Butterfield

5 hours ago, victorturner said:

In The Star last week in a profile he said he had been asked to hang back and let Bannan go forward! He is an attacking midfielder not being given his best role. And does Bannan get forward enough?

Correct. Doing as asked, as any professional should do. 

However, go watch videos of him and you’ll see he’s better utilised further forward. 

Not sure it’s any of the midfielders fault that your defenders can’t defend, mind. I thought the Ipswich goals were bad but having seen those yesterday, Christ.

3 hours ago, Moaty78 said:

Disagree with abdi totally different type of player and a lot better at attacking 

Agreed

Abdi is a totally different type of player - and the most dynamic forward midfield player we have by some distance - in the right formation. To say he is a similar style to Butterfield and Jones is ridiculous

Well, he was when he was signed - no idea if he can even still lace his boots up these days

Absolutely horrific management of possibly the best attacking midfield player in the championship over the last several years

3 hours ago, Moaty78 said:

Disagree with abdi totally different type of player and a lot better at attacking 

6 minutes ago, scram said:

Agreed

Abdi is a totally different type of player - and the most dynamic forward midfield player we have by some distance - in the right formation. To say he is a similar style to Butterfield and Jones is ridiculous

Well, he was when he was signed - no idea if he can even still lace his boots up these days

Absolutely horrific management of possibly the best attacking midfield player in the championship over the last several years

Yes - you're both right - a different player. I was thinking about his pace and pressence, which has now consumed me in all things Wednesday.

This isn't his fault, as like Bannan, he needs someone with pace and powerful next to him to allow him time to express himself. I actually liked his cameo, and the teams line up in the first half against Sunderland. But like Matias, CC only appears to gives these (expensive) fringe players 45 mins to impress.

1 hour ago, scram said:

Agreed

That fits the current narrative but what facts do you base horrific management on contrary to the consistent line of fitness issues ? 

9 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

That fits the current narrative but what facts do you base horrific management on contrary to the consistent line of fitness issues ? 

He had just played 30+ premier league games and was in pre-season training (and matches) without fitness issues when he signed

So fitness wasn't an issue then

But overall why sign one of the best and most dynamic central attacking midfielders the championship had seen - then stick him out wide as an orthodox wide midfielder

The way we were signing players in that pre-season i was convinced (and very happy) that we were switching to a central midfield 3

butterfield  is a solid journeyman championship midfielder . you see them week in week out unknown(to me) players for clubs like Brentford , millwall , bristol etc etc who chug up and down without catching your eye but do a job for there club........