Wilf Smith Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Great photo of Sheffield Wednesday player Wilf Smith looking glorious in his all white shirt

Signed photo available on Ebay here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilf-Smith-Sheffield-Wednesday-Signed-Original-Magazine-Picture-A4/173009518064?hash=item28482bbdf0:g:lr8AAOSw8UZZ5lFx

didn't he leave us for coventry? gr8 right back tho

He was a pretty decent player; I think when he was sold to Coventry for £100,000 it was the biggest ever fee for a full back.

We had so many youngsters like him at the time, though....players like Ford, Eustace, McCalliog, Pugh and others....and none of them quite lived up to expectations for various reasons. Perhaps if they'd moved on earlier in their careers they might have made more of them but the trouble was we took too many down with us.

started as a defensive wing half  when he came into the team ,switched to full back and seem to remember danny Williams signed the legend that was Harold wilcockson and moved wilf into mid field the season we got relegated ......think he played one game the next season before forcing himself a move to Coventry ......he packed up playing around the 30 years old mark for some reason though I do recall reading that he ran a successful business that made him a few bob . 

I remember my sister getting signatures around school & youth club voting for Wilf Smith summat to do with

a competition in the old Football League Review that we used to get FREE with match programme

9 hours ago, ash60s said:

I remember my sister getting signatures around school & youth club voting for Wilf Smith summat to do with

a competition in the old Football League Review that we used to get FREE with match programme

That was when they had a competition to vote for the best looking player. It ran for the whole season.

did wilf win then? need to let me sister know - its been a while :biggrin:

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

being a saddo I can tell you who won ......George ley of Portsmouth 

untitled ley.png

Indeed you are right, torry.

However, I'm an even bigger saddo than you cos I can remember the FLR explaining that he beat George Best over the whole season by two votes.....two votes which actually arrived in the final post on the last day.

sister be gutted then :rolleyes: