Van Aken "I'm not used to sitting on the bench"

Joost Van Aken SWFC.jpg

Joost Van Aken has spoken out about a frustrating time at Sheffield Wednesday: “It was tough mentally keeping myself going. It is not nice when you are not playing. As a footballer, you want to play.

“I know I have to improve a few things so I’m working hard in training every day to get better.

“Of course, I want to play every game but I understood the decision of the manager.

“It was just a case of making sure I was ready when he needed me.”

Van Aken described losing his place in the Owls team as a “different experience”. The Haarlem-born player was a first-team regular at Heerenveen, making 26 appearances for the top-flight Dutch outfit in their mid-table finish last term.

“It was a little bit strange,” he conceded. “I’m not used to sitting on the bench.

“When I was fit in Holland, I, luckily, played all the games. “It was a different experience being on the bench but I’m still a young player and I have to improve.”

Van Aken is hungry to learn, listen and get better. While he was on the bench, he meticulously studied Loovens and Lees in an attempt to improve his own game.

Van Aken said: “Glenn and Tom have a lot of experience so when they are playing I try to watch them to learn what they are doing. They are clever players. When I was on the bench during a game, I watched them specifically to learn from them.

“Both players try to help me and I listen to them. “I think I can learn from them both with the way they play and the experience they have.”

Owlstalk Shop

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Joost Van Aken SWFC.jpg

Joost Van Aken has spoken out about a frustrating time at Sheffield Wednesday: “It was tough mentally keeping myself going. It is not nice when you are not playing. As a footballer, you want to play.

“I know I have to improve a few things so I’m working hard in training every day to get better.

“Of course, I want to play every game but I understood the decision of the manager.

“It was just a case of making sure I was ready when he needed me.”

Van Aken described losing his place in the Owls team as a “different experience”. The Haarlem-born player was a first-team regular at Heerenveen, making 26 appearances for the top-flight Dutch outfit in their mid-table finish last term.

“It was a little bit strange,” he conceded. “I’m not used to sitting on the bench.

“When I was fit in Holland, I, luckily, played all the games. “It was a different experience being on the bench but I’m still a young player and I have to improve.”

Van Aken is hungry to learn, listen and get better. While he was on the bench, he meticulously studied Loovens and Lees in an attempt to improve his own game.

Van Aken said: “Glenn and Tom have a lot of experience so when they are playing I try to watch them to learn what they are doing. They are clever players. When I was on the bench during a game, I watched them specifically to learn from them.

“Both players try to help me and I listen to them. “I think I can learn from them both with the way they play and the experience they have.”

Image result for benny hill gif crying

:ghoulguy::duntmatter::carlosswfc:WTF:

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The Haarlem-born player was a first-team regular at Heerenveen, making 26 appearances for the top-flight Dutch outfit in their mid-table finish last term.

I'm now secretly hoping he turns out to be rubbish so I can successfully use the phrase "Haarlem Shuffle"

• Haha 1

He will come good with a little time. Pity is we paid a lot of money for what we thought was a dominant football playing centre back, with just a few rough edges. Well it looks like those "few" rough edges need ironing out and that is not easy in front of 25000 Wednesday fans

I get the argument of a player only being young and being able to improve but Joost Van Aken seems to cost us goals in almost every game he plays.

Straight off the top of my head I could pick fault with him for a goal against Forest, 2 goals against the pigs and 2 goals on Saturday against Hull.

He says he's not used to sitting on the bench, personally I'd rather see him sitting in the stand, defensively he really is a shocking defender.

• Haha 1

He's not used to defending either from what I've seen.

Don't give a monkey's chuff about his distribution, his job is to stop goals.

If we really looked at 200+ defenders before settling on him, God help us!!!

Edited by OneDavidHirst

I think too many of you are being overly harsh on the lad. He's got the makings of a really good defender. Any young player is going to make errors when being thrust into the championship. Especially when those around him are not playing too well. His attitude in wanting to improve and play as opposed to pick up a cheque and watch from the bench is exactly what it should be, good on him