Carlos on Radio Sheffield

40 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I feel sorry for him. He sounded stressed. 

He's part of the problem. He should have gone after the Huddersfield playoff for me because the football last season was dire despite a higher position than the previous season. Didn't want him to go when this season started because the time wasn't right but it's getting to the time to cut your losses

25 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Having Bannan and Butterfield sitting a bit deeper with 3 in front would work.

Bannan Butterfield

Matias Abdi Reach

Hooper

It gives Bannan more options to link up play in front of him.

The formation is a massive problem!

Sadly we have a manager who wouldn’t want to use a modern day thinking formation. Last season we were also capable of fielding a 4231 side with the likes of Forestieri and Abdi behind a striker but it was never tried 

I wonder whether there’s any manager out there that would come into the club and believe he has a 442 squad because our wingers are so effective 

The key points were missing in the whole interview.

Regardless of the slow start, the idea of winning in last 20 was working but we didn’t see it out.

Penalty not given but Lino overruled for second conveniently not mentioned. We made a hash of a clearance at the end of the game and that was glossed over.

CC has (usually) always protected his players and tried to be positive, but sometimes you just have to say that we didn’t do our job properly and panicked at the end under pressure.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I did to a point

But then I had a light shine down from god who said "listen... listen to what he's actually really saying here... listen.... you will hear it... ti's the ramblings of a man who is under serious pressure, who's team is failing, but who keeps repeating the same actions time after time after time after time and expecting a better result"

I listened to god.

He gave me the light

I'm no longer in favour of Carlos remaining

I actually found it hard to disagree with much of what Carlos was saying.

He setup like we all wanted him to. 2 out and out wingers for a change, two attack minded centre midfielders and an up front pairing that has worked so often in the past.

BUT ......Can you actually believe the bare faced cheek of Hull turning up and wanting to get something out of the game too? I mean, theyve been scoring themselves but have a terrible defensive record..... they should have just turned up and rolled over, but no... they were more compact, played with two banks of 4, sat back and didnt get drawn out of position and gave us very little time on the ball in their half. How dare they????

Im not saying that the first half was any good, far from it....but in fairness to Carlos he made the change. And it worked. And I dont think anyone can come away from that game thinking that we didnt deserve all three points.

And hes also right about the penalty decision. Blatant handball.... penalty and a red card. We score the penalty and its 2-1 against 10 men and the game is entirely different. The player sent off doent get to punish us by scoring the equaliser as hes not on the pitch.

And people say that these decisions balance themselves out. Youre having a laugh.

Dont get me wrong, I thought (and still think) that he should have been sacked after the United game..... but based on the above, Carlos is right. I think Rob Staton came across very poor, didnt listen to what Carlos what saying and repeated the same questions. It just seems fashionable for RS to give Carlos an hard time at the minute while being very sympathetic towards other local managers

Ref blaming again for a very average performance. Yes the ref was poor and we should have had a penalty but I didn't hear Carlos discussing how the ref had overturned the linesmans off side decision for the first goal and how the ref at ipswich had allowed loovens to stay on the pitch. 

We do seem to get more than our share of poor decisions but fact is we should be putting in performances where poor ref decisions or irrelevant. 

It's a sad indictment of where we are that atdhe Nuhiu was our man of the match and only came on at 52mins. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYowl said:

Crazy interview, he was trying to take credit for changing the game by chucking 3 players on just after half time. Wouldn't have come to this if we had started with the correct team and tactics.  Same old story every week.

Thing is, he did manage to turn it around. Then we threw it away again! 

Jusy like we did against United. From the outside it appears The team has been molly coddled under him and it shows at key times. Playoff finals, semis, games when we can go top two or in this seasons case...too many games!

Just now, Miffed said:

He setup like we all wanted him to. 2 out and out wingers for a change, two attack minded centre midfielders and an up front pairing that has worked so often in the past.

BUT ......Can you actually believe the bare faced cheek of Hull turning up and wanting to get something out of the game too? I mean, theyve been scoring themselves but have a terrible defensive record..... they should have just turned up and rolled over, but no... they were more compact, played with two banks of 4, sat back and didnt get drawn out of position and gave us very little time on the ball in their half. How dare they????

Im not saying that the first half was any good, far from it....but in fairness to Carlos he made the change. And it worked. And I dont think anyone can come away from that game thinking that we didnt deserve all three points.

And hes also right about the penalty decision. Blatant handball.... penalty and a red card. We score the penalty and its 2-1 against 10 men and the game is entirely different. The player sent off doent get to punish us by scoring the equaliser as hes not on the pitch.

And people say that these decisions balance themselves out. Youre having a laugh.

Dont get me wrong, I thought (and still think) that he should have been sacked after the United game..... but based on the above, Carlos is right. I think Rob Staton came across very poor, didnt listen to what Carlos what saying and repeated the same questions. It just seems fashionable for RS to give Carlos an hard time at the minute while being very sympathetic towards other local managers

WTF

That's bizarre 

I can't see anyone else seeing that like that

Rob Staton poor? He was strong and resolute but missed key points to put Carlos right

We started horrifically, the penalty decision was irrelevant in the end because the players had a go at it and went for Hull City and got their rewards

When fans start saying Carlos is right to put everything down to irrelevant referee decisions and bypassing all/any deficiencies in the tactical approach of our football club then we're doomed.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Penalty not given but Lino overruled for second conveniently not mentioned.

Im probably better passing judgement when I see it again on the highlights, but my initial response would be that it doesnt matter as long as the correct decision is reached in the end

If the referee over ruled the linesman and the correct decision was made, then its all good. But regarding the penalty (and previous penalty claims) the correct decision was not made. One of the two officials should have seen that... it should have been a red card and penalty.

• Thanks 1

Sounded like a desperate man grasping at whatever excuse he could. Thank you Carlos for a great first season but unfortunately it is time to go. Interview was even worse when Chris Wilders honesty about their performance came soon after

36 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Having Bannan and Butterfield sitting a bit deeper with 3 in front would work.

Bannan Butterfield

Matias Abdi Reach

Hooper

It gives Bannan more options to link up play in front of him.

The formation is a massive problem!

Butters was awful.

Matias was lousy.

Abdi has been terrible for us.

Hooper cant play lone-striker. Didnt you see how good he was with Nuhiu, and dont you think those 10 goals he has playing with Fletch or Nuhiu tell you something about how best to play him?

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

"What do you want me to do, start a game with 3 strikers on the pitch?!?!"

Well. Yes actually.

Well can't fault his insight in the follow up either... sets us up vulnerable for counter attack straight through no midfield.. but still.. his words, not mine, i think it's time for Plan B all the way now, abort Plan A!

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

That's bizarre 

I can't see anyone else seeing that like that

Rob Staton poor? He was strong and resolute but missed key points to put Carlos right

We started horrifically, the penalty decision was irrelevant in the end because the players had a go at it and went for Hull City and got their rewards

When fans start saying Carlos is right to put everything down to irrelevant referee decisions and bypassing all/any deficiencies in the tactical approach of our football club then we're doomed.

I dont care if Im going against the grain.

Carlos made changes to the line up today and to the formation. The intention was to play differently but Hull also lined up differently to what they have been recently. It didnt work. The manager knows that, the fans know that.... Every one knows that. No one is really arguing that the first half wasnt good enough. But Carlos did his job. He made the changes and we were much better second half. I dont see how anyone can argue with that

2 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Im probably better passing judgement when I see it again on the highlights, but my initial response would be that it doesnt matter as long as the correct decision is reached in the end

If the referee over ruled the linesman and the correct decision was made, then its all good. But regarding the penalty (and previous penalty claims) the correct decision was not made. One of the two officials should have seen that... it should have been a red card and penalty.

Of course. I agree.

But how often do you see linos overruled? That went in our favour and the ref deserves credit if it was right.

I have been a vocal advocate of Carlos over the past season and a half, but even I will admit I am sick of the style of football we are playing. My enthusiasm for the guy, however amiable he is, has waned significantly.

I'm all for giving managers more time; God only knows they don't get enough in the modern game. Carlos has had that and our style of play used to be so fluid and swashbuckling and it has turned into something resembling watching paint dry, and not even vibrant coloured paint either. Like really grey/beige paint. Ugh.

That being said, I am torn whether he should go now or after the Xmas period if results/performances don't improve. Unbeaten runs are fine if they actually include a good proportion of wins, not draws!

5 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I disagree with what you are saying about him setting out the midfield the way we want.

Most people want him to try a new formation I would say.

4-4-2 is killing us!