Loovens and Lees

8 goals conceded in their last 12 full games together.

0 Bristol City

1 Villa

1 Millwall

1 Preston 

1 Udders

0 Udders 

0 Ipswich

1 Derby

1 QPR

1 Newcastle

0 Rotherham 

1 Barnsley 

I know Loovens is less and less popular, and that many fans feel we need better distribution from our CBs, but that is one hell of a firm foundation.

A hugely under-valued partnership.

Just now, Holmowl said:

0 Bristol City

1 Villa

1 Millwall

1 Preston 

1 Udders

0 Udders 

0 Ipswich

1 Derby

1 QPR

1 Newcastle

0 Rotherham 

1 Barnsley 

I know Loovens is less and less popular, and that many fans feel we need better distribution from our CBs, but that is one hell of a firm foundation.

I love the fact that Lees always looks more assured with Loovens at the side of him. I'm a fan of clean sheets. Esepcially when we don't look like scoring.

I just wish old Glenn could pass the ball more than 6 inches so our midfield weren't having to come and fetch it all along.

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I love the fact that Lees always looks more assured with Loovens at the side of him. I'm a fan of clean sheets. Esepcially when we don't look like scoring.

I just wish old Glenn could pass the ball more than 6 inches so our midfield weren't having to come and fetch it all along.

Could be worse. Remember Laurie Madden....brought the ball down out of the air on a sixpence, eased the ball out of his feet like a dream, made himself space away from his opponent like a Rolls-Royce, then calmly and serenely curled an exquisite ball into row D of the South Stand.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

0 Bristol City

1 Villa

1 Millwall

1 Preston 

1 Udders

0 Udders 

0 Ipswich

1 Derby

1 QPR

1 Newcastle

0 Rotherham 

1 Barnsley 

That partnership is the foundation for achieving the play offs the last two seasons 

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Could be worse. Remember Laurie Madden....brought the ball down out of the air on a sixpence, eased the ball out of his feet like a dream, made himself space away from his opponent like a Rolls-Royce, then calmly and serenely curled an exquisite ball into row D of the South Stand.

To be honest, I'd take Laurie right now.

Goals scored when van Aken plays: 13 from 8 games (1.6pg)

Goals scored when Loovens plays: 5 from 6 games (0.8pg)

Points won when van Aken plays: 11 (1.4 points per game)

Points won when Loovens plays: 8 (1.3 points per game)

Average league position of teams van Aken has played against (as of today): 12th

Average league position of teams Loovens has played against (as of today): 11th

This (inadvertently) pretty much has been my thinking for a while... van Aken is being unfairly judged. With him in the side we haven't really suffered in terms of performances, indeed the only real change we see is a decrease in the goals scored in the game. There's no doubt he is a better defender than van Aken, but having a CB that offers a quicker pass to maintain tempo is a powerful asset for a side that can't create any of their own. I think it's very easy to look at the clean sheet side of things and see an obvious improvement in that regard and be happy, especially with a CB because ultimately defending's their job. But don't overlook the other facets that a CB can bring, especially in the modern game. 

I'd be happy with either starting, but don't underestimate the power of the forward pass

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

To be honest, I'd take Laurie right now.

I know one thing for sure.....................Leon Clarke wouldnt have had the freedom of Hillsborough if  a 30 year old Lawrie Madden had played against him.

Edited by sheriwozgod

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

0 Bristol City

1 Villa

1 Millwall

1 Preston 

1 Udders

0 Udders 

0 Ipswich

1 Derby

1 QPR

1 Newcastle

0 Rotherham 

1 Barnsley 

Personally see no issues with Loovens.

Soemone on here said yesterday if he didn't read the game so well he wouldn't be playing at this level? 

Like saying if Westwood didn't save as many shots he wouldn't be at this level.

Loovens is slow at passing the ball out but half the time it's because he has no options.

It's simple really.

Loovens and Lees are reasonably sound defensively but Loovens is hopeless on the ball. 

Other teams stand off with a smile on their face and let Westwood roll it to Loovens ( eventually that is when Westwood has got his brain in gear).

So Carlos let's stop giving it to Loovens. Let Westwood try and throw it quickly to someone else , quickly might be a problem, or if that's not on clear it, preferably down the wing so we have a chance of starting with a throw in their half

Sometimes it has to be passed across the back four, no problem with that, but let's stop Westwood giving the ball to Loovens 

Two seasons to recruit a beast CB that everyone could see we needed after the PO final.

We havent recruited better than we have in two seasons.

A woeful fact that means we go backwards as others improve.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It's simple really.

Loovens and Lees are reasonably sound defensively but Loovens is hopeless on the ball. 

Other teams stand off with a smile on their face and let Westwood roll it to Loovens ( eventually that is when Westwood has got his brain in gear).

So Carlos let's stop giving it to Loovens. Let Westwood try and throw it quickly to someone else , quickly might be a problem, or if that's not on clear it, preferably down the wing so we have a chance of starting with a throw in their half

Sometimes it has to be passed across the back four, no problem with that, but let's stop Westwood giving the ball to Loovens 

No argument with that. Loovens gets stick for being ponderous on the ball.....stop giving it to him so often Carlos.

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

No argument with that. Loovens gets stick for being ponderous on the ball.....stop giving it to him so often Carlos.

Last time i checked, Carlos has yet to play a single minute of football in his time at Hillsborough... 

• Haha 2

I have 3 problems with Loovens

1. His casual approach means he puts us under unnecessary pressure
  2. His slow starts to games until he realises we kicked off ten minutes ago
  3. The Chuckle Brothers "to me to you" act with Lees (not all his fault...I blame CC)

However, out of the permutations we have seen, him and Lees is currently the least worst option and that goals conceded record looks pretty good..

Loovens taking the sting out of the game is, I am sure, a deliberate strategy at times.

As I have always said, centre backs are there to defend and keep clean sheets.  These two do that very well.  They are a great combination.  Lees is a rough diamond, has decent quality but gets stuck in.  Loovens has been there and done it and has the pedigree of a rolls royce.  Not many in our league have played centre back against Ronaldo.

• Like 1

What these stats don't say is how the team was set up in front of them....ie  how much cover are we giving them by playing a deep lying  centre midfielder or either Bannan or Butterfield playing deep. It would be interesting to see the stats for Lees and Loovens should CC choose to play more attacking line ups.I'm not saying Loovens and Lees are not our best pairing, but what I'm asking is just how good are they without a defensive midfield ?

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Agreed. It is getting to the stage though where we really need another player who can fit in alongside Lees if only as reliable cover.