Van Aken "I'm not used to sitting on the bench"

A little disappointed with the way we've managed this lad to be honest.

It's obvious that he's not up to Championship standard yet, and a loan move after purchasing him would have better suited all parties, but we threw him in at the deep end to cover for Loovens' absence and now we've got fans writing him off already. I've seen enough to see that the potential is there for us to nurture him into a top Championship defender, but I don't think the club and the fans will give him the time to develop.

It's another example of our poor player recruitment strategy. We were desperate for experienced cover at centre back before the season started, yet we went out and signed a young lad with no experience of playing in this country and then claimed that he's 'one for the future' after he struggled to adapt. Strange. 

12 minutes ago, Bassett's Allsorts said:

A little disappointed with the way we've managed this lad to be honest.

It's obvious that he's not up to Championship standard yet, and a loan move after purchasing him would have better suited all parties, but we threw him in at the deep end to cover for Loovens' absence and now we've got fans writing him off already.

Agreed

It's not the only player either

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

No they weren't ....

Should he not have made the tackle for the first then.? 

What about the second when he practically kicks the ball out of Westwood's hands.

maybe I am being over critical. but it's poor decision making on his part.

With Adam Reach at left back and this young lad left side central defender

it was never going to work. VERY WEAK LEFT FLANK +++ (try sayng that a few times when you p*ssed.)

Just hope with some of the results and performances post and including the derby

I hope it hasn't broken his heart.

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Should he not have made the tackle for the first then.? 

What about the second when he practically kicks the ball out of Westwood's hands.

maybe I am being over critical. but it's poor decision making on his part.

He was culpable along with others, but not wholly at fault for either

1 hour ago, OneDavidHirst said:

He's not used to defending either from what I've seen.

Don't give a monkey's chuff about his distribution, his job is to stop goals.

If we really looked at 200+ defenders before settling on him, God help us!!!

That's 200 defenders that Doyen got us to look at remember 

At times he looks like a midfield player playing out of position

At the moment he doesn't seem to have that awareness of danger that all good defenders have

But he's a young kid, playing in a new country

The only way he will improve is by giving him games

And there's no better defensive teacher at our club than Loovens

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Well, i suppose at least its to his credit he wants to play "every" game, but he's going to have to improve a bit at defending..

Its all very well hitting the odd 40 yd pass, but his main job is defending, and no matter how often he does the former, its the latter he's going to be judged on

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken SWFC.jpg

Joost Van Aken has spoken out about a frustrating time at Sheffield Wednesday: “It was tough mentally keeping myself going. It is not nice when you are not playing. As a footballer, you want to play.

“I know I have to improve a few things so I’m working hard in training every day to get better.

“Of course, I want to play every game but I understood the decision of the manager.

“It was just a case of making sure I was ready when he needed me.”

Van Aken described losing his place in the Owls team as a “different experience”. The Haarlem-born player was a first-team regular at Heerenveen, making 26 appearances for the top-flight Dutch outfit in their mid-table finish last term.

“It was a little bit strange,” he conceded. “I’m not used to sitting on the bench.

“When I was fit in Holland, I, luckily, played all the games. “It was a different experience being on the bench but I’m still a young player and I have to improve.”

Van Aken is hungry to learn, listen and get better. While he was on the bench, he meticulously studied Loovens and Lees in an attempt to improve his own game.

Van Aken said: “Glenn and Tom have a lot of experience so when they are playing I try to watch them to learn what they are doing. They are clever players. When I was on the bench during a game, I watched them specifically to learn from them.

“Both players try to help me and I listen to them. “I think I can learn from them both with the way they play and the experience they have.”

Takeaway: the Dutch first division is absolute gash.

7 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Stop trying to ping diagonal balls into the channels that aren’t hitting there mark and learn to defend properly and you might not be on the bench so much .

What are you talking about? His distribution is spot on every time, it's his defending that's let him down. 

5 hours ago, S1Owl said:

The Dutch league is very slow and hardly physical. 

The championship is hardly the place for elegant defenders. 

He was at fault v pigs and v Hull. 

Are you for real?

The Dutch league is ridiculously quick! Haven't you seen some of the talent which is developed there? The Dutch love a good, quick winger or full back and there is fantastic attacking talent coming out of there.

I can accept the argument that is doesn't quite match the physicality of the championship but if he had been coached properly and developed whilst at S6, that would have helped him.

10 hours ago, steveger said:

still reckon he will turn into a really good defender as he was in Holland, he's young enough, fingers crossed

His early performances showed he has got the talent to succeed long term .