Success...what is it for you?

It's easy to get carried away and see improvement as a success. So what is success in football?

Is it getting to the play-off places?

Is it getting to the playoff final?

Is it getting to the Premiership?

Is it staying in the Premiership?

Is it winning the Premiership?

Is it winning the Champions League?

In terms of footballing success...we have been in the Championship for the past 5 years and we are still there in or around mid-table. How high can we go to say we are successful?

At the moment, winning a game at Hillsborough and playing some exciting attacking football would do for starters. Oh... and scoring a few goals. 

In terms of this season, a play off final would seem to be a massive success because we feel miles off at the moment. However if we get there we need to win or we're back to square one again. 

As we ‘celebrate’ seven years since the club was served with a winding up order and St Milan stepped in to rescue us, I see success as being the strides the club has made since then. Yes we now need to kick on, yes it can get frustrating, but I am realistic enough to accept that establishing ourselves as a championship club was key. I am thankful I still have a club to support and hopeful that we’ll be back where we belong soon. I guess it’s the sheer hope that is the most frustrating!  

• Like 1

As fans our definition of success is probably a year on year improvement but if we had a shocker of a year I think surviving in this division would be considered a success.

Since DC took over what the fans think has been secondary to the target he set which is promotion to the Premiership. The 1st year was successful in that we ended up 1 win away from the Premiership, last year felt like a failure because we went out of the play offs with a whimper although the league position could still be considered a success.

This year I think most fans expected us to have a good go at top 2 so we are currently unimpressed but I suppose going up via the play offs would still be a success.

No promotion this year will feel like failure.

3 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

For me, a successful season is when your club shows progress from the previous season

Agreed. Success for me this season would be finishing with more points and in a higher position than we did last season. If we can keep on doing that, then a return to the Premiership is only a matter of time.

After two play-off campaigns and 6th and 4th placed finishes, for me this was the season when we should have been raising the bar and having a real tilt at automatic promotion. And when I see how average a lot of the teams around us are I think this is absolutely achievable. In that context, not doing at least as well as we did last season will be failure in my eyes.

13 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Agreed. Success for me this season would be finishing with more points and in a higher position than we did last season. If we can keep on doing that, then a return to the Premiership is only a matter of time.

After two play-off campaigns and 6th and 4th placed finishes, for me this was the season when we should have been raising the bar and having a real tilt at automatic promotion. And when I see how average a lot of the teams around us are I think this is absolutely achievable. In that context, not doing at least as well as we did last season will be failure in my eyes.

Last season was failure in my eyes

After losing in the play off final, I expected promotion from an average division

Carlos should have walked after going out with a whimper v Huddersfield

This season, the division is even weaker

Carlos isn’t getting the best out of the players at his disposal

No shots on target at home, doesn’t sound like a team chasing promotion to me

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Playoffs.

A huge majority of fans are still under the impression if you spend a fair amount of ££ in the Championship its enough to make you instantly the best team in the league and get you promoted.

Sadly football has massively changed in the last 15 years and now all the competition has ££, teams are better, the standard of football is higher, salaries are more lucrative and so fans expectations sky rocket.

It's very hard to find the winning formula to make the PL, manager + players + tactics don't come in the short term, it's a long slog for most teams to become successful by getting promoted to the PL and staying there. Remember the big picture isn't just to go up, get beat every week, get relegated and then start form square one again, the big picture is to get promoted and remain there - like Southampton, Swansea & West Brom all have done.

We have all the resources right now to be a top championship contender for the next 5 years, the infrastructure at the club is now solid, we've just had the best two years of football in almost the last 20? Fans need to be patient and trust the process.

• Like 1

Seeing the team go out and take teams on , trying to get some goals and winning more games than we lose.

I reckon 85 of clubs  have fans who'd be  happy with that rather than the caginess which has taken a foothold.

92 teams in the league.  Only a handful ever win anything. 

Still enjoy going...

Price worries me more than "Getting to the Prem"...Sure I would like to see Wednesday back up there, but honestly...If it meant I was watchin' or listening outside Hillsborough...I'd take attending and dropping a league.

I'm not really a football fan, Happy clapper?...Yea probably, I make no apologies for that.

Idiotic posts from such as "Zimmy" that add absolutely f.ok all to a debate about football, but simply try and ridicule fans that haven't quite reached breaking point yet, I find absolutely laughable..

Same as the the "Carlos in" folk that don't see owt wrong at all, and ridicule anyone who does, and gives a reason for it....

On here its simply going 

"Idiot"

No your an idiot"

"YOU'RE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS!"

Boring as f.ook TBH

Then there are the "Sadly departed"...Martyred posts giving the reasons why after year on year they have finally "Given up the ghost"...Cos of prices?...I could understand that..but no..Its "Because the football is crap"..

It actually isn't...Ive seen it crap...(Still enjoyed meself)

We are playing better football over the last 2 years than we have played for a very long time..Thats my opinion...if its not yours...I really haven't got a problem with your point of view..I simply don't agree with it...Its hardly debate on here lately..its "Yer Mam" sh * t

Guest mrbluesky
6 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

At the moment, winning a game at Hillsborough and playing some exciting attacking football would do for starters. Oh... and scoring a few goals. 

In terms of this season, a play off final would seem to be a massive success because we feel miles off at the moment. However if we get there we need to win or we're back to square one again. 

Excellent post, we are at  square 1 and are a 3rd of the way through season, CC will be with us until the end of the season and I just hope a miracle happens and we come out of this.

In all honesty I don’t think we will, I still feel he hasn’t got the full support of the playing staff, he’s tried to implement a structure of play that isn’t quite working, I’ll admit there’s things that ARE working but there is things that aren’t, We have a team that’s so disjointed from the goalkeeper to our forward line 

Take a look at how many times Lees burst forward to try and create space, this is a centre half who at most should be doing this a couple of times in a game but he does it on a regular basis, so he’s basically taking on a midfielders roll, you have to start asking why he’s doing this and the answer is in my opinion we are to rigid in midfield,

Our full backs get marked out of the game (like yesterday) so we have no width and we are very narrow and conjested in midfield so what happens Lees pushes forward to try and drag players in but it NEVER works.

Its a simplistic answer for me and it’s play with winger(s) and herein lies the problem CC thinks this role can be incorporated by our full backs and supporting midfielders.

The only way he can make that work is to have 11 players at it for 90 minutes and he hasn’t, Rhodes will never ever chase players for 90 minutes nor will Hooper, look at Bannan the first season CC was in charge he covered every blade of grass, this season he chases a few balls down.

Ive rambled enough and I’m well aware we are all football managers lol