BIG JACK MAKES FRONT PAGE!

He was in the North Stand, just before he said he would join us (came to av a look at us before making his mind up)  I said to him, wot you think Jack..they need smartning up' he said 'aye possibly'....radio sheff reporter was reyt mad I got to him before them, he asked me what he said (cos he ignored the reporters questions), I just said he's our next manager...though I was semi-guessing at the time....then RS announced they were the first to know...a scoop, effin cheeky twots.

Can't remember who we were playing, but we did win and played ok if i remember correctly.

I remember meeting Jack one night in The Shoulder Of Mutton in Worrall . He was in having a pint with Tony toms, who lived up there . Down to earth bloke who was happy to have a drink with us and a chat . Said it how it was ,straight to the point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smegheadowl said:

Too young to remember him in charge, but my best memory of him is when he said " if he'd have done that to me I'd have chinned him" about that dutch player in the 1990 world cup, think it was Rickard.

If you mean "the spitter" it was him yes. 

16 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

He was in the North Stand, just before he said he would join us (came to av a look at us before making his mind up)  I said to him, wot you think Jack..they need smartning up' he said 'aye possibly'....radio sheff reporter was reyt mad I got to him before them, he asked me what he said (cos he ignored the reporters questions), I just said he's our next manager...though I was semi-guessing at the time....then RS announced they were the first to know...a scoop, effin cheeky twots.

Can't remember who we were playing, but we did win and played ok if i remember correctly.

It was Chesterfield we were bottom of the third division, we won 1-0 on a day when sherlyegg got the scoop lol

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

For my money, the best manager at the club in my 50 years of watching the Owls

Certainly up there with the best, a real character of the type football misses today....he saved us from the fourth division & set us on our way back, I also loved how he did it without a contract, he just came in, sorted us & then moved on when he thought he couln't take us any further.....great man.

41 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I remember meeting Jack one night in The Shoulder Of Mutton in Worrall . He was in having a pint with Tony toms, who lived up there . Down to earth bloke who was happy to have a drink with us and a chat . Said it how it was ,straight to the point. 

Saw him and Tony Toms a few times in The Shoulder chap...and Mick Pickering too!! Fond memories of those times as he built a team we could be proud of after so much c**p!!

• Like 1

BTM was obviously the best memory, but the away game at Blackburn stays in my mind. We weren’t mathematically up at that point but it more or less secured promotion. The support that night was spectacular and the celebration at the end when the away end emptied onto the pitch still stays with me after all these years. 

I seem to remember his medicals for potential signings revolved around them being a "gun dog" for him up on the moors. 

Another story I recall is Jack getting more and more pissed off by the minute after watching his players unable to hit the target during a free kick practice session in front of the Lepp...Big Jack strides on to the mud bath of a Hillsborough pitch in his brogues and promptly smashes one first time into the top corner , shakes his head then remarks "why the roger can't you lot do that"?

• Thanks 1