Night out after Reading

If you want a few close together start at the Three Guineas (in the station), over the road to the Oakford Social club (my usual after work drinking establishment), come out hang a right and walk round the corner (keeping right). Blagrave Arms is next followed by O'Neills on the next corner. The Monks Retreat over the road is cheap but a bit dire, so keep going round to the right. Theres a Yates, which does good cocktails and a Walkabout down an alley behind it. Theres another bar next (forget the name and then there is a Pitcher and Piano on the next corner. Right again (aiming back down to the Station and theres a Revolution Bar on the right.

All in all nothing special, but that's 10 odd without going more than a few hundred yards in total in a small circle.

Want food? then head towards the Oracle shopping centre wheres there's around 15 eateries on the riverside (well canal side as its the Kennet and Avon not the Thames) Greek, Lebanese, Mex a Steakhouse or two - the usual mix. All Bar One is cheapish and the Beer is ok. Las Iguanas for more Cocktails and spicy food.

No more pubs there, but theres usually an overpriced pop-up outside bar (goes up before Christmas, may already be there this week) but if you come out at the West side of the Centre, theres a few on the Walk back into town. Zero Degrees (micro brewery) Purple Turtle and some other bar next to it, Allied Arms (Proper Pub - only one left) and a few more eateries.

All very walkable, even when you've had a few.

I shall no doubt be doing that round in December after the works lunchtime xmas do!

On 22/11/2017 at 19:44, FAT OWL said:

If you want a few close together start at the Three Guineas (in the station), over the road to the Oakford Social club (my usual after work drinking establishment), come out hang a right and walk round the corner (keeping right). Blagrave Arms is next followed by O'Neills on the next corner. The Monks Retreat over the road is cheap but a bit dire, so keep going round to the right. Theres a Yates, which does good cocktails and a Walkabout down an alley behind it. Theres another bar next (forget the name and then there is a Pitcher and Piano on the next corner. Right again (aiming back down to the Station and theres a Revolution Bar on the right.

All in all nothing special, but that's 10 odd without going more than a few hundred yards in total in a small circle.

Want food? then head towards the Oracle shopping centre wheres there's around 15 eateries on the riverside (well canal side as its the Kennet and Avon not the Thames) Greek, Lebanese, Mex a Steakhouse or two - the usual mix. All Bar One is cheapish and the Beer is ok. Las Iguanas for more Cocktails and spicy food.

No more pubs there, but theres usually an overpriced pop-up outside bar (goes up before Christmas, may already be there this week) but if you come out at the West side of the Centre, theres a few on the Walk back into town. Zero Degrees (micro brewery) Purple Turtle and some other bar next to it, Allied Arms (Proper Pub - only one left) and a few more eateries.

All very walkable, even when you've had a few.

I shall no doubt be doing that round in December after the works lunchtime xmas do!

Spot on. I don't suppose you know a pub with a big car park I can park my camper in. It doesn't have to be near the center. I've looked at the Palmer? 

1 hour ago, Drewswfc said:

Spot on. I don't suppose you know a pub with a big car park I can park my camper in. It doesn't have to be near the center. I've looked at the Palmer? 

Sorry, you've got me there. I do know some pubs have pay machines in their car parks these days - pay and then get validated behind bar - presumably to make sure you're using it as a customer. And I've not been in the Palmer (the one opposite Palmer Park I presume) - although I do know there's a good Indian Restaurant a few doors up - Miahs.