Jordan Rhodes : What did Carlos mean when he said this?

1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

My emboldening, sorry, but I agree totally with the statement. Football is basically a VERY SIMPLE GAME. You put the ball into the back of your opponents' goal more than they put it in yours, and if you don't shoot, you don't score !!!!

Yep, paying a fortune for all these coaches and managers is just a waste of money - the chairman should cut the waste and tell the 11 most experienced players not in the sick bay that they are playing and tell them to attack - job done.

2 minutes ago, Day before Thursday said:

He was saying that the way football is played changes over time and if you don't adapt you get found out and left behind. He spoke specifically about the Championship and more teams playing out from the back and the important role the front players have in stopping this.

Most importantly he said that JR had now adapted his play and that he was very pleased with his recent performances. 

JR will play tomorrow IMO.

If you have the internet try listening to the press conference - it is available on the SWFC site. 

Hi Carlos lol

15 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Why do we have to have this constant call for 'a 20 goal a year striker' all the time. Its so much better if we have 3 or 4 players chipping in with 7 or 8 a season. The 'lone striker' is a dead loss in current day football, since it is so easy to mark out a lone striker. All the attackers should be able to score, and score frequently. For years, Wdnesday have played a lone striker. The number of chances that go begging whilst a player 'gets the ball on to his best foot' Every footballer will have a 'better' foot, but should be able to use TWO feet. and be prepared to shoot at any often part-given opportunity.

Incidentally, I was  taken to the game by my wife , who at one time used too follow the game regularly. She casually commented after the game after I asked if she'd enjoyed it , replied 'Yes. The one thing I noticed is that they seem to play the ball in the air much more than I remember though'

Because after Gary Hooper the next highest goal scorer is Keiren Lee with 3 goals 16 games into the season.

This is why we need a 20 goals a season man because our midfield between them don't get 20 goals in a season unlike every other championship contenders for promotion they have 5 or 6 people scoring goals we don't.

2 minutes ago, Day before Thursday said:

Yep, paying a fortune for all these coaches and managers is just a waste of money - the chairman should cut the waste and tell the 11 most experienced players not in the sick bay that they are playing and tell them to attack - job done.

Not quite as simple as that I did say that you've got to hit the back of your opponents' net more often than they do yours.

3 minutes ago, poite said:

There's only one change I want to see, and it isn't on the field

Smoke rooms outside ?

7 minutes ago, Day before Thursday said:

He was saying that the way football is played changes over time and if you don't adapt you get found out and left behind. He spoke specifically about the Championship and more teams playing out from the back and the important role the front players have in stopping this.

Most importantly he said that JR had now adapted his play and that he was very pleased with his recent performances. 

JR will play tomorrow IMO.

If you have the internet try listening to the press conference - it is available on the SWFC site. 

Remember this is Carlos it is nailed on that he will drop JR for Fletcher and drop Butters for Lee. 

Carlos has his favourite and when they are fit he either drops the player playing well or picks an unbalance team to play them like 3 central midfielders in a midfield of 4.

If Carlos has learnt nothing from the last two games then the formation will be

Westwood

Hunt/Lees/Looven/Pudil

Wallace/Lee/Bannan/Reach

Fletcher/Hooper

I hope its

Westwood

Lees/Looven/Van Aken

Hunt/Lees/Butters/Bannan/Reach

Hooper/Rhodes

If you listen to the rest of the interview, he's saying that in the Championship all teams used to play long and defenders used to just lump it up, so as a forward you didn't have much defensive work to do.  Now most teams play out from the back and pass it short, strikers have to press the opposition defences and chase them down to make them make a mistake and win possession back.  No one had clearly asked Rhodes to do that before (probably because managers just felt it was worth carrying him whilst defending as he had such a great finishing ratio).

Nowadays fewer managers are willing to accept this lack of defensive work from their forwards (in the same way few will now by a defender who can't pass at all).  The most high profile example is Aguero who scored loads of goals but Pep didn't fancy because he didn't do enough work for the team.  Now he's been taught how to do that Aguero is better than ever.  Hopefully Rhodes will be the same. 

57 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Remember this is Carlos it is nailed on that he will drop JR for Fletcher and drop Butters for Lee. 

Carlos has his favourite and when they are fit he either drops the player playing well or picks an unbalance team to play them like 3 central midfielders in a midfield of 4.

If Carlos has learnt nothing from the last two games then the formation will be

Westwood

Hunt/Lees/Looven/Pudil

Wallace/Lee/Bannan/Reach

Fletcher/Hooper

I hope its

Westwood

Lees/Looven/Van Aken

Hunt/Lees/Butters/Bannan/Reach

Hooper/Rhodes

Has someone cloned Tom Lees?

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Slip of the finger should be Lee - cheers - but he could do a job in the middle could be the creative and ball winner we are missing rofl

I actually imagine the team will be close to unchanged barring injury following two wins on the bounce - and why shouldn't it be?

4 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I actually imagine the team will be close to unchanged barring injury following two wins on the bounce - and why shouldn't it be?

That's what I hope for but Carlos does have a knack of messing with the team to get his favourite back into the line up at the expense of the team and those players who deserve the right to play based on the last performance at Villa.

I would like to see one of the youngsters on the bench say Penney or OGrady or dare I risk say GH and if with 20 minutes left we are 2 or 3 up, give them sum game time, Left back has been a real problem area for us and I hear Penney has a shot and half on him. But we will probably have Nuihu and Palmer, Pudil there instead who unless Fox or Hunt are injured will not be used and Nuihu i think is only there because they need some one to balance the bench.

3 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

He’s basically saying we need to play like our friends on the other side of the city :columbo:

I'll have some of that.

He is right, football is changing, the style that we are trying to play is 10 years out of date, the Barca style, that is old hat now and every one tries to play the same, giving ground to the opposition and then a slow build up by keeping possession.

Football has moved on since those days, now it is about pressing the opposition in their own half.

If you like, it has gone backwards to go forwards.

English football is about the three P's, POWER, PACE and PURPOSE, and that is how Football is being played today.

I think Bristol City will play that way against us tomorrow, while we still stick in the past.

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I assume all these posters who are  having a go at Carlos in advance about dropping Rhodes, dropping Butterfield and "shoehorning" , whatever that means, will be straight on here to apologise if we are unchanged tomorrow 

Don't hold your breath  lol 

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

That's what I hope for but Carlos does have a knack of messing with the team to get his favourite back into the line up at the expense of the team and those players who deserve the right to play based on the last performance at Villa.

I would like to see one of the youngsters on the bench say Penney or OGrady or dare I risk say GH and if with 20 minutes left we are 2 or 3 up, give them sum game time, Left back has been a real problem area for us and I hear Penney has a shot and half on him. But we will probably have Nuihu and Palmer, Pudil there instead who unless Fox or Hunt are injured will not be used and Nuihu i think is only there because they need some one to balance the bench.

I can see your point regarding Penney and O'Grady but it would be stupid to put GH on the bench when he hasn't trained all season

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Because after Gary Hooper the next highest goal scorer is Keiren Lee with 3 goals 16 games into the season.

This is why we need a 20 goals a season man because our midfield between them don't get 20 goals in a season unlike every other championship contenders for promotion they have 5 or 6 people scoring goals we don't.

Our midfield last season did score 20. In fact, 21.

Lee 5

Forestieri 5 ( 5 of his 12 were from LW)

Wallace 5

Reach 3

Bannan 1

Hutch 1 

Abdi 1

Im not sure how that compares to the midfields of other top sides, but I'm guessing it's reasonable.