On 24/03/2018 at 13:49, fredmciverslovechild said:

Only Danny Williams could have taken one of our best players, move him into an unfamiliar position and buy a replacement from the Third Division. Perhaps simply buying a midfielder and leaving Smith where he was was too obvious? Though having said that Smith did look good there.

In the end it all became a bit irrelevant when Don Megson was moved on after the Scunthorpe debacle and he had to switch Smith back. He then came up with an even more stunning solution to our midfield problems by switching Gerry Young; another case of square pegs and round holes. And that too fell apart in the infamous Man City game when a clearly unfit Smith had to be subbed early and Young switched back.

God....the memories of that idiot Williams really makes my blood boil!

Young might have had some problems, but as for being a square peg, if so this applied to his entire career at Wednesday. He started as a Forward, played centre and on the wing at various times, and only came into his own on the departure of Tony Kay to Everton. He was replaced by, Gerry Young, who went on  to win an England Cap in his best position as Left Half Back. Though he played in many positions in his career, there was always one thing you could guarantee - he would give of no less than his best., and his adaptability was superb.

• Agree 1

Wilf  Smith...absolute class act, never saw him have a bad game. He was Mel Sterland with more skill and elegance. Possibly my favourite Wednesday player of the late 60’s when I first started watching the owls. One of those players who when he set off on an overlap you sensed something good would happen. When he left for Coventry we never really replaced him with anyone of the same class...as with a lot of players at that time, hence relegation at the end of 69/70 season. Harold Wilcockson...my how we laughed at his antics in the right back position, think he was signed from the mighty Donny Rovers...need I say more!