Is it that bad?

Sat in a pub, reading the paper with a pint. Looking at the championship table for the first time in a few weeks and... Are things really as bad as myself and a few others making out?

we are in touching distance of the top six and we have lost 5 games but so have united! Looking at the table everyone is losing a game or 2. 

I'm no fan of CC and still think he's not getting the best from this squad but seeing the table today has given me a eye opener. We are still up there! 

I feel wolves will win the league but second spot is up for grabs with about 6 teams fighting for it and I feel that now includes us. 

Going to the pub cos my wife has friends around with their kids was the best thing I've done to change my mood about Wednesday. 

C'mon Wednesday. WAWAW

Exactly. We've just won at Villa away, drawn with 3rd in the league and sit 2 points off the playoffs with 2/3rds of the season to go. 

With a team that isn't firing yet. I'd be more worried if they were playing to their full potential. 

It really isn't that bad.  

No it's not that bad. The negative disease has spread amongst fans, coupled with the modern day sense of entitlement which has made everyone impatient. 

It isn't that bad, im not going to let it ruin my weekend, or life as some people are. 

Im still going to appreciate I go to hillsborough to watch Hooper, Bannan and co rather than the dross of the past 17 years. 

Am I a happy clapper? No. But I'm not letting it rule my life or turn me into a negative, moaning person which feeds onto the next person and so on. 

Getting irate or bitter, over something you can't control, serves no purpose in the grand scheme of your life. 

Albeit the derby was an exception to the above, and do think we should be  improving on where we are.

WAWAW. 

Edited by WhiteOwl91
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

No it's not that bad. The negative disease has spread amongst fans, coupled with the modern day sense of entitlement which has made everyone impatient. 

It isn't that bad, im not going to let it ruin my weekend, or life as some people are. 

Im still going to appreciate I go to hillsborough to watch Hooper, Bannan and co rather than the dross of the past 17 years. 

Am I a happy clapper? No. But I'm not letting it rule my life or turn me into a negative, moaning person which feeds onto the next person and so on. 

Getting irate or bitter, over something you can't control, serves no purpose in the grand scheme of your life. 

WAWAW. 

You'll be getting banned with that attitude.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vulva said:

Exactly. We've just won at Villa away, drawn with 3rd in the league and sit 2 points off the playoffs with 2/3rds of the season to go. 

With a team that isn't firing yet. I'd be more worried if they were playing to their full potential. 

It really isn't that bad.  

When are we going to start firing? 

Gonna leave it until the top 2 get 20 points ahead of us? 

Wake up. Carlos said when he signed his new contract it's key we get off to a better start this season because that's what cost us automatic the past two seasons. 

News flash we've had a poor start for our standards. And now have a lot of catching up to do to "continually improve" under CC. We're making hard work of a poor league not getting the best out of what we've got. We're plodding a long whilst other teams are taking it to sides and going for it. We are slow, predictable and play with no urgency for the vast majority of games. 

The club rhemselves have have raised expectations through what they've said. "Continuous improvement" "we will get promoted" "150th year in the Premier League". Not all promises but words that raise expectation levels. 

Underperforming tripe bar 3 games for me this season. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 minutes ago, KernowOwl said:

Sat in a pub, reading the paper with a pint. Looking at the championship table for the first time in a few weeks and... Are things really as bad as myself and a few others making out?

we are in touching distance of the top six and we have lost 5 games but so have united! Looking at the table everyone is losing a game or 2. 

I'm no fan of CC and still think he's not getting the best from this squad but seeing the table today has given me a eye opener. We are still up there! 

I feel wolves will win the league but second spot is up for grabs with about 6 teams fighting for it and I feel that now includes us. 

Going to the pub cos my wife has friends around with their kids was the best thing I've done to change my mood about Wednesday. 

C'mon Wednesday. WAWAW

12 points behind them though and they look so, so much better than us this season. For me though it's not about the table just yet; still all to play for. It's the way we play more often than not; listless, dull and negative. That's why United are 12 points ahead of us despite losing the same number..... they go for the wins.

Football is an entertainment industry. Carlos is failing on this score, as he did last season, As you say there is still all to play for but only promotion would compensate for the drab stuff being consistently dished up.

He's not going anywhere though so expect the remainder of this season to be a dour slog.

Guest Jack the Hat

Zero shots on target in 90 minutes at home. Boring boring football and underperforming with one of the best squads in the league. Yes it is that bad. We should be challenging for the top 2 but aren't even close. The odd good result papers over the cracks whilst at the same time highlighting the potential of the squad. If you are happy with this then you have much lower expectations than me.

Reminds me of parts of last season - frustrated in the performances but we always remained there and there abouts. Problem is we're not learning or changing to improve - just doing the same things over and over again hoping the end result will change. We may or may not make the play offs, but I wanted continuous improvement. 

This will be the last year adopting this style and tactics so we may as well keep watching and hope for the best.

10 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Zero shots on target in 90 minutes at home. Boring boring football and underperforming with one of the best squads in the league. Yes it is that bad. We should be challenging for the top 2 but aren't even close. The odd good result papers over the cracks whilst at the same time highlighting the potential of the squad. If you are happy with this then you have much lower expectations than me.

Good post

My thoughts exactly

We’ve been pottering along picking up results for the past 16 months without getting out of 3rd gear

Huddersfield at home and Reading at Wembley stood in our way of a return to the Premier league and we blew it

The division is average this year,  and we are blowing another golden opportunity of this time automatic promotion

People are right to be frustrated 

Edited by Stoop

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

Good post

My thoughts exactly

We’ve been struggling along picking up results for the past 16 months without getting out of 3rd gear

Huddersfield at home and And Reading at Wembley stood in our way of a return to the Premier league and we blew it

The division is average this year,  and we are blowing another golden opportunity of this time automatic promotion

People are right to be frustrated 

Spot on. Are our fans happy that Bristol City, Cardiff and Sheff Utd are amongst the favourites for automatic promotion? If I were DC I’d be livid. 

25 minutes ago, KernowOwl said:

C'mon Wednesday. WAWAW

Think youre missing the point. Yes we are in touching distance and that is the worst thing. We never reach it. We never do it. We are always just a few points away. 2 play off campaign losses show we are nearly there yet not. 

Then we go and take 2 points from 12 against the bottom 4. Well thats your 'nearly' there points.

We are not improving under Carlos. Just staying the same nearly men as always. How can you follow 2 wins with that boring dross of a 0-0. At least try and win the game.

Rightly or wrongly people are fed up of watching the way we play and the way we approach games. 

23 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Albeit the derby was an exception to the above, and do think we should be  improving on where we are.

WAWAW. 

Absolutelyfuckingbastardingswearinginthefuckingfamilystandspotongeezer.

• Haha 3

We are currently on course to get 65 points this season. 

I think its 90 points that will usually get you 2nd spot. So we need 66 points from our remaining 29 games. That's an average of 2.3 points per game required. Even if we won the next 5 games (which we wont), we'd only be on track for 81 points.

Now I'd say that's a long shot but possible if we were playing well and showing encouraging signs of improvement. But we play well one game a month. 

This season is over if Carlos stays in charge. A change now might just get us in the playoffs. 

Edited by jonesy87shef

6 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Lost to Brum, Lost to bolton, drawn to burton. The football is utter garbage. We will sleepwalk to mid table if we keep tolerating performances like yesterday. 

But ....but ....but we beat villa away ....

• Haha 1

Yesterday was massively tedious to watch, but IMO responsibility for that lies 35-65 between us and Bristol, who came to spoil and press, and did it very well. If they'd nicked it by a goal, theirs would've been a similar performance to both of ours against Newcastle last season, and from our perspective that was us showing brilliant game management. The key difference yesterday, of course, was that both teams were pretty awful on the ball - so it ended up looking more like a round of It's A Knockout than a game of masters chess. It was frustrating and not much fun for us as the home team looking to apply the pressure.

But no, on the whole it's not that bad. We're well within the zone for climbing into the top six with a decent run, and that should always be our aim. Well, top two should be the aim, obviously, but I mean top six is the realistic baseline requirement given the team we currently have.

Note also that an aim is just that - sometimes you'll fall short of it, and very rarely you'll exceed it, and both outcomes have to be handled and learned from. But I still don't see any clear reason to assume we're not going to finish top six this season.

We do need to dial the whole thing up a bit though, and soon. We're far too leisurely and restrained and cautious, which really winds the fans up (and fair enough given the prices). Creates a frustrated and bitter atmosphere that spoils game days - but far worse than that, I don't think that approach is actually helping our results the way it ultimately did last season.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Yesterday was massively tedious to watch, but IMO responsibility for that lies 35-65 between us and Bristol, who came to spoil and press, and did it very well. If they'd nicked it by a goal, theirs would've been a similar performance to both of ours against Newcastle last season, and from our perspective that was us showing brilliant game management. The key difference yesterday, of course, was that both teams were pretty awful on the ball - so it ended up looking more like a round of It's A Knockout than a game of masters chess. It was frustrating and not much fun for us as the home team looking to apply the pressure.

But no, on the whole it's not that bad. We're well within the zone for climbing into the top six with a decent run, and that should always be our aim. Well, top two should be the aim, obviously, but I mean top six is the realistic baseline requirement given the team we currently have.

Note also that an aim is just that - sometimes you'll fall short of it, and very rarely you'll exceed it, and both outcomes have to be handled and learned from. But I still don't see any clear reason to assume we're not going to finish top six this season.

We do need to dial the whole thing up a bit though, and soon. We're far too leisurely and restrained and cautious, which really winds the fans up (and fair enough given the prices). Creates a frustrated and bitter atmosphere that spoils game days - but far worse than that, I don't think that approach is actually helping our results the way it ultimately did last season.

I think the league will end up being very tight, with a few points in it from the play offs down to mid table. We'll probably be there and there abouts but we'll probably end up with less points than last season. Who knows, we may end up playing Bristol City over two legs in the play offs - that's how average the league is.