Barry Bannan too deep

Not a Bannan bashing thread as I rate the guy (but I also dont buy into the sometimes over the top adulation), but I think I understand football and I cannot get my head around this. 

Why when we have the ball in the middle third does he drop so deep to obtain it? On several occasions he slotted in alongside Lees and Loovens. When he is pretty much our only playmaker (Lee was on the bench) and we have no wingers, there are no options for him anyway and the only thing he can do is play a 5 yard pass to Lees or a "Hollywood" ball - which often doesn't come off.

If anyone can enlighten me please do because it frustrates me like flip! 

Edited by One De Bilde
Error

It's because Loovens and Lees are painfully bad on the ball and so slow in moving it forward (in particular Loovens). Bannan has to come and help them take it off them to get things moving. 

I thought Van Aken would address this problem a defender comfortable in possession. But  he's shocking at the defensive side of things.

Absolutely terrible recruitment and not strengthening on our weaknesses.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

It's what tends to happen when we're playing poorly. Players like Bannan just want to be on the ball (which is a good thing) and they'll come looking for it if they're not getting it. He wasn't involved so much in the first half, and his response was similar to how he played most of last season.

To be fair to Bannan though, this season he's been excellent and generally played much further forward.

Hooper was dropping much deeper than usual too today - and you could see how frustrated he was getting with the game.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It's because Loovens and Lees are painfully bad on the ball and so slow in moving it forward (in particular Loovens). Bannan has to come and help them take it off them to get things moving. 

I thought Van Aken would address this problem and defender comfortable in possession. But  he's shocking at the defensive side of things.

Absolutely terrible recruitment and not strengthening on our weaknesses.

This is half of the story .

The other part is that he drops deeper when it gets too tough.

We won nothing in central midfield today, we were outnumbered and out-battled so Bannan drops deep so at least he gets a kick 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Personally find it hilarious Loovens is still playing for us. May well be a good captain and that but he's well past his sell by date. If it wasn't for his reading of the game he would not be playing at this level anymore.

He seems to get the best out of Lees too though.

Both Hutchinson or van Aken also made Lees look much poorer, irrespective of how they themselves would play.

Butterfield  should have dropped deep not Bannan although they both played pretty deep - under instructions I presume ... Bannan was excellent last two games higher up the pitch - CC’s negative, scared of the opposition tactics again 

Edited by elvin parsnip

Rhodes' goal v Villa came from Bannan linking the play in the attacking third the game after hes back playing in the defensive third what the hell does Carlos say to him? any other team worth there salt in this division would play him as forward as possible CONSISTANTLY

5 minutes ago, elvin parsnip said:

Butterfield  should have dropped deep not Bannan although they both played pretty deep - under instructions I presume ... Bannan was excellent last two games higher up the pitch - CC’s negative, scared of the opposition tactics again 

Totally agree. A couple of times Bannan pushed on and ran at the defence and opened them up - and should have been awarded a pen. Butterfield is a far better holding player and good enough on the ball to play the deep role picking up from the CHs. Not a dig a Bazza, he’s one of our best players this year - he just can’t do what he does getting under Looven’s feet. 

11 minutes ago, elvin parsnip said:

It was flip all to do with negative tactics. Bannan started high up the pitch, or didn't you notice that, but the opposition pushed on him and he drops deeper and deeper because he can't stand the heat.

When he plays the position he started today his job is to drive us forward not retreat like an Italian tank.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It was flip all to do with negative tactics. Bannan started high up the pitch, or didn't you notice that, but the opposition pushed on him and he drops deeper and deeper because he can't stand the heat.

When he plays the position he started today his job is to drive us forward not retreat like an Italian tank.

Yep didn't seem too keen in against Pack

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I prefer him on the left as he was for most of his first season here, and some of this one.

He's out of the engine room, has less responsibility and tends to get on the ball in better areas. 

The 2 CM roles in Carlos' system are incredibly tough to play and Bannan's not effective enough, often enough in there. 

We’ve said this a few times when we’ve played the diamond but I wonder about the balance and whether he offers enough cover to the left back. Would you drop Adam Reach for Bazza as well. Reach has improved loads and is starting to look like a threat. 

24 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

This is half of the story .

The other part is that he drops deeper when it gets too tough.

We won nothing in central midfield today, we were outnumbered and out-battled so Bannan drops deep so at least he gets a kick 

Correct...he needs to be brave and get forward not go backwards

I was saying this all the way through the match. Where is Bannan? Why is Bannan so far back? The people around me must have been sick of hearing it. Point being when Bannan plays well,  Wednesday play well. When Bannan plays attacking football and gets forward,  we look awesome. When Butterfield went off it was inevitable he was going to drop even deeper. However,  the one time Bannan did get into their box, City **** themselves and couldn't handle him. Why oh why did he go down though? Seemed very annoyed. Was like a toddler throwing a tantrum and thought he would get a booking for arguing. Said at time, why would he react like that if it wasn't a genuine penalty? 

Anyway not sure if him playing deep was tactics or City playing him out of game. Lee Johnson has said on many occasions he admires Bannan and rates him as our most dangerous player and would sign him tomorrow if he could. At times in that match I had to look around the pitch for him because I wasn't sure where he was. He seemed to be playing over on the left a lot and Reach at one bit was playing more central and ahead of Hooper. Bizarre. 

• Like 1

I've already said he's not better than Zidane and he's not better than Barry Bannan from two years ago, and he needs to get it out of his head. Whether it's tactics or Bannan himself, weeing around with Hollywood balls doesn't help the team. He needs to be in the final third running at defenders.