say, if we had been awarded these penalties, that we would have scored them anyway? Personally I would concentrate more of my time and efforts working out how to create a more positive, forward-thinking team.

Don’t get me wrong here - because I know whilst writing this there will be the backlash from some people - I do not want the manager or the club to fail, not at all.

I would love for us to have been successful so far this season and flying high in the league. Unfortunately we aren’t but the worrying part of it for me is simply the performances.

Can I actually sit here, with an honest view on the club and say that we deserve to be in a better position than we are right now? No I don’t think I can. I hope, like I have hoped for the last number of months that the team and manager can turn the corner and ram it down my throat but I really wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t say what I really think.

I am not one for calling out managers or players, I have been on the receiving end of that in the past and it is not my style at all and this really isn’t what I am doing here, but, I also can’t ignore the repetitive and continuous excuses regarding this season's performances that basically skirt around the real issue.

Owls head coach Carlos Carvalhal The ironic cheers when we had our first couple of shots on goal on Saturday aren’t great for anybody really but I can fully understand and appreciate the absolute frustration of the supporters right now that led to this happening.

Surely, there is nothing to lose now, draws are no longer any good really and wins are what are required. We are soon entering the busiest part of the season and if we can start to put some performances and wins together who knows where we will end up.

What I do know is that its worth giving it a try!

Owlstalk Shop

Absolutely Bob on, now if he ca see it, all the twitter journalist crew can see it, 30,000 on and off supporters can see it............

The manager has got to go for it or fall on his sword, he is strangling the team no matter who is in it, regularly going multiple games with 0 or 1 shot on goal. Football really isn't rocket science, motivated players, pace and intent, we could grow a row of conifers down the wings as we use them so little.  I really want us to succeed but I just don't believe it will happen until Carlos goes.

Guest Bulgaria

Can't argue with yer John.

And just because you are critizing the style of play, fans with a brain know you don't want the club to fail so you don't need to stress that.

Well said, Jon. I think this sums up certainly MY feelings, and those of a large proportion of the fans.

I have always been one who has wanted , nay begged, for Wednesday to win, but I have also been one of the fans who was prepared to say 'Well, we played well, but were beaten by the better side.', and go home reasonably happy. Now  I find that I am often hoping for the Ref to blow the whistle and end the agony.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Disagree

Don't think he's slagging anyone off but he is looking critically at what's going on

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, ramone said:

‘I’m not one for slagging off players and managers’

Really John, I’ve just read 22 paragraphs where you’ve done nothing but... 

But it's ok for Carlos to have a dig at the fans right?

12 minutes ago, ramone said:

‘I’m not one for slagging off players and managers’

Really John, I’ve just read 22 paragraphs where you’ve done nothing but... 

A fair critique of the the players, our style of play and the managers constant attempts to deflect the blame onto the refs

Does not constitute a slagging off 

Now if you want to read a slagging off...,....

Edited by lanzaroteowl

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Jon Newsome Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

I’ve got to be honest; its all getting a bit monotonous now isn’t it?

We started slowly, showed no desire to go and attack the opposition (this time a very poor Hull City) conceded and went behind, came out like a different side the second half, nearly won it but defended badly and ended in a draw! Oh, and the referee apparently cost us points!

Carlos Carvalhal has a word with the fourth official during Sheffield Wednesday's draw with Hull City I am sure there are quite a number of ways of carving it up but I just wonder how many times this has roughly epitomised most of the games this season, and some of last season.

Before the game Carlos Carvalhal had come out and said that one of the issues was the atmosphere in the stadium wasn’t conducive to the players playing well or expressing themselves.

Sorry, I think that is absolute nonsense and furthermore I think as the manager of the football club he is walking on thin ice in what comes across as trying to apportion some of the blame onto the supporters

Take the Sheffield derby for an example?

We got battered in the first 45 minutes, gave absolutely nothing for the fans to shout about and then managed to nick a goal back just before half time.

When they came out for the second half the ground was buzzing, the anticipation was there and the fans, even at 1-2 down were right behind the team. The roof nearly came off when we equalised and then the bubble was burst with two further goals from our bitter rivals.

If there was ever a game when the supporters were going to turn on you then losing, at home to United, and losing emphatically, then this would be the day.

No, I didn’t see the crowd turn, in fact I thought I witnessed them being extremely positive, especially bearing in mind what they had just seen.

Was it any different on Saturday? No, I don’t think so.

The dreary, pedestrian first half typified what the majority of supporters are complaining about. When we had a go in the second half and played with some urgency and desperation then all of a sudden the crowd are on their feet and the atmosphere is exactly what it should be.

Atdhe Nuhiu's arrival brought a spark to the Sheffield Wednesday attack For far too many games we have played well in small patches.

The annoying bit is that because we have good players, when we do play with some urgency and are trying to win the game and score goals, instead of just keeping possession, we can often tear teams apart.

Obviously you can’t play the whole 90 minutes just throwing caution to the wind and going hell for leather because there is also the defensive side of the game, but there has to be, and can be, a happy medium.

Currently it seems that it is one or the other, and the other, desperate gung-ho football comes in small patches nearing the end of the match. Now I’ve got that off my chest I also don’t buy this major issue that the manager is making about referees and them supposedly costing us all these points.

I agree that there have been a couple of penalty issues that haven’t gone our way but I also witnessed us being on the right side of a couple of very favourable decisions down at Ipswich. I’m a firm believer that they usually equal themselves out over the course of a season. If your season is defined by the odd refereeing decision then personally I think you are clutching at straws.

Furthermore, who’s to say, if we had been awarded these penalties, that we would have scored them anyway? Personally I would concentrate more of my time and efforts working out how to create a more positive, forward-thinking team.

Don’t get me wrong here - because I know whilst writing this there will be the backlash from some people - I do not want the manager or the club to fail, not at all.

I would love for us to have been successful so far this season and flying high in the league. Unfortunately we aren’t but the worrying part of it for me is simply the performances.

Can I actually sit here, with an honest view on the club and say that we deserve to be in a better position than we are right now? No I don’t think I can. I hope, like I have hoped for the last number of months that the team and manager can turn the corner and ram it down my throat but I really wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t say what I really think.

I am not one for calling out managers or players, I have been on the receiving end of that in the past and it is not my style at all and this really isn’t what I am doing here, but, I also can’t ignore the repetitive and continuous excuses regarding this season's performances that basically skirt around the real issue.

Owls head coach Carlos Carvalhal The ironic cheers when we had our first couple of shots on goal on Saturday aren’t great for anybody really but I can fully understand and appreciate the absolute frustration of the supporters right now that led to this happening.

Surely, there is nothing to lose now, draws are no longer any good really and wins are what are required. We are soon entering the busiest part of the season and if we can start to put some performances and wins together who knows where we will end up.

What I do know is that its worth giving it a try!

Absolutely bang on.

Taking this in a different direction how many ex- pros do we really need in the media. This article is a perfect example. Jon has been paid good money for saying nothing we are not capable of seeing ourselves. He has actually just recycled what has already been said on several posts on here before, posted by the average man on the street. Keep up the hard work Jon.

Guest Bulgaria

Spent a night with a lovely girl many  moons ago who used to date Jon. The following morning I made her a coffee in my swfc mug. On seeing the mug she said " I used to date a player called Jon Newsome" said he was a really nice bloke, had a body like a Greek god and had a reyt todger that would bring tears to her eyes.

The only tears I brought to her eyes were when I asked if she would lend me a fiver to put petrol in my car.

True story dat