Jordan Rhodes : What did Carlos mean when he said this?

Just me that thinks the championship isn't changing then?

Teams who get promoted are tight at the back, attack teams and score goals. 

The top 2 in the table are doing it now. 

Brighton did it, Newcastle did and even Huddersfield did.

Play to Jordans strengths and he will get you at least 20 goals a season.

Cannot get much easier, unless he means head coaches are trying to over complicate the game and play chess? So we need to slow it down and think.

Id rather we do what the top two do.

• Like 1

The proof of the pudding will be if the new style JR gets 20 goals this season playing the Carlos way. If he does then all is good, if he doesn't then CC will have hammered a square peg into a round hole and ruined one of the best goal scorers this division has seen.

When will the club learn to buy players already capable of playing the system we want to play. It's pointless buying someone who can do one thing and hoping he can retrain to do another. Abdi is a case in point, great in a midfield 3 struggles in a 2. There are any number of attackers available for say £10m who could do what we want. We've had Rhodes nearly a year and he's only now competent to start games. What a waste. 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Jordan Rhodes Carlos Carvalhal.jpg

"Jordan, it’s not difficult to explain, he played all the time in one way, the Championship played in one way for a long time but the Championship is changing."

What carlos should be saying is " we are lucky to have the best forward the championship has seen over the past decade , a proven goalscorer , so we need to play to his strengths " 

Why do we have to have this constant call for 'a 20 goal a year striker' all the time. Its so much better if we have 3 or 4 players chipping in with 7 or 8 a season. The 'lone striker' is a dead loss in current day football, since it is so easy to mark out a lone striker. All the attackers should be able to score, and score frequently. For years, Wdnesday have played a lone striker. The number of chances that go begging whilst a player 'gets the ball on to his best foot' Every footballer will have a 'better' foot, but should be able to use TWO feet. and be prepared to shoot at any often part-given opportunity.

Incidentally, I was  taken to the game by my wife , who at one time used too follow the game regularly. She casually commented after the game after I asked if she'd enjoyed it , replied 'Yes. The one thing I noticed is that they seem to play the ball in the air much more than I remember though'

1 hour ago, Teflon Don said:

Just me that thinks the championship isn't changing then?

Teams who get promoted are tight at the back, attack teams and score goals. 

The top 2 in the table are doing it now. 

Brighton did it, Newcastle did and even Huddersfield did.

Play to Jordans strengths and he will get you at least 20 goals a season.

Cannot get much easier, unless he means head coaches are trying to over complicate the game and play chess? So we need to slow it down and think.

Id rather we do what the top two do.

No I'm with you here.

Dont see any difference to how Brighton set up last year to how we set up. And it worked just fine for Murray who Im sure didn't alter his tried and tested methods. The difference is that Brighton were very positive last year.

I think people get drawn into thinking football is cleverer and more complicated than it is.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

No I'm with you here.

Dont see any difference to how Brighton set up last year to how we set up. And it worked just fine for Murray who Im sure didn't alter his tried and tested methods. The difference is that Brighton were very positive last year.

I think people get drawn into thinking football is cleverer and more complicated than it is.

My emboldening, sorry, but I agree totally with the statement. Football is basically a VERY SIMPLE GAME. You put the ball into the back of your opponents' goal more than they put it in yours, and if you don't shoot, you don't score !!!!

He was saying that the way football is played changes over time and if you don't adapt you get found out and left behind. He spoke specifically about the Championship and more teams playing out from the back and the important role the front players have in stopping this.

Most importantly he said that JR had now adapted his play and that he was very pleased with his recent performances. 

JR will play tomorrow IMO.

If you have the internet try listening to the press conference - it is available on the SWFC site.